Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A/C Question: e-vac'ing the A/C system out

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Question: e-vac'ing the A/C system out

I've been reading threads on here that say if your A/C has been sitting open for any time it's best to have it e-vac'd (it's been open to air for about 2+ months). I've replaced the Condenser (We weren't watching those Transmission Cooler lines when we pulled the engine . . . oops ). And I plan on replacing the Accumulator (dryer) because someone on here said so. So once I have this finished and basically the system is all tightened up can I go somewhere and have them vacuum the system and get them to stop there? Will it hold the vacuum? I guess what I'm wanting to know is can I have someone that has the tools to e-vac the system suck out the mosture and air and then take my cheap ass home and put my refrigerant in it. I'm sure they won't like it. Does the a/c system work like that. Or do they have to put refrigerant in as they're vacuuming air and moisture out?

I called one local shop and they said "Bring it in". He then said something about they would probably E-Vac it and fill it will refrigerant and then vacuum it again. I'd hate to see what that would cost. I could hear dollar signs cha chinging in his voice. I just don't want to look like a lame ass when I call up and say "Can you just suck out the air and moisture . . I'll do the rest". I actually went today and bought the 134 refrig and oil and was about to put it in. The only thing that stopped me was the fitting for my Low side was evidently stripped from where I used a fitting to put in something called Freeze 12. I couldn't get the 134A fitting to go on so I just put on the freeze 12 fitting (which is supposedly like R12, but OK for environment and can be sold to stupid people that don't know what they're doing and accidently release it into the environment) So I thought, well I still have 2 cans left over all I need is some Freeze 12 Oil and I can just leave the Freeze 12 in. Then I read about having the system e-vac'd.

Sorry for the long read. I tend to ramble about crap you could care less about.

steve
Old 07-30-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glassfishy,

Please just post the question in your thread title. Pleas re-read the posting rules

Bob
Old 07-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
If it's been open the outside air for 2+ months, then you you'll need to have the system evac'd, at least. It would definately be in your best interest to have the ac shop do it right the first time. They will have a vacuum pump hooked to it while running refrigerant into it, so that there's no residual moisture left when they get done. The refrigerant will pick up the nastiness and carry it out with it. You get enough residual moisture in the system, and it'll eventually corrode through a fitting/case someplace, and vent the whole system very quickly. If you're working near the leak at the time, you can loose a body part to frostbite that way. I know it'll be more expensive, but I would definately let the shop do it. Much safer that way, both for your system, and for YOU, also.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!! ANd sorry for the thread title

Steve