Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

buying an 85 runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying an 85 runner

So, im selling my 86 rx7 for 900 dollars, so i decided i was gunna look for a new vehicle (what better way to get rid of money ) so driving around my nieghborhood, i see an 93 mr2 in bad condition, so i stop in front of the house, and then i see a really beat up runner w/ straight axle... the guy of the house comes out (as he heard my exhaust) and said "hey come look at this runner!" im thinking damn...what are the odd's anyways, turns out its a 85 runner 22re 5sp SR5. He says the engine was rebuilt less than 2k miles ago, and looking at the engine its self, it looks CLEAN the surounding areas not clean, rust, dirt, gross..147k miles on the chasis. it has the SR5 interior, you can tell the truck has been sitting for a long time, put the key in started up on the first turn, sounds a damn site better than my 22re. anyways, it has decent body damage, nothing major, but just dirty, rust the whole bit, he wanted to sell it for 1500 (wich is typical) i talked him down to 800 dollars. The deal includes clean title, new driver side door (i dont know why, it all works...) new radiator. new rear motor for window, and wiper.

Now heres the problems i see (wasnt able to drive it as there was a dead car in front of it) the removable top has a big gap in between the top of the cab, and the top. It looks like its flush on the bottom though. the front windshield is fine, except that what holds it in the weather stripping isnt coshure and just done poorly... the front of the truck had no grill (but he has a brand new one chrome one for it) and was showing a decent amount of rust where the headlights belong (theres no headlights) my major thinking is "theres a lot of f'ing rust' but nothing has rusted through. i guess thats a plus.

for 800 dollars it sure as hell sounds like a good deal. hes selling it cause he has too many project cars and not enough time.

The areas of rust i talked about; Any ballpark figures of how much it would cost to get that fixed? i'll prolly have to take it to a body shop to get it all straight and clean looking, since i dont yet know how to use bondo and stuff like that. the rust i talked about. is there a way to stop it where it is? or do i need to cut those parts out and start all over? Im willing to get into a project, even though im poor, and dont know a whole ton about fixing body/rust.

i just need ideas of how hard, or much it would cost to fix a truck like this.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the 4x system works, you can learn to do a lot of the body work. if you want it for a trail rig the body doesnt have to be perfect. it will be a project that will take some time but worth it in the long run.

lee