Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can someone explain ADD and the hub issue to me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain ADD and the hub issue to me?

Alright, I have alot of experience working on engines....Can tear ones down and rebuild one with no problem. I have even done a bit of work on rear differentials. However, I am a bit con fused on 4WD and front differentials.

Here is what I know. The ADD system uses vacuum to engage and disengage the axles. From what I have read have read the ADD system uses live hubs which are engage all the time causing the half shafts to move all the time that the truck is in motion. This causes damage to the CV joints on lifted trucks.

So, I have everything to lift my truck and want switch out to Manual Aisin hubs. There are some Aisin hubs on a Taco in the local salvage yard that I'm going to pick up tomorrow(I was advised this was the best way to go....and rebuild them). Will these hubs swap right out and work properly with the ADD system or is there more that I need to do to the front axle?

From what I can see it will, but I saw a post from someone that was buying a kit that cost like $1000. Is that all needed or is that just some kit with stronger CV axles and stuff?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:37 PM

I have ADD, and it's lifted

I'd be too lazy to get out and lock manual hubs if I had them. That's why I have to plans to switch them. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure the manual ones are better.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Taco ones are the wrong spline count. You need manual hubs from a pickup/4Runner from 1986-1995. Tacos started as a 95 1/2 model IIRC.

You can leave the ADD vacuum stuff in there or pull it. There is a writeup on 4x4wire how to disable it. It will work fine either way. The $1000 kit includes a whole bunch of stuff needed to make the 96+ Runners and later Tacos have manual hubs. It should cost around $50 to convert your 2nd Gen 4Runner to manual hubs.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:59 PM

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I said Taco, but I refer to all of the trucks as that. It is a pick-up of the same generation as my 4Runner. I'll go ahead and pick those up tomorrow then.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 AM
CTB

You need to make sure you get new gaskets (1 star, 1 circle) for each new hub. Part numbers for the gaskets can be found on Corey's website.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:35 PM

You guys are too cool. Those hubs are something else to get off. My live hubs have kind of like mini-lug nuts on them. The Aisin ones that I'm taking off this P/U have a nut, a washer and these wedge shaped centering washers, that are pushed down almost all the way in. They are a B@tch to get out. I got one off today and going back for the other tomorrow. Anyone have a trick to get these off faster? I put some PB on them and smacked the sides with a screw driver and hammer until the came out enough to get some pliers on them. I couldn't just pry the hub off without taking these out. Any tricks on the trade??
Old 04-06-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aah...the infamous cone washers. There are a few recommended ways of removing these. Toyota says use a brass drift against the end of the stud and beat on the drift. Others whack the end of the stud with a BFH. Still others hit the side of the hub body with a BFH. All of these methods work, try Toyota's way first. A tip is to loosen the nuts that are over the cone washers, but don't completely remove them. I've heard the cone washers CAN come flying off - though I've never experienced it. Good luck!!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to check the writeups in the tech section. They help a lot.

Also, like Cebby said, check out 4x4wire for a writeup on how to clean them up.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Aah...the infamous cone washers. There are a few recommended ways of removing these. Toyota says use a brass drift against the end of the stud and beat on the drift. Others whack the end of the stud with a BFH. Still others hit the side of the hub body with a BFH. All of these methods work, try Toyota's way first. A tip is to loosen the nuts that are over the cone washers, but don't completely remove them. I've heard the cone washers CAN come flying off - though I've never experienced it. Good luck!!
I appreciate the help. I think I'm going to use the mini-lug nuts from my live hubs when I reinstall them on my truck. Why didn't Toyota use those on all of the hubs? Seems to me that it would be a whole lot easier. if I worked at Toyota, I'd be cussing people when that came in with work that involved removing the hubs.

But yeah, the plan was to take a BMFH tomorrow and get the job done. I'm getting them for $20 each.

One more question though. Are these hubs suppose to be packed with gease or not? One side was packed, the other wasn't. I thought I read somewhere that they are not supposed to be, but you guys would know better that I would.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the help Cebby. I had the second hub off in less than 5minutes with your advise.

Here is the good part of all of it though. Before I left the yard yesterday I ask what the hubs were going to run me when I get them off. He told me $20 a piece....$40. I got the last one off today and took them up to pay for them....$20. How cool is that?