Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake Vibration issue..Not Rotors!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Vibration issue..Not Rotors!

I've been chasing a brake vibration for about a month now on my 96 4runner limited.

Vibrates in the pedal and the steering wheel, worse when slowing down from higher speeds, but also noticable at slower speeds. Only vibrates when the brake is applied, so its not a tire or suspension issue.

I've replaced the front rotors with brand new one's (Duralast's), bled brakes and turned rear drums. Front pads had at least 80% life left, so I didn't swap them out... Still having the issue.

I've searched for hours, the only answer I get is "rotors". I haven't even put 1500 miles on the new set of rotors, so I doubt that is my problem.

Any ideas? Should I just throw a new set of pads on the front and see if that helps?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should have change the pads.... thats prob your issue. The "shutter" or shaking your getting when applying brake is from groved and out around rotors. Rotors get groved from debris and water getting between the pad and rotor upon braking. Thus causing goves. If you didn't replace the groved pads but you did the rotors then your problem prob is there. It is the same a worst if you just threw a new set of pads on bad rotors it would grove the pads right back down to where they were.... bad set of rotors? What kind of truck you got? If its got ABS is the ABS light on? Does it pull to one side when braking?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM

It's a 96 4runner.

No abs light. The truck still seems to brake straight, no pulling to either side, just a nasty "back and forth" vibration in the steering wheel.

Guess I'll grab a new set of pads tomorrow and throw them on.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Im sure its still your rotors. IF your rear brakes arent adjusted (not grabbing) then all the braking is only happening on the front rotors. You have to adjust the rears so that you can barely hear the pads touch the drums. Then throw on new rotors. Ive only had luck with genuine toyota rotors - others will tell you differently. Definately put a new set of pads at the same time - your others could be glazed. You also need to make sure that your calipers arent stuck. If one of the pistons isnt retracting, then your rotors will warp very quick. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 AM

I had the issue the day I replaced the rotors. I replaced them because all the searching I did on here everyone said rotors are the problem. I swapped them with new rotors drove out of my garage and I still had the vibration.

So unless I got a bad set of new rotors, that isn't my issue.

How can I check for a sticking caliper? I assume just pull them off and push the brake, see if they push out equally?

Any other ideas?

I'm going to put a new set of pads on front and rear today and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt its calipers. If at one time they were sticking they would drag badly and pull to that side. Make sure you got all air out of the lines if you disconnected any brake lines or calipers. Pads is what it is prob. If you feel the shaking in the steering wheel then the rear is not an issue prob. Any shop will tell you to replace pads if you ever do rotors its almost manditory by most shops to make you do it for safety.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Pulled both rotors and brought them back to autozone. They gave me 2 new one's on warranty.

Installed them, with new pads in the front, new shoes in rear.

Took it for a drive, it still pulsates.

I guess the only thing left is new calipers....