Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you believe this happened to my TJM? *pics*

EDIT: PLEASE SEE MY UPDATE POST
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...087#post970087
========================

i ran paragon this past weekend for ttora minitakeover and was rubbing pretty bad with my swaybars disconnected.

the good news is, the truck did GREAT (ill post some pics up in the trip photo section) -- i ran high blues and low blacks and she did fantastic!

the bad news? on our way out of the park, we were coming down a steepish hill, and when i hit the bottom, my mud tire lugs caught the corner of my tjm and BENT IT DOWN AT A 90 DEG angle

heres what it looks like after i went in reverse to free the bumper from the tire and we put a hi-lift under that corner and pumped it back up. then removed the sides.

im weighing my options on what to do, most likely ill brace the mounts (they were damaged by rocks on the black trails) and strengthen the center, then have my friend bob the side pieces (cut a part of the middle out and reweld it together) and reattach them and deal with it in this horribly skewed way till i can figure something else out.

but i just cant believe this happened.

Last edited by lee; 08-17-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i did this to show how the bumper was before i reversed and we used a hi lift to skew it back up

Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OUCH!!!!! Looks like you had a fun time!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, never seen that happen before. Bummer dude, what size tires are those? I used to get my worst rubbing going down steep desents too, especially while turning on switch backs (Black Bear pass was the worst). But I never rubbed the TJM.

I welded on my TJM quite a bit, wings are welded on, bracing added under the wings and in front. That powder coat is hard to remove too, I sand blasted a lot of it. Pics here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...42310107rVHJHT
Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yeah i wish i had thought to do that. im gonna try to salvage it by bobbing the ends and having a buddy weld it together, maybe bracing it better. but the mounts are screwed up too now... so i really have to look into getting it to be a stronger bumper.

those are 305/70/16's... 33's.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

now your truck is looking like a real off road vehicle lol welcome back
Old 07-31-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Is that something that could be TJM's fault? That's horrible that you go out and get a bumper that should be able to withstand your off-road adventures to have your tires bend it out of place.

Not familiar w/ this type of stuff but makes one wonder...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Wow Lee

Never seen that before with only 33's. Mine do not touch at all at full stuff and turned.

I think you could easily fix that. Even the brackets should be fairly simple to straighten.

Sonoran makes a great set of replacement brackets that account for BL's, are much stronger and have built in shackle hangers. Real nice set-up to consider.

The locker was bad a** ahh? Cool deal!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the locker is the single greatest thing ive ever bought for this truck.

the sliders and budbuilt skids were also AMAZING. i bashed rocks on those hard ass black trails and walked away no problem. so awesome.

the locker is cool because you dont have to slam it up to get over something anymore. you can try walking up and if you dont make it, you reverse and bump it a little faster. thats all there is to it!

yeah i know about sonoran's product and am considering it, but funds are very low right now.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 AM

˟˟˟˟ I just bought one of those bumpers! But of course Im running swampers so maybe it will just rip the whole bumper off!

Aaron
Old 07-31-2006, 07:13 AM
lee
Contributing Member

im pretty sure im the first person this has ever happened to in the entire world
Old 07-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

hmmm... you probably are. you should have gotten an ARB - they don't do that!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i dont have arb money

and if i did, id spend it on a custom bumper instead.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Banned

:/ hmmm I hope my tjm15 doesnt do that up at Tellico
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lee
i dont have arb money

and if i did, id spend it on a custom bumper instead.

TJM = $450
ARB = $750

now you have a $450 TJM that's crumpled and you're about to have to buy new mounts that will run you at least $100. another $200 and you could've had one...

good luck with the fix...

[BTW- i'm just having a little fun w/ you if you can't tell]
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by lee
i ran paragon this past weekend for ttora minitakeover and was rubbing pretty bad with my swaybars disconnected.

the good news is, the truck did GREAT (ill post some pics up in the trip photo section) -- i ran high blues and low blacks and she did fantastic!

the bad news? on our way out of the park, we were coming down a steepish hill, and when i hit the bottom, my mud tire lugs caught the corner of my tjm and BENT IT DOWN AT A 90 DEG angle

heres what it looks like after i went in reverse to free the bumper from the tire and we put a hi-lift under that corner and pumped it back up. then removed the sides.

im weighing my options on what to do, most likely ill brace the mounts (they were damaged by rocks on the black trails) and strengthen the center, then have my friend bob the side pieces (cut a part of the middle out and reweld it together) and reattach them and deal with it in this horribly skewed way till i can figure something else out.

but i just cant believe this happened.
I would be happy to help you fix it if you like, it is all a part of modding vehicles,,,breaking stuff

I have torches, arc welder, kansas jack and a porta power....could fix that no problem

let me know

Tim

Last edited by BOSTON4RUNNER; 07-31-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

pff, nuts to ARB bumpers, we TJMs know what's up. ha

that sucks lee, makes me cautious about mine. i'm kinda surprised so far i haven't rubbed on the tjm wings, but i do expect to trim them someday.

while you're in there rebuilding the mounts make them extra strong so it's ready to handle a winch too.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
pff, nuts to ARB bumpers, we TJMs know what's up. ha

that sucks lee, makes me cautious about mine. i'm kinda surprised so far i haven't rubbed on the tjm wings, but i do expect to trim them someday.

while you're in there rebuilding the mounts make them extra strong so it's ready to handle a winch too.
yeah i thought of that too.

ive got the people to help me, i just need to figure out what i wanna do about it.

and delineating costs on how i couldve foretold a problem with my tjm is not helpful!

i can wheel it as it is right now, thats all that matters.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 AM

He also bashed his mounts on rocks, which caused them to bend in, so he might have a hard time getting new mounts to fit. Hopefully he can twist the bumper back up, mod the mounts (drill new holes or lengthen existing) and bob the wings, which should alleviate the problem. What he didn't mention is that he had my fat a$$ riding with him since my steering crapped out the first day. I think he should call TJM and complain about the quality, worse thing to happen is they tell him to shove off.
I spotted him over high blues, plus low to mid blacks. He ran Rattler, Drumstick, Whompum, part of Pick Your Poison, Muddy Pipline Bypass, Woodpecker, Rock Swamp, Chicken Run, plus a smattering of mid to low blue and green to get between them. He did awesome, that thing is definitely not a mall wheeler anymore and it is definitely time for a new rear bumper!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lee
the locker is the single greatest thing ive ever bought for this truck.

the sliders and budbuilt skids were also AMAZING. i bashed rocks on those hard ass black trails and walked away no problem. so awesome.

the locker is cool because you dont have to slam it up to get over something anymore. you can try walking up and if you dont make it, you reverse and bump it a little faster. thats all there is to it!

yeah i know about sonoran's product and am considering it, but funds are very low right now.
no, actually, that first statement is what matters most in this thread...

Quick Reply: Can you believe this happened to my TJM? *pics*