Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can you guys help me find someone who has put a 99+ bumper on a 96-98?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you guys help me find someone who has put a 99+ bumper on a 96-98?

I have the front and rear bumpers off of a later 3rd gen limited 4runner. I'm going to have them pained to match my cladding and flares later this week. Sounds like the front bumper will require a bit of welding. I need to be able to forecast any additional obstacles. Will the turn signal harnesses fit? Are the wires long enough? Any other issues? I know that SOMEONE on this board has completed this mod. Any ideas on how much I should pay to have the front bumper installed?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM dbikeman. He did the swap on his rig awhile back. Only difference was, he used a bumper from a 99 SR5.

George
Old 06-12-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
I have the front and rear bumpers off of a later 3rd gen limited 4runner. I'm going to have them pained to match my cladding and flares later this week. Sounds like the front bumper will require a bit of welding. I need to be able to forecast any additional obstacles. Will the turn signal harnesses fit? Are the wires long enough? Any other issues? I know that SOMEONE on this board has completed this mod. Any ideas on how much I should pay to have the front bumper installed?

I put an 01 front bumper on my 96, It was actually pretty easy to do. You'll have to use the 01 bumper brackets, One of the holes will line up, but you will have to drill the bumper bracket to mount up to the mount on your frame, The only part that will take some work is the end supports. I haven't quite figured out what to do with those just yet, so when i go over bumps, my bumper wiggles a little.

Steve
Old 06-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalVP
I put an 01 front bumper on my 96, It was actually pretty easy to do. You'll have to use the 01 bumper brackets, One of the holes will line up, but you will have to drill the bumper bracket to mount up to the mount on your frame, The only part that will take some work is the end supports. I haven't quite figured out what to do with those just yet, so when i go over bumps, my bumper wiggles a little.

Steve
I have the Limited bumper off of a 99. Do I need to purchase the 01 brackets separately? Does the wiring for the turns match up OK? Does the wiggling make a noise? Thanks a lot for the input guys. I just want to make sure I'm not getting in too deep.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:37 PM

I have the Limited bumper off of a 99. Do I need to purchase the 01 brackets separately? Does the wiring for the turns match up OK? Does the wiggling make a noise? Thanks a lot for the input guys. I just want to make sure I'm not getting in too deep.

I tried to attach it using the 96 bumper brackets, but there's no way it will fit using these. You'll need the brackets from a 99-02 or fab your own...

The plugs will fit with a little trimming of the key. but they don't snap into place. I have some weatherproofing that seal mine together. The bulbs from your 98 bumper won't work with the newer signals (I also tried that too). It doesn't make a lot of noise, but it looks cheap with it moving when i hit bumps. i have plans on fabricating some sort of bracket to make it attach to the 96 supports.

Steve
Old 06-12-2005, 08:20 PM

I tried to attach it using the 96 bumper brackets, but there's no way it will fit using these. You'll need the brackets from a 99-02 or fab your own...

The plugs will fit with a little trimming of the key. but they don't snap into place. I have some weatherproofing that seal mine together. The bulbs from your 98 bumper won't work with the newer signals (I also tried that too). It doesn't make a lot of noise, but it looks cheap with it moving when i hit bumps. i have plans on fabricating some sort of bracket to make it attach to the 96 supports.

Steve
Are the 98' bulbs too big? Any pics of your rig?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:23 PM

Are the 98' bulbs too big? Any pics of your rig?

Yes the bulbs on the 99-01 bumpers are a little skinnier, and a little longer, also the bases are different and wouldn't fit. i tried everything i could to get the 96 bulbs to work in the 01 bumper, so i didn't have to modify any of the wiring, but actually the shaving of the key's was pretty easy and only took a minute. Actually it took me less time to do that, than it did messing around with the bulbs...

Currently i don't have any current ones, but hopefully if my wife is picking up on my hints for fathers day, I'll get mine all polished up, get a new coat of paint on the roof rack and get some good pictures of it.

Steve
Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 PM

Yes the bulbs on the 99-01 bumpers are a little skinnier, and a little longer, also the bases are different and wouldn't fit. i tried everything i could to get the 96 bulbs to work in the 01 bumper, so i didn't have to modify any of the wiring, but actually the shaving of the key's was pretty easy and only took a minute. Actually it took me less time to do that, than it did messing around with the bulbs...

Currently i don't have any current ones, but hopefully if my wife is picking up on my hints for fathers day, I'll get mine all polished up, get a new coat of paint on the roof rack and get some good pictures of it.

Steve
I'd like to see em'! What color is yours? Here are some recent pics of mine including a narcissitic reflection shot.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 PM

I'd like to see em'! What color is yours? Here are some recent pics of mine including a narcissitic reflection shot.

According to my sources mine is Cardinal Red, It's a very bright radiant red that looks awesome when it's clean and shiny, but right now it's pretty oxidized and dirty. Once i get it all cleaned and polished up i'll post some pictures.

Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Steve
Which brackets are you referring to? I belive my 99' bumper came with these