Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can someone tell me what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me what this is?

I like to wear my tires down as far as possible before buying new ones (might as well get my money's worth). This is my first set of Firestones (came on the truck). Now that I've worn them down pretty far, there are these ridges that occur every 15 inches or so. WTF? It makes for a rough ride. I've never seen this before. If someone tells me that it's to let people know that thier tires are getting worn, I'm going to be friggin' pissed. Have people become so damned stupid they can't tell when thier ˟˟˟˟˟˟ tires are worn?

Old 08-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Banned

those are the treadwear bars saying your tires are bald an need replacing... legally bald is at 2/32 of an inch and your tries are there
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep! you need some new shoes!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:37 PM

Ok. I'm pissed. The fact that people have become dumb enough not to be able to tell when it's time for new tires really ticks me off. Now, because of them, I can't wear my damned tires down to bald (as I like to) without having a crappy ride. Don't tell me that all tire companies are doing this now.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 08-18-2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, its a good idea. you get your tires too bald, stopping your vehicle when you have to apply your breaks hard becomes a saftey issue. not to mention the traction you loose while driving on wet roads. and, legally your required to have a minumum tread depth, get pulled over, your gonna get written up for that. some people just think that since they have good breaks or a reliable car that thats all they need, but its whats keeping you on the road and safe that matters most.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

One word:

Liability.

In a world where gun manufacturer's are getting sued because their product was involved in criminal activity I don't see why a person wouldn't sue because nobody told them their tires were getting bald.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
One word:

Liability.

In a world where gun manufacturer's are getting sued because their product was involved in criminal activity I don't see why a person wouldn't sue because nobody told them their tires were getting bald.
Good Lord, you are right. That is sad. I don't know what else to say.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Banned

i have been in the tire industry for over 6 years, and there has always been treadbars indicating the tires are bald... and it does present a safety issue... shame on you for wanting to run bald tires... its dangerous not only to yourself (which if you want to endanger yourself thats fine) but to the car full of kids that you just rearended becasue your bald tires couldnt stopp your truck adequately enough....
Old 08-18-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
... shame on you for wanting to run bald tires.......
Are you kidding me? You think having been in the tire industry for 6 years has earned you the right to pass judgement on me? I drive the thing every day, and believe me, I am a better judge of safety when it comes to my truck and my driving style than you are.

I can understand your comment if it was being directed towards a 16 year old kid. But I am a few years your elder - I have much more experience behind the wheel than you. If I want to run bald tires, rest assured that I am skilled enough to do it safely.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

thats great that since you feel you are smarter and wiser than me and know everything that you know you are safe...
Old 08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

at least my dumbass 22 year old brain knows thats a wearbar and that your tires are legally bald
Old 08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
I like to wear my tires down as far as possible before buying new ones (might as well get my money's worth).

hmm ... well, i'd say you've pretty much run those tires down as far as they're going to go before you start driving on a tire-less rim! please be careful if you continue to run them the way they are ... (note: not passing judgment, just hoping everyone stays safe!)

Last edited by r0cky; 08-18-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:49 PM

That's not what I said. And I'm sorry that's how you perceived it.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:52 PM

at least my dumbass 22 year old brain knows thats a wearbar and that your tires are legally bald
God I hope you've picked up at least that much after 6 years in the industry. After a comment like that, I'm left wondering why I'm even trying to explain myself to you.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 PM

I hope you're just joking. The tread wear marker has been around for a long time, on all tires. Wearing your tires that thin is NOT SAFE. You have very little traction, and are asking for a blowout.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donovan
I hope you're just joking. The tread wear marker has been around for a long time, on all tires. Wearing your tires that thin is NOT SAFE. You have very little traction, and are asking for a blowout.
Those tires still have more rubber on them than most new car and mini-van tires of similiar weight. A blow out? I don't think so.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Banned

A blow out? I don't think so.
nope blowouts never happen........
Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 PM

nope blowouts never happen........
:pat: This is getting pathetic.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Banned

I like to wear my tires down as far as possible before buying new ones (might as well get my money's worth). This is my first set of Firestones (came on the truck). Now that I've worn them down pretty far, there are these ridges that occur every 15 inches or so. WTF? It makes for a rough ride. I've never seen this before. If someone tells me that it's to let people know that thier tires are getting worn, I'm going to be friggin' pissed. Have people become so damned stupid they can't tell when thier ˟˟˟˟˟˟ tires are worn?

yup pathetic like this
Old 08-18-2004, 10:26 PM

Are you kidding me? You think having been in the tire industry for 6 years has earned you the right to pass judgement on me? I drive the thing every day, and believe me, I am a better judge of safety when it comes to my truck and my driving style than you are.

I can understand your comment if it was being directed towards a 16 year old kid. But I am a few years your elder - I have much more experience behind the wheel than you. If I want to run bald tires, rest assured that I am skilled enough to do it safely.
This is most likely a waste of time, but along with the other reasons mentioned I will add hydroplaning. Without the tread pattern to shed water from the contact patch, you are asking to take an unexpected ride if you go through water the right way. I have quite a few more years behind the wheel than you do, and I am thankful I live on the other side of this country from you. In my state, they have safety laws to protect everyone else from individuals who would drive a potentially unsafe vehicle just to save a few bucks. You may think you have the right to chose to drive on tires like that, but what about the others around you on the road? And anyone who is a passenger in your vehicle? Do they get a choice? I don't wish you any bad luck, but I think you are foolish to think your 'skill' will prevent tires like that from causing a loss of control someday.