Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Breaking in a New Vehicle

Old 08-13-2003, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by Jim Kerr

I am asked this question at least a dozen times a week: "how should I drive my new vehicle to break it in?" Breaking in of a new vehicle is a straightforward process but there are many stories told about how to best do this. There is some truth in many of the stories but to separate fact from fiction, we should look at why we need to break a vehicle in.
A good friend often jokes that there is no such thing as "breaking in" a new vehicle - it is just the start of "wearing it out!" There is a little truth here too. The process of breaking in a vehicle means driving it so that parts can wear into each other. Usually, people think the engine is the only part that needs any break in period, but transmissions and drive axles also can benefit from a break in. So how should I drive the vehicle?
Start by avoiding heavy loads on the drivetrain. Full throttle starts, towing trailers, and loading the vehicle with heavy loads place extra force on all moving parts in the drivetrain. When parts are manufactured, their surfaces may look smooth but under magnification, we can see many "hills and valleys". Lubricating oil forms a thin film that separates moving parts so they do not touch. If there is a loss of lubrication or a heavy load placed on the parts, the high spots (hills) may push through the oil film and touch the other part. This causes wear.
The break in process allows the highest of these hills on the parts to wear down under light load so they do not damage other parts. As the parts move, they are polished so that there is less chance on high spots penetrating the oil film when a load is placed on the vehicle.
The manufacturing processes used today are light years ahead of vehicles from the 1960's and 70's. Component finish is better, internal clearances are closer, parts tolerances are more accurate, and materials are better quality. The thousands of miles needed to break in an older vehicle are no longer needed. Instead, it is the first few hours of operation that are the most important. By the time a driver has driven a few hundred kilometres, the vehicle is ready for regular driving.
When starting a new vehicle, engines should not be idled for long periods of time. Oil pressure is lower at idle speed and parts that depend upon splash lubrication may not receive enough oil to prevent high spots from pushing through. Full throttle operation should also be avoided. It places heavy loads on components and high spots can score other components, accelerating the wear. This doesn't mean you need to baby the vehicle.
Drive the vehicle as if you were trying to achieve good fuel economy. Light to medium throttle acceleration is preferred, and keep the engine rpm's in the bottom half of the rpm range. On many engines, this would be below about 3000 rpm for the first few hours. Occasional three-quarter throttle acceleration is fine, as the increased gas pressure in the combustion chamber helps the rings to seal.
Avoid "lugging" the engine. Driving in too high a gear at low speeds makes the engine work harder. It is better to have it running a little faster with less throttle than too low an rpm with more throttle. Modern engines don't need to be driven at slow speeds. Keep up with traffic and drive the speed limit. I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer with a brand new vehicle, but it is done sometimes and the vehicles seem to last well.
Some say that drivers should vary vehicle speeds during the break in period, driving only a few kilometres at one speed. This isn't necessary. If you are going to be driving on the highway, backing off the throttle every few kilometres and letting the vehicle decelerate for a few seconds will pull extra lubrication into the upper engine cylinders and intake valves.
Breaking in a new vehicle isn't a tedious or time consuming process. Drive it normally and with care for the first few hours and it should be ready for many more kilometres ahead.

Last edited by romus; 08-13-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Erc

While it sounds good and reasonable, why do manufacturers still say that break-in period is 1000 miles? In this period, they don't recommend going over 55mph (which is pretty much impossible, if you drive on highways).
I am asked this question at least a dozen times a week: "how should I drive my new vehicle to break it in?"
Are you a mechanic?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luckily, it's all spelled out in the owner's manual in one paragraph. No need to second guess the Toyota engineers.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by BT17R
Luckily, it's all spelled out in the owner's manual in one paragraph. No need to second guess the Toyota engineers.
Exactly but why does it say not to exceed 55mph, I can see not going past 3/4rpm but 55

It's only common sence to brake a vehicle in but I love it when people are like it does not need a break in or the drive it hard break in :pat:

I believe in breaking in a car just to get good gas mileage cause I had a friend who bought a brand new car and was at redline all the time and the car got like 8mpg on the highway and it was suppost to get like 20 something
Old 08-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EDGE
Exactly but why does it say not to exceed 55mph, I can see not going past 3/4rpm but 55
You got me. That's the one I ignore after 200 miles when the brake pads are bedded in.

Edit: Though I've read from links here about differential run-in that they benefit from low speeds.

Last edited by BT17R; 08-13-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:11 AM

I can't Drive 55 (and they don't say so)

My manual does not say anything about keeping it under 55 mph during break in...

To paraphrase:

"No special break in procedure is necessary, just follow these guidelines. Do not drive at one speed for extended periods of time, either too fast of too slow. Don't tow a trailer for the first 500 miles, don't brake hard during the first 200. Avoid full throttle or hard acceleration."

Where did you folks see this bit about keeping it below 55 now that many states have a speed limit of 70??

UB