Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bumpstops

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpstops

I tried the search... coudn't really find anything that addressed my problem.

When I go over speedbumps or dips in the road with any significant weight in my truck, I can feel the back end hit those fat, stock bumpstops. I've tried tightening up my shocks from my comfortable 5-6 range (I have those Rancho adjustables in the rear) all the way to 9, but the ride is just crap and even at level 9, I can still feel it sometimes.

Are the bumpstops the problem here or is it the shocks? Do they sell smaller ones like the circular bumpstops in the front? Any ideas or do any of you know where to get better (smaller) bumpstops?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

what are you running for springs in the rear???
Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

if your lift is more than 2" i suggest you get a set of Sonoran steels extended bumpstops.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
IDo they sell smaller ones like the circular bumpstops in the front?
I cut my stock ones in half...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bumpstops arnt the problem, spring (load) capacity is. you need stiffer springs to carry the weight. The bumpstops are doing there job in keeping you from over arching your springs (baddddd thing).... as for what bottom outs first, shock or bumpstop, if it was the shock you'd 1) rip the mount off, or 2 blow the guts out of the shocks. either way you would know if the shock was bottoming before you hit the bumpstop.

go with an add-a leaf or some hydrolic bumpstops...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

i dont think an add a leaf is a good idea
Old 03-30-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The '98 4Runners use leaf springs in the back, do they? I thought all 3rd gens had rear coil springs.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
The '98 4Runners use leaf springs in the back, do they? I thought all 3rd gens had rear coil springs.
LOL...obviously Garrett didnt read the sticky about misinformation.

he was kidding, I think it was a bad joke on my suggestion to buy steves extended bumpstops.

the 3rd gens do have coil suspension in the rear.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure what coils I have actually? I have a Downey 2wd setup and I'm pretty sure it's a 3" rear and 3.5" front coilover (only tuned to 3" to match the back). The shocks are Billies up front and Adj. Ranchos in the rear. The whole setup was $1700+ installed so I would think it would include new springs as well. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Just spoke with the outfit who did my lift, turns out they are going out of business after like 30 years and being replaced by a 4Wheel parts (woo hoo!), and he said that I did get new coils. But from what I described, it sounds like the shocks could be damaged and/or bad (since it happened the day it was installed). Apparently Rancho will warranty their shocks with a proof of a receipt, so when the new store comes in, I will have them take a look at the shocks. Thanks for your help guys... hopefully it's something as simple as the shocks and not the coils. I'd hate to have to put stiffer coils on my rig since it rides great now. I don't want it any stiffer...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Just spoke with the outfit who did my lift, turns out they are going out of business after like 30 years and being replaced by a 4Wheel parts (woo hoo!), and he said that I did get new coils. But from what I described, it sounds like the shocks could be damaged and/or bad (since it happened the day it was installed). Apparently Rancho will warranty their shocks with a proof of a receipt, so when the new store comes in, I will have them take a look at the shocks. Thanks for your help guys... hopefully it's something as simple as the shocks and not the coils. I'd hate to have to put stiffer coils on my rig since it rides great now. I don't want it any stiffer...
wowowowowoww.

Definately go back before the store changes its name. Just so you cover your 6. If you didnt have extended bumps, I think you could've overcompressed the shocks.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
Definately go back before the store changes its name. Just so you cover your 6.
They said that any Rancho distributor will be able to exchange these with a valid receipt. According to the owner, he said Rancho gives the exchanging store credit back for any damaged shocks. Apparently they carry a warranty... I don't know for how long, but I BARELY cleared the one year mark last month.

Does Rancho NOT warranty their stuff? Is this shop the ONLY place that can exchange them for me?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

They said that any Rancho distributor will be able to exchange these with a valid receipt. According to the owner, he said Rancho gives the exchanging store credit back for any damaged shocks. Apparently they carry a warranty... I don't know for how long, but I BARELY cleared the one year mark last month.

Does Rancho NOT warranty their stuff? Is this shop the ONLY place that can exchange them for me?
Im sure Rancho does warranty them, call them, explain your situation and see what happens. The shop going out of business and them telling you to wait for the 4WPs to come in is kinda scary. Do they warranty them even after the company that sold them closes shop?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure... I'll have to make that phone call later today. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I'd like Steve Schaefer to pipe in on this one and let me know how his bumpstops would help out.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

I'd like Steve Schaefer to pipe in on this one and let me know how his bumpstops would help out.
if you go to his website, i believe it explains it.

www.sonoransteel.com

I would hate for them to not warranty the shocks just bc the old shop you bought them from went out of business.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

If you have the Downey 3.5" rear coils, which I assume you do, these will fix your problems.

These coils are silver.