Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brush Guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brush Guards

Hey,

I just picked up a 4runner and am looking to put some brushguards on it. I want to get front, rear, and taillight guards. I want to pick up taillight guards that don't use any adhesives.

Idealy I want stainless, but depends on availability and price. I don't need any offroading functionality (as I live in NYC) I want these for bumper proctection (and looks)

Any success stories out there? I have looked at numerous brands, but I figured the best reviews would come from people who have the product. Any suggestions / recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Max
Old 06-14-2004, 07:47 AM

By the way its a 2002 se.

Originally Posted by MaxRott
Hey,

I just picked up a 4runner and am looking to put some brushguards on it. I want to get front, rear, and taillight guards. I want to pick up taillight guards that don't use any adhesives.

Idealy I want stainless, but depends on availability and price. I don't need any offroading functionality (as I live in NYC) I want these for bumper proctection (and looks)

Any success stories out there? I have looked at numerous brands, but I figured the best reviews would come from people who have the product. Any suggestions / recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Max
Old 06-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

There are always a few brushguards on the for sale forum.

I would go to www.performanceproducts.com and look at the styles from Manik, go rhino, etc. They are a little pricey, but you could get an idea of what style you like.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i bought mine with a westin on it... i like it a lot -- just make sure its installed well and doesnt move around too much.

sorry for the large pic, but im at work and cant resize.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

When I bought mine locally, they sold me a cheap P.O.S. I thought I was getting a deal. So I left it all in the wrapping so I wouldn't scratch it while I was putting it on, I finish up and unwrap it, A no-name P.O.S. I had to drive to work the next day, so I left it on, and I really did notice how it made the truck really sloppy in turns(stock suspension) so I took it back and got the Manik I wanted. It was alot lighter. I'd estimate the first one to be like 75-85 lbs. Don't buy A cheap heavy one I guess I'm trying to say.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
When I bought mine locally, they sold me a cheap P.O.S. I thought I was getting a deal. So I left it all in the wrapping so I wouldn't scratch it while I was putting it on, I finish up and unwrap it, A no-name P.O.S. I had to drive to work the next day, so I left it on, and I really did notice how it made the truck really sloppy in turns(stock suspension) so I took it back and got the Manik I wanted. It was alot lighter. I'd estimate the first one to be like 75-85 lbs. Don't buy A cheap heavy one I guess I'm trying to say.
Is smittybuilt a good guard or is it cheap?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard Smittybilt is pretty top notch. I have a WAAG brush guard on my Taco and it's really nice and well built. But I do have to say that the black starts to lose its luster after a few years, but still looks great though.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

I also have a WAAG and while I like the looks, if I could do it again I would save just a bit more and get something a bit hardier. I'm not sure how much protection these guards can give you. Beyond a firm tap against something else, I mean.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

They offer reverse potection in any accident over 3mph. If you hit someone or someone hits you, they have the tendency to pretzel denting your bumper, cracking any valance/grill, and the light "protectors" can hit your fenders denting and popping your headlights out.

I was in a 5mph accident with my old Manik and had $3700 in damage to the front. Would have been $850 if I didnt have it (just a new bumper and maybe a bottom valence). I couldnt beleive how easily the thing bent and folded. And the fact that the light protectors actually caused damage because of the jolt it took and I guess they whipped into the fenders...I was pretty disappointed.

Now Im not saying they are a BAD idea as I think they look VERY cool...just please dont buy one for protection from anything other than BRUSH - leave, bushes, small tree limbs. Not sure how they protect you though or why you need protection from them un front...
Old 06-15-2004, 04:23 PM

I have one like lees, but for a 97 obviously. Check out manik.com, I think. They have an outlet. That is where I got my rears for cheap. Look fine to me. Except I ordered chrome/polished on accident and had to sand them and paint them black.