Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bumpstops - Questions on how they work

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpstops - Questions on how they work

I am very interested in doing the bumpstop mod since it's very easy, quick, and cheap. I read the write-up here and learned that there is apparently two "lower" bumpstops and one "upper" bumpstop per each side of the suspension. From the pictures, and from what I recall looking under my own truck, I can only see one lower and one upper bumpstop.

--Where is the other lower bumptop? Does it look just like the other one?

--How is the upper bumpstop even used.... ? I looked at it and I don't see what is moving that is causing the metal underneath to actually touch the bumptop. I'll probably include it in my mods anyway.

--Would it hurt if I cut the stock bumptops down even lower than the Energy Suspension's 11/16? What if I cut them down to about a 1/4 inch? Would that cause any problems? I am aware that I will have to do the suspension mod that lowers the from shocks down a little bit to allow them to take advantage of the extra travel from the bumpstops.

Thanks for the help...
Old 05-27-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up up and away!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunday BBQ
I am very interested in doing the bumpstop mod since it's very easy, quick, and cheap. I read the write-up here and learned that there is apparently two "lower" bumpstops and one "upper" bumpstop per each side of the suspension. From the pictures, and from what I recall looking under my own truck, I can only see one lower and one upper bumpstop.

--Where is the other lower bumptop? Does it look just like the other one?

--How is the upper bumpstop even used.... ? I looked at it and I don't see what is moving that is causing the metal underneath to actually touch the bumptop. I'll probably include it in my mods anyway.

--Would it hurt if I cut the stock bumptops down even lower than the Energy Suspension's 11/16? What if I cut them down to about a 1/4 inch? Would that cause any problems? I am aware that I will have to do the suspension mod that lowers the from shocks down a little bit to allow them to take advantage of the extra travel from the bumpstops.

Thanks for the help...
There are two bumpstops that limit the up travel of the lower control arm (LCA), one in front of the axle and one behind the axle. If you look at the 4th picture down in that link you posted you'll see where both bumpstops hit the lower control arm because it's the only two clean spots on the whole LCA. And yes they look the same.

The upper bumpstop limits the down travel of the wheel, try jacking up the front end and see what hits it.

The bumpstops are there to protect cv joints, ball joints, etc from getting damaged by too much travel. If you cut them down you are cutting down on the amount of protection the Toyota engineers built into the truck and things like cv joints and ball joints won't last as long as they would otherwise. If you are willing to have things wearout faster then cut them down according to the amount of maintenance you are willing to do.