Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes?

Ok I have a 96 SR5 with the 16 inch wheel package and I can't get brakes to last more than 9 months. Is there a longer better lasting Brake pad? or do I just need to change my driving style, or is that just how brakes are going to be on the 4runner?
Old 03-23-2003, 08:36 PM

First off what type of pads are you useing. Second changing your breaking pattern by down shifting will help your pads and rotors out to some degree.
I currently use the Raybestos IQ(Import Quality) Pads and they seem to hold up well for me.

Last edited by FireFighter; 03-23-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:57 PM

Did you notice the brake dust build up on the wheel after replacing the brake pads? If so, it probably has the carbon graphic stone instead of semi-metallic pads. I remember a several years ago, Toyota offered two different types of brake pads for my older 1989 4Runners, carbon pads wear out more rapid than semi-metallic. I don't know what brand name or what type of pads did you replace?

My current '98 4Runners still has original brake pads at 143k miles since I bought new. I think it is a semi-metallic. My driving habit on highway is more like a race driver through the Colorado Rockies.

You may want to check on the semi-metallic pads replacement kit at your local dealer or auto part store. Also, you need to check the rear brake adjustment.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by FireFighter
First off what type of pads are you useing. Second changing your breaking pattern by down shifting will help your pads and rotors out to some degree.
I currently use the Raybestos IQ(Import Quality) Pads and they seem to hold up well for me.
I don't know what type of brake pads. I do know that i drive like Dale Jr. and don't hit the brake till i want to stop, but bad habits are hard to change, although i've started driving slower now.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Red Chili's
Did you notice the brake dust build up on the wheel after replacing the brake pads? If so, it probably has the carbon graphic stone instead of semi-metallic pads. I remember a several years ago, Toyota offered two different types of brake pads for my older 1989 4Runners, carbon pads wear out more rapid than semi-metallic. I don't know what brand name or what type of pads did you replace?

My current '98 4Runners still has original brake pads at 143k miles since I bought new. I think it is a semi-metallic. My driving habit on highway is more like a race driver through the Colorado Rockies.

You may want to check on the semi-metallic pads replacement kit at your local dealer or auto part store. Also, you need to check the rear brake adjustment.
yep lots of brake dust, and I drive pretty much like you do, does semi metallic pads require any special rotors or anything?
Old 03-24-2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by ChitRod
yep lots of brake dust, and I drive pretty much like you do, does semi metallic pads require any special rotors or anything?
Nope, you can use the original (or OEM) rotors to accept semi metallic pads as long as rotor is in a good condition, not wrapped or worn out.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:02 PM

Post La la la la!

Cardon graphite pads provide better performance, but as you know, graphite is soft, so they wear out quickly (and produce a lot of brake dust). I'm guessing you have that type. My dad does and his wheels won't stay clean for 3 days. My wheels, on the other hand, will stay clean for weeks. I've had the OEM brakes since I got the car, but I think I'll try the carbon kind to see the difference. I need new brake pads anyways. I'll report back after the swap.

Zach
Old 03-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Yeah my wheels won't stay clean for a day after i wash them.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:20 PM

Raybestos QUICK STOP SERIES is a exclusive blend of ceramic ingredients that provides the quietest and cleanest braking capabilities, while delivering increased stopping power and the highest level of safety. QUIET STOP Disc Brake Pads are designed for today's drivers who want ultra-quiet braking, ultra-low dusting on their wheels, and exceptional durability.

get rotars trued up, just email me ill tell you everything