Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brighter dome light?

Old 10-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brighter dome light?

I'm looking to replace the front and rear dome light with a brighter bulb. I thought I saw someone here had done the same thing a while ago, but I don't remember who.
Can anyone recommend a place the sells brighter dome light bulbs? Also, does anyone know a part number?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:48 PM

Only cuz I like your member name will I help you. LOL JK I have APC blue light bulbs in my front lamp assy. I am at work but will get you part numbers when I get hom in an hour. They are sweet but HELLO are they ever bright.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 PM

I think the superwhite bulbs from APC I hear are really bright also. Have you considered LED bulbs for your domelights? I think they only make them in blue but not too sure. I hope I helped you out a bit.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
I think the superwhite bulbs from APC I hear are really bright also. Have you considered LED bulbs for your domelights? I think they only make them in blue but not too sure. I hope I helped you out a bit.
I'd LOVE to have LED bulbs. Especially if they are brighter. And, if they are LED they should be cooler. Who makes LED wedge bulbs?
Old 10-23-2003, 07:42 AM

PIAA does. Search for "Super LED" here:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com:8080/lighting/main.html
Old 10-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Or you can go to Napa like I did The front bulbs are 5w I think and the middle light is 8w, the bulbs I got form napa are 10w and work great, they are mucho brighter, plus at like $2.50 for 2 buls they are pretty cheap. BTW if you need to know the cargo area bulb is already 10w.
Hope I helped
Old 10-23-2003, 12:31 PM

Funny...

I changed mine out with brighter, whiter ones. I honestly don't remember where I got them from though. I can tell you one thing, they are BRIGHT. I was carpooling a bunch of drunk friends home from a football game one night and one of them happened to turn the dome light on. Everyone was saying "damn that is bright, it like a flourescent light." Point and fact: they will hurt your eyes if they're on while you're driving, but if you are ever pulled over on the side of the road trying to read a map you won't have any trouble. Or if you're getting into the car you definately won't slip because you couldn't see.

Zach
Old 10-23-2003, 01:37 PM

i have the piaa superwhite dome lights..i will post the bulb number when i get home and i will take a pic of it also...but it is brighter and people always say..COOL LIGHT!
Old 10-23-2003, 02:35 PM

APC Bulb numbers

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
Only cuz I like your member name will I help you. LOL JK I have APC blue light bulbs in my front lamp assy. I am at work but will get you part numbers when I get hom in an hour. They are sweet but HELLO are they ever bright.
I apologize, I only have the packaging from the cheap Pilot bulbs that were sold to me as APCs. I got scammed! I ordered 4 bulbs blue in color and got 2 pilots & 2 APCs. The Pilot brand lights are handpainted by kindergardener's just to let you know and if a shop charges you the APC price I would be a little more PO'd than I was. I wont shop at that Offroad shop anymore. I wont mention the shops name either because there is a member on this board that has a similar company name. Im not going to mess things up for him because another company screwed up. APC all the way, Pilot sucks k.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

I too am looking for some brighter dome and pretty much all interior lights.

I only have the two lights on the driver and passenger side front doors, the two small lights in front of the sunroof and then the two dome lights.

Anybody ever used the dome lights that Performance Products has? I want what White SR5 was talking about...I need more light in the interior...

So the stock wattages are 8W for the middle dome and 10W for back? How high is too high to go for these? Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 11-13-2003, 03:07 PM

check this site, they are about halfway down, i found this link in the blue dash conversion thread!

LED Bulbs
Old 11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Fink go with the Piaa's I have them in all my bulbs and when it's all on it's so bright in the runner it burns your retina's. I also have them in my footwell lighting. You can check em out here
Old 11-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks sick4runner, but I was looking more for the link that UK posted. Those are a little more expensive than I was hoping for. Is that for just one bulb?

Thanks UK, you're the man!

Fink
Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Fink you get a pack of two for that price..they are a bit spendy especially when you buy 6 of them....
Old 11-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Is that what you got? You and I have essentially the same rigs so...I would think we need the same number.

I can live without the door lights being very bright. Maybe just two packs of em would work. One pack for the actual domes and then one pack for the two front lights (in front of the sunroof)

Will I need all the same type of bulb?

Does PIAA make any really white/bright bulb for the backup lights? Those are the dimest (sp?) lights ever!!

Thanks UK!

Fink
Old 11-14-2003, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

i replaced my front domelights (rearview) and the center dome with 10W.

honestly, i think the front domes with 10W regular bulbs are MORE than bright enough. maybe too bright, to be honest.

then again, i'm not big on bright light. and don't feed me after midnight either. ;^)
Old 11-14-2003, 06:53 AM

I had installed LED's in the dome of my old Tacoma. Much better than the stock light bulb. Not much brighter but very white light. Just be careful if you install those higher wattage bulbs. They get very hot and will melt the assembly completely if left on. I have kids and this is why I used LED's. They have left the dome light on a time or two. A friend left those high wattage bulbs on, and the dome melted onto the floor. It wasn't in a Toyota but I'm sure the effect would be the same. I made my "bulb" by soldering 6 white LED's together. I bought them at Radio Shack.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:16 AM

I see a lot of led's on this page http://autolumination.com/leds.html
which one is the right ones for the front, mid, and rear or all they all the same?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I believe that both the middle dome and the cargo lamp are both 10W...I asked my buddy at the dealer and he said that they were both the same, he said he thought the front map lights would be either 5 or 10W and then the door lights are 3W.

$24.50/pair for those Super LED Wedge Bulbs at SigmaAutomotive.com...kinda pricey but they look nice. Even though they are only 5W...

Fink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brighter dome light?