Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bumper black paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper black paint

There was some talk about forever black for the buympers and stuff. I have been using "duplicolor bumper black". It looks great, easy and clean. It has a matte/satin look to match original black bumpers and side stuff.
Anyway, here are some pics.

Before:
After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The hardest thing was taping it off. I put a couple of coats of the bumper paint on it. and it realy looks great!
I then painted the front and rear bumpers, the windshield wipers, and the tailgate part that says "Toyota" on it. It really made the truck look a ton better.

Have fun!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:06 AM

Sweet. I used a plain old semi gloss spray for my rear wing but that definately looks like factory.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks great! I've always used SEM Trim Black. It looks alot like what you've used. Nice job!!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Nice work!
I may be doing that for my grille guard when I put it up for sale.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Nice. How long does it last? Any problems we should be aware of? I was actually going to head to Wal-Mart last weekend and get some, but the weather was too nice to spend any time shopping.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

It is very easy to use. I would suggest getting some fine sandpaper and lightly rubbing whatever you are going to paint. The bumper paint sprayed on smeether when I did. It also makes sure there is no oil or coating on the trim/bumper before you spray.
I did one side 3 months ago, then the other side 2 days ago. The 3 month side looks exactly like the freshly painted side. I know that is not much of a time trial to show how durable it is, but we have had tones of rain and storms in the last three months, and it's held up well.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Hey, nice job man! I was considering doing something like that!
Old 10-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Does duplicolor make anything for tires? I was talking to waskilly about trying to get some curb rub marks off of my tires. Waskilly suggested AJAX for the initial cleaning and then using some kind of Forever Black look alike...he said that Wal-Mart carried Duplicolor products and was wondering if they made a product for making my tires FOREVER BLACK (without USING forever black?)

Sorry to steal this thread, didn't want to have to make a brand new thread.

Your truck looks AWESOME with that stuff on it.

Is it spray? If so, how did you tape off the areas where you didn't want it? I would LOVE to do that to all my window trim. How long does it take to dry? Apply? How many coats did you need?

Sorry for all the questions, that just looks SWEET!!

Fink
Old 10-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

I am not sure about a spray for your tires. I would agree witht he ajax idea. Since rubber wears off, scrubbing should get the marks off, then I would suggest a tire foam spray. It cleans your tire, and also makes it easier to keep clean

As for the "bumper black", it is a spray, and it is in a regular spray can. So you will have to tape off to make sure it doesn't get everywere. It dries in a couple of minutes. I put a couple of coats on my trim because i wanted it to look stock and to last. The extra coats covers up imperfections that I had on the trim.
Be sure to get some fine sandpaper to lightly rub whatever you are painting. It will make it go on much better.
I also suggest car masking tape to tape off, it comes off much better.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Right now the only thing I have for cleaning the tires is the left over soap in the bucket from washing the rest of the rig and a scrub brush. I will probably be going to Wal-Mart today to look around for some tire foam...I remember seeing the Armor All stuff there but after all the tragic things that have happened from Armor All recently I think I will steer clear of it. I know Corey uses the Meguiar's tire gel stuff, I don't necessarily need anything to make my tires shiny, I have the Meguiar's Tire Shine (come to think of it, that does sink into the rubber and makes it look BLACK as can be for a long time and it also makes the water bead up on the tire too) Maybe I will just get some AJAX and possibly a tougher scrub brush that will REALLY grind away at those marks and just scrub away. It's sprinkling outside though, probably not a good time to wash the truck then...oh well, I will see what happens later.

I will look for some kind of foam for the tires as well...ANYTHING but Armor All for sure though!

Fink
Old 10-05-2003, 09:27 AM

Have you tried Wesley's "Bleach White" whitewall cleaner with a brush? Works pretty good for my needs - scuff marks and general grime... Ajax is also very good!
Old 10-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

AJAX is DEFINATELY really good! Although I can still see the actual rub marks in the rubber the discoloration is gone...that stuff is great.

The only thing I was concerned about was getting the powder on my wheels because of the clear coat...would the AJAX take that off?

From now on AJAX will be a thing I continue to have on hand for those once a month hardcore cleanings!!

Along with the AJAX I also got some Black Magic Tire Foam...that stuff is AWESOME! The foam turned black after it dripped off the tires...I was impressed.

Fink