Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Busted Spare Tire Carrier

Old 08-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Busted Spare Tire Carrier

I got a flat the other day off-roading and had to use the spare. This was the first time I had to since I got the vehicle. When I tried to lower the tire (I have the hidden carrier behind the bumber) it was VERY difficult to do. It squeaked and rattled and grinded on the way down. I got it off and just threw the flat in the back and went home. Then next day after fixing the tire I went to put the spare and SNAP! the turny thing (if thats too technical I can dumb it down a shave) that the cranks it broke and came out...Now what?

Anyone else have this happen? Is there a way to rig something up to hold a tire under there? Or do I need to rob one from a junkyard? I dont like the carrier on the back much.

Thanks for the help

Also, a side note..is moisture dripping from the tailpipe normal? It does it mainly when I start it up first thing (at least thats when I have noticed it). If it sits and idles for a few (2-3) min then there is a wet spot under the tail pipe...should I be worried?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rob the junkyard, or toss the spare inside and SECURLY tie it down. the moisture from the tailpipe is a byproduct of the combustion process. once the exhaust system is hot, the water turns to steam and gets blown out with the rest of the exhaust. if you do a lot of short trips, it can pool in low spots and speed up the rusting process on your cat, muffler and pipes.

lee