Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Calling all Supercharged 4-Runners

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all Supercharged 4-Runners

I'm hoping this thread will answer all my questions, so I don't miss anything when installing my TRD supercharger. If you wouldn't mind, if your 4-runner is supercharged please list out the following:

1) Year
2) Engine
3) What generation supercharger
4) What tranny mods you have done, if any
- Level 10 valve body recalibration
- Level 10 PTS
- Level 10 Torque converter
5) What fuel mods you have done, if any
- What fuel pump you are running?
- What year, flow rate, type, and part number injector
6) What other engine mods you have done, if any
- What engine mangement system, either piggyback or full replacement (i.e. FTC!-E or something else)
- Air intake system & mods
- MAF
- What spark plugs you are running
- Are they 1 or 2 steps colder
- Who makes them, what's the part number
- Did you have to regap them, and if so, what's the gap?
7) Real life DYNO information after all your mods would also be greatly appreciated!

That's all I can think of, and I know it's asking a lot. I've talked with numerous people, and I thought, wouldn't be nice if someone like myself could go to one thread and find out everything they need to know about supercharging their 4-runner? I think so! The more detail the better, I think!

Thanks everyone,

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 05:37 AM

2000 4 Runner 3.4L
2nd gen s/c
deck plate mod
Denso 1 step cooler (IK20) Iridium plugs

No other fuel or tranny mods
Old 01-17-2003, 05:43 AM

Awesome! Keep 'em coming, please!

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

2002 4runner sport 4wd
3.4 L
2nd gen S/C
TRD Tranny Cooler
NGK BKR6EKB-11 1-heat range cooler plugs (will be installed next weekend)
TRD Thermostat (will be installed next weekend)
Free FMU
Amsoil Air Filter
closed deckplate mod since installing S/C
dynomax super turbo muffler #17747
Old 01-17-2003, 06:08 AM

Awesome! What does the TRD thermo do? What's the part number on that baby, and would it be the same for my 1998?

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 06:14 AM

opps...forgot

Also have...

Hayden 30,000 lbs. extra heavy duty tranny cooler
amsoil filter
TRD cat back exhaust

Check my site for complete list

Old 01-17-2003, 06:16 AM
CTB

The TRD Thermostat will keep your rig running about 20 degrees (if I remember correctly) cooler or so. I haven't really read anything about what kinds of benefits these guys have seen running the TRD Thermostat. Maybe some of them can chime in and let us know how they are working...
Old 01-17-2003, 06:17 AM

Running cooler definitely wouldn't hurt, would it? Keep them S/C Runners coming in!!

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

got my thermostat from here

part number is 00602-17621-001

this is the same for all 3.4 L 4runners 96-02
Old 01-17-2003, 06:47 AM

Thanks and keep them S/C 4-runners coming in!

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 07:32 AM

2000 4runner
3.4L
2nd gen TRD SC
Deck Plate mod
TRD Air Filter
Free FMU
19k lb B&B Tranny cooler

Coming soon: 305cc Toyota Injectors, SAFC, 190LPH Walboro (sp?), 1 step colder plugs, full TRD exhaust, valve body upgrade
Old 01-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Sounds almost identical to what I'm planning to do on mine. Keep 'em coming!

Chris

Any unusual folks out there, like me. ANy other mods that people have really pulled some extra HP out of?
Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Away

Originally posted by ravencr
Sounds almost identical to what I'm planning to do on mine. Keep 'em coming!

Chris

Any unusual folks out there, like me. ANy other mods that people have really pulled some extra HP out of?
Chris,

I think you know the answer to that question. If someone has done it, it would have been posted by now. Gadget mentioned someone who had a Unichip installed on his S/C Taco who is putting out 260 RWHP. That's probably the ceiling on these engines with the TRD Superchager.

Maybe instead of asking the same questions over and over, you should just get the larger injectors, upgrade the fuel pump and get a Unichip installed since it seems like the SMT-6 is over your head.

tragerr over on ODW, and I think he's here too, has Twin Turbos on his highly modified 5VZ-FE putting out 20 PSI. He's got a sick amount of HP, but he spent over $20K I believe. If your pockets aren't that deep, just go with what I and EVERYONE else has already mentioned to get the most out of your rig for less than the price of a new truck.

You can keep asking the same questions I suppose, but the answers aren't going to change. If this sounds a bit harsh, I'm sorry. But it's kind of silly for you to keep cluttering the forum, asking the same questions that have been answered HUNDREDS of times already. Do some reading instead of writing and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 01-17-2003, 08:38 AM

Fair Enough! No harm taken!

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

1996 4Runner Limited
3.4L V-6 5VZ-FE
2nd gen TRD supercharger
TRD cat-back exhaust
Edelbrock headers
Supra 305cc injectors
stock fuel pump
Apex'i S-AFC
EL Protoypes upgraded ECU
Hayden 11x7 tranny cooler
Hayden electric fans
TRD thermostat
9 lb supercharger pulley (removed for winter fuel)
Valve body upgrade (by Mountain States Perf. Trans., not L10)
K&N FIPK (removed)
Deckplate mod w/ K&N filter
MSD DIS4 (purchased but not installed)

Future mods-
port & polish (waiting to hear results from Gadget and others)
Perfect Power SMT6
There's more but I can't think of it now.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:49 AM

Awesome HaveBlue!

I have to retract my last response to you, Dr. Z. I think this thread will prove invaluable to all us newbies and anyone else that's thinking about venturing into the S/C zone. I thought this was another thread where I have asked numerous times the same questions about the injectors, simply because there has not been a clear and concise answer, but that's another subject.

I have done numerous searches for fuel injectors, 305cc fuel injectors, 305cc injectors, 370cc injectors, superchargers, TRD superchagers, etc. and I have not found but a bunch of scattered responses and comments that don't always jive together.

That was the reason for this thread, Dr. Z. I hope you can understand I wasn't trying to clutter up this wonderful resource we have. I've so much enjoyed reading all the searches, and have tried to gather as much information as possible, but it's just like the scenario with th SMT-6 (which is not above me, by the way), there have been many people emailing the company, responding to the thread, etc. and there has not been a clear, concise mental picture of how and what this product is going to do for us, yet! That's all I am saying. I hope there is no hard feelings, but I don't think it was necessary to attack me a tad, do you? Maybe I deserve it, maybe not. I just hop everyone understands, and I just thought it would be cool to see everyones mods with a S/C all in one place. Sorry to have come across wrong!

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Away

I guess for me, all that stuff has been answered clearly and concisely. I was able to figure it out by reading. I suppose this thread has its merits.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 01-17-2003, 09:11 AM

Thanks Dr. Z. Just so you know, I have figured out most everything through reading those searched terms described before, but on a couple of my other threads, I've pretty much discovered that some of what I'm asking about the injectors is unchartered territory, which I guess leaves it up to me to figure out. No problems there! And to be honest (I'm not one for blowing smoke up someones butt), I've learned the most from Gadget and YOU! You guys are unreal information centers!! I appreciate your understanding, and I definitely didn't want you or anyone else mad at me for a slight misinterpretation. Have a good one!

Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by ravencr

..........I've so much enjoyed reading all the searches, and have tried to gather as much information as possible, but it's just like the scenario with th SMT-6 (which is not above me, by the way), there have been many people emailing the company, responding to the thread, etc. and there has not been a clear, concise mental picture of how and what this product is going to do for us, yet! That's all I am saying.................

I second your $.02, Dr. Z. I think the reason why no one can answer your questions with any certainty in regards to the SMT-6 or some of the injector issues (red top, blue top, etc.....), Chris, is that it's really all just hearsay at this point. I mean until someone actually installs the thing and gets it dialled in, we could all yap away til we're blue in the face. But no one is gonna be able to provide you with any hard facts and figures. My suggestion - read all you can here and actually contact some professionals that actually deal with this kind of thing for a living, then just make up your own mind using the knowledge that you've gained up to this point based on what you want to get out of your rig. There's a lot of good information and good products out there, I'm sure you'll make a fine decision. Let us know how it goes....

BTW, I'll have the SMT-6 with additional injectors installed by this coming Friday - if anyone cares.....

Your Guinea Pig
Old 01-17-2003, 11:22 AM

Fair enough! I can't wait to hear your comments about the SMT-6! Keep us all posted, please! Your comment in conjunction with Dr. Z's is fine with me. I just wanted to make sure that if someone knew, I could find out. If not, then I'm okay with too. Thanks for everything!

Chris

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharged 4-Runners