Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brakes & Rotor Install/Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes & Rotor Install/Question

I am new to the site have been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. This weekend I am going to be putting new brakes on my 2001 Tacoma 4wd TRD. I am sure that I will need to replace the rotors while I am at it. I am going to get the performance friction pads. Where is a good place to get rotors besides the stealership. Are rotors easy to replace, I have never replaced rotors on a vehicle before. I didn't see a writeup maybe b/c it is so easy. If someone could give me a few hints it would be appreciated. I always like to be prepared when I start a job I have never done before. Thanks for the info.

BTW Toyota's Rock!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:10 AM

hey mang....

it's VERY straight forward. For rotors...I got my Brembo's online...took about a week to get via ups...i don't recall WHERE I got them online...but if you search for it, you'll find the thread the link to the deal!

If you've done brakes before, your golden...the rotors just lift off, plop the new ones one....if you haven't done brakes I would recommend having someone with you that HAS....just to coach ya (and drink yer beer!) - or get a manual (and said beer) the night before and STUDY. I'm sure the web has tips all over the place as well.

I also recommend flushing your brake fluid....just get all new stuff in there...it's just a damn good thing to do...and you'll be taken care of for a couple years w/ clean fluid.

Don't forget to adjust the rear brakes....apparently that's a "cause" of warped rotors....the front brakes are working too hard and it puts more stress on the front!

Ă…aron
Old 07-27-2004, 08:49 PM

http://www.toyautoparts.com/ check these guys out.. discount oem parts

rock on,
matt

Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 AM

Brake Rotors

Be sure that you either use toyota or Brembo brake rotors. You don't want to use the Autozone type rotors ( cheap and warp easily). You should also use a toyota or ceramic brake rotor. Metallic Brake Rotors create too much heat and warp your brake rotors too easily. www.taylorautomotive.com is a good place to get stock brembo brake rotors and akebono ceramic brake pads. i have 35,000 miles on mine with no vibration yet.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by rshurden
I am new to the site have been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. This weekend I am going to be putting new brakes on my 2001 Tacoma 4wd TRD. I am sure that I will need to replace the rotors while I am at it. I am going to get the performance friction pads. Where is a good place to get rotors besides the stealership. Are rotors easy to replace, I have never replaced rotors on a vehicle before. I didn't see a writeup maybe b/c it is so easy. If someone could give me a few hints it would be appreciated. I always like to be prepared when I start a job I have never done before. Thanks for the info.

BTW Toyota's Rock!!!
How do you know the rotors need to be replaced? I just replaced my pads at about 95k and the rotors were fine. Are you getting a lot of shuddering when you brake?

my advice is to check the rotor thickness and runout before you drop $$$ on new rotors...unless you already know for sure they are bad.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cooper04
Be sure that you either use toyota or Brembo brake rotors. You don't want to use the Autozone type rotors ( cheap and warp easily). You should also use a toyota or ceramic brake rotor. Metallic Brake Rotors create too much heat and warp your brake rotors too easily. www.taylorautomotive.com is a good place to get stock brembo brake rotors and akebono ceramic brake pads. i have 35,000 miles on mine with no vibration yet.
I disagree. My "Autozone" rotors have been great, and they come with a 1-year warranty. Not even Toyota could match that (due to thier install policy).