Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

California Spec 4Runner (Live in VA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Spec 4Runner (Live in VA)

I happen to be a lucky owner of a California Spec 4Runner but live in VA. So what does that mean? I have 2 catalytic converters and 02 sensors that cost a lot more then the other 48 state 4runners.

My CEL came on and pulled the code. Forgot which code it was but it had to do with catalytic converter. It was time to get some new o2 sensors anyways so I went out and bought new front and rear o2 sensors which cost a lot more then regular o2 sensors. Reset light and comes back on after a few hundred miles.

So this most likely means my front or rear cat is bad. (I think front). Dealership wants and arm and a leg to replace....any other options? Cats are not rusted out or anything, and car passes emissions everytime....CEL is annoying.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 PM

I feel your pain, I have been dealing with the same issue with my 2000 4Runner with CA emissions. I had the P0420 code come up and both CAT's were bad the front one more than the rear. I had aftermarket CAT's put on for about $800. Two months later same code is coming up since I had 132K miles decided to replace the A/F sensor and O2 sensor, after about 3-4 months threw the P0420 code again. I finally bought an O2 simulator from URD and that stopped the code. My mileage dropped a bit so I had it checked out and everything is working fine so I am not sure why other than the ethanol mixed gas.

Where in VA do you live?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kindervb
I feel your pain, I have been dealing with the same issue with my 2000 4Runner with CA emissions. I had the P0420 code come up and both CAT's were bad the front one more than the rear. I had aftermarket CAT's put on for about $800. Two months later same code is coming up since I had 132K miles decided to replace the A/F sensor and O2 sensor, after about 3-4 months threw the P0420 code again. I finally bought an O2 simulator from URD and that stopped the code. My mileage dropped a bit so I had it checked out and everything is working fine so I am not sure why other than the ethanol mixed gas.

Where in VA do you live?
Live in Fairfax...what is an o2 simulator?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 AM

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100014

This is from the URD website....

Our rear O2 sensor simulator is a device that conditions the signal from the rear O2 sensor and keeps that signal in the proper range the ECU is expecting to see from a properly functioning and healthy catalytic converter. Our device takes a slightly different approach than most of the other devices on the market. It is designed to work with the O2 sensor that is installed down stream of the catalytic converter. It does not replace it. The rear O2 sensor must remain in contact with the exhaust stream. This way the vehicle will looks stock. If you do a diagnostic hook up, you will see a proper signal from the rear O2 sensor.

The device is very small and there is a very simple three-wire hook up. The wire carrying the signal from the rear O2 sensor is located and cut. That wire is run through the device and then there is a single wire that needs to be connected to ground. It is about the size of a small box of matches and is best installed in the dash near the ECU.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 AM

Maybe I should look into getting new Cats...just annoying I have to get 2!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not get someone to mess with the ECU so that it does not throw the code anymore? Similar idea to the URD simulator.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 AM

I got new CAT's although aftermarket I saved about $1,700 going this route I still had the code and that seems to be a common issue with the aftermarket CAT's so for me it was worth the $60 bucks for the sim and the hour to hook it up.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 AM

Not sure about VA emission laws, but couldn't you swap out your exhaust system with a non-CA system? (that might be cheaper than two new cats??) Or would that still cause problems because of the extra O2 sensor and ECU parameters?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 AM

There is nothing here in VA that requires emmissions testing. I have seen several posts on that doing away with one CAT and I think the consensus was that you would still need the need the O2 sensor in place and use the simulator or replace the ECU with one from a non CA emmissions 4Runner.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 AM

There is nothing here in VA that requires emmissions testing. I have seen several posts on that doing away with one CAT and I think the consensus was that you would still need the need the O2 sensor in place and use the simulator or replace the ECU with one from a non CA emmissions 4Runner.
Yeah that makes sense, just do away with one of the cats and then wire in the URD O2 'simulator' to take care of that O2 sensor. Why try to keep your truck within CA emmissions spec when you don't need to? Unless you plan on moving back there in the near future.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:15 AM

cant you go to a wrecking yard site and see if they cand find you a complete system? be cheaper i think.... try this site here www.car-part.com
Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 76ANTHONY
cant you go to a wrecking yard site and see if they cand find you a complete system? be cheaper i think.... try this site here www.car-part.com
I was thinking that too, a stock 4Runner exhaust is probably cheaper than two aftermarket cats. But I guess you would need to be careful about the cats on the replacement exhaust, you wouldn't want to end up where you started.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

The problem with removing the Cali emissions part of the exhaust and trying to go simple is I think the ECU is specifically setup for the exhaust with two cats and the A/F AND O2 sensors.

I wonder if you could get a corresponding year ECU from a non-Cali truck and then swap out the exhaust.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Whre are you located in VA? Several VA counties require emission testing:

"If your vehicle is garaged in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford, or the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park, your vehicle must meet the emissions inspection requirements. Inspections are valid for two years and may be obtained by having your vehicle inspected by a certified emissions inspection station."

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci.../emissions.asp

There is nothing here in VA that requires emmissions testing.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 07-23-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM

I had the same problem, P0420 and CA emissions (I live in Fairfax). The cat was replaced under warranty because it failed before 80K.

The simulator will not pass emissions and if you are registered in Fairfax then you will have to test as stated above at some point. It seems that a lot of the CA cats fail.

Last edited by heddleston; 07-30-2008 at 09:00 AM.