95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Broke Student looking to work on 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfisher117
Thanks for the info!

Well Im off to the shop tomorrow time for an oil change. Is Castrol GTX High Mileage considered a synthetic? Im looking at different oils and Im not sure what type. I dont want synthetic but my dad mentioned I should look into getting some high mileage. I googled "oil recomendations" my head exploded with all of the info and oppinions.
I've always run Castrol GTX, but that's just my personal preference. My mechanically-inclined friend swears that Mobil 1 is the best oil, hands down. Like Dirt said, everybody has an opinion, as long as you're buying the right weight, form your own opinion on brands.

As far as the high mileage stuff: I don't know if this is completely true, but I've heard/read that the high mileage stuff has more conditioners and cleaners in it and because of that, you must change it very regularly or you'll be running very dirty oil. If you change your oil every 5K miles anyway, I guess this isn't a big deal, but it's something to consider I guess. Maybe someone with more knowledge about this can comment on the high mileage versus regular oil issue.

I've never gone with high mileage oil, I don't really see how a fluid can be engineered differently to better suit my engine because I've passed X amount of miles. But, I'm sure it couldn't really hurt.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See my answers in bold

Originally Posted by flyfisher117
If you guys would like I can make multiple threads but I would like to keep all of my general questions here for now. Im just trying to get a general idea of what I need to do this summer and a rough estimate of cost.

Im driving a '97 4Runner its getting older and needs work, Im not a huge off road guy but when I go hunting/fishing/exploring the poor thing just cant handle it. Also on the interstate it struggles. Im in college so 65% of my driving is on road and 540 miles of interstate when I go home. Other 35% is where ever my adventures take me. I'm hoping this is possible but I want to make the car perform better on both terrains. I dont have a lot of money so the stuff I want to fix is coming up in order of importance and Im just looking for the best bang for the buck to get me through college. Then when student loans are paid off I can get my dream truck and do what I want too it.

#1: Suspension: Rear end is sagging a bit so its time to redo the suspension. I want to get a 1-2" lift without buying a lift kit (tired of the hitch dragging). I have been told that you can put the coils from a '99 4Runner and get an extra inch over stock. Is this true? If I am going to redo the rear I would like to do the front as well. Im wanting something stiff enough that I can haul the dirtbike trailer, or haul a quartered out elk on the hitch rack but also something soft enough that I dont get rattled to death on gravel roads. What would be some decent shocks/ struts to look into?
Bilstein's, OME, etc.

#2: Head lights: The lights suck. Can I replace the reflector around the head light with a better more updated version? Im planning on replacing the wiring harness and the bulbs but Im curious if a better reflector can also be bought? What would I be looking at spending?
Best thing would be an HID retrofit from theretrofitsource.com
#3: The heat/AC makes a humming noise. On the first two levels its silent (or as silent as its supposed to be) but the last two levels there is a gawdawful hum that comes out from under the dash on the passenger side. Can anybody help me with this?
Clean out the squirrel cage/fan
#4: Are there any cheap/basic engine hop ups that I can do to gain a few MPG? Ive seen some chips that you can put in vehicles that help, my dad put one is his Tundra that cost about $150 but it boosted his fuel economy by a good 5-6 MPG highway.
Sorry but your dad got scammed, that's impossible, if it was possible, all the car companies would be all over it. a true ecu upgrade can increase mpg slightly (1-2) but mostly driving style and weather dictates MPG
#5: Im just curious if someone can explain this too me but what does a cold air intake do? Again, dad put one on his Tundra and it runs A LOT better. The truck is pretty spunky now and im curious if a Cold air would help my car on the interstate? It will do 75 but it likes to stay down around 65, Im not running giant off road tires, just some Yokohoma Geolanders it just doesnt seem to want to go very fast. I wouldnt complain normally but the 540 miles back home to Billings is pretty long at 65 MPH.
It's probably spunky cause it's colder outside, when you drove it in the summer it made much less power... intakes give you 5-10hp max... and on 4runners you do the elbow removal mod which gives you the same power at a $300 intake....
#6: Anybody have any other small things I can do to make my travels more enjoyable?