Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake rotors ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotors ... ?

Ok, so my rotors are warped. As far as I know they're the original rotors (86k miles) so that's not too bad I suppose. So I'm thinking, get some TRD pads and drilled/slotted rotors and get some increased stopping ability, however I'm having a hard time finding slotted/drilled rotors.

I located some from a company in Oregon called Wheeler's Offroad or something to that effect, but I've never heard of them and am a bit leary about putting a no name brand on the brakes. So, are there rotors like this for 4runners out there ('97 in my case)? Will I get a significant increase in brake ability, or would I be better off turning or replacing my existing ones with stock?

Also do any companies make braided brake lines for the 'runner? If I'm going to this much trouble I may as well put some better lines and new fluid in there as well.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A quick search on YAHOO also turned up this company:

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=285

I don't think drilled will make any diff at 4 wheeling speeds, but should at highway speeds. Drilled does look cool, though.
Quality stock replacements should work good.
Yes, definitely change the brake fluid (should do every other year anyway).
Old 05-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Wheelers Off Road is a good company. Incidentally, they don't make their own rotors, they sell Powerstop rotors.

Their site is www.wheelersoffroad.com

As always, before purchasing I recommend checking with Mike from Xtreme Off-Road first, to see if he can get them for you!
Old 05-12-2003, 04:16 PM
WT

Yeah I got mine from them several months back when I replaced my warped rotors. I had no issue with them when ordering either. I have a 96 with 16" wheels so if you care to peek at them heres a pic or 2 I took after I ran them a little while (more in album)
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69409763qwjspz
I also went with the performance friction pads from Autozone there the same as the TRD's and cost less, I think it was like $35 and has a lifetime replacement. You may want to check with Mike like someone said he might be able to get you a better price, I didn't think about it when I ordered my stuff.
Forgot to mention adjust your rear brakes and lub where they contact the back (check out the writeup someone here did)after installing the new stuff up front this will help with braking and also I found it helps stop that clucking issue alot of 3rd gen get when braking and then taken off from a stop light.

Last edited by WT; 05-12-2003 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

toyota had a problem with warping rotors on early tacos/3rd gen. runners and has changed the design to correct the prob. my oem replacement rotors have not warped
Old 05-12-2003, 04:32 PM

What year did they change the rotors to a different material?? Don't bother turning rotors. Everytime I do there fine for a while and then the shimmy comes back. You might want to adjust your back breaks up. I did this and it seems to help with the shimmy. (I'm just too cheap to replace the rotors again.) IF your backs are out of adjustment your front rotors will take the brunt of the braking task. More brake = more heat. More heat = More rotors
Old 05-12-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just quit a job at a speed shop but while I worked there I bought cross/drilleds and carbon fibre pads from KVR Performance. If it can't supply you with cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors, it can't be done.

www.kvrperformance.com

I have yet to try them out but other employees and customers had nothing but good things to say. I'll try and post the pic but I'm not sure if it'll work -- I couldn't post a pic earlier and it was a small size. I do hope it works.
Attached Thumbnails Brake rotors ... ?-100_0043.jpg  
Old 05-12-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I try to be organized with my posting but I forgot something! KVR manufactures stuff for Brembo -- that's why the boxes say Brembo.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, i have had a lot of issues with my breaks. They never feel right. I replaced my rotors about a year ago and they are allready jacked up. I think my primary problem is that i have had troulbe w/ the rear axle seal and my rear brakes. I just got the rear drums machined, but when i put them on and turned the tire, i could hear high and low spots, which leads me to believe that maybe my rear axle is bent, and thats why i have had so much trouble with the seal. what do you guys think? and also, you guys think those rotors are really good cuz i cant decide which i want. I was looking at those power slot rotors.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:35 AM

Heres another idea;

raceconcepts

I've had their crossdimpled/slotted rotors for around a year now, they're great!
I paired them up some Performance Friction pads from Autozone and think that this setup is hard to beat.
There was a good increase in stopping power, the shimmy in the front end went away, brake dust is mute and like Yoda said they look cool.

They rotors themselves are Brembo blanks and then custom made for your application, so the quality is top notch. If you do a little reading on their website, it will probably sell you like it did for me.
Besides i actually got these rotors for cheaper than OEM rotors, so.....
Oh yeah, if you call them ask for "Wood" he'll cut you a deal thats cheaper than the internet price.

Heres a pic;
Old 05-13-2003, 06:41 AM

I have not tried this. I didn't know about it until after I had replaced my rotors, but I will be doing this the next time. It is a place called Frozen Rotors. They will take your rotors and do what ever you want done to them. Then they cryogenically freeze them. According to their web site this will improve the rotor performance greatly. They are supposed to last up the three times as long. I am not sure of the price but to have them just frozen I think that it was around $50.

www.frozenrotors.com
Old 05-13-2003, 08:13 AM

thinking....

I had thought about slotted/crossdrilled as well....but for my money...and my USEAGE, I think the standard Brembo's should be fine.

What I had asked before was about Kevlar pads....anyone have any exp w/ these???

Apparently, they eliminate the dust factor, last longer and stop better. Plus, they don't seem too cost prohibitive.

~a
Old 05-13-2003, 08:27 AM

I'd like to give the brembo rotors a chance next time. Anyone know who carries them??

As for brake dust and such, I found that the stockers from toyota do the best job with minimal brake dust. I don't get any squealing, or large buildup of dust.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Cool, thanks for all the replies!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Come to think of it, my rotors are warped too.

Another pad idea is what Gadget has on his site regarding the high performance pads. I think they are Landcruiser pads that fit 4Runners and are only $35 or something.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:02 AM

3 cheers for warped rotors!

damn, this seems to be an ongoing thing w/ 4runners!

feels good to be warped

thanks for the tip re:Landcrusier pads, 96 Runner! I'll look it up.....

and here it is:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/susp.htm

~a

Last edited by amorphous; 05-13-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:14 PM
WT

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Come to think of it, my rotors are warped too.

Another pad idea is what Gadget has on his site regarding the high performance pads. I think they are Landcruiser pads that fit 4Runners and are only $35 or something.
Yeah these are the Performance Friction (AKA TRD) pads you can get from Auto Zone, you can now get them for the 4Runner so you don't have to ask for the landcruiser ones anymore . If anyone needs I can go go out in the garage and find the part number off the box.

Last edited by WT; 05-13-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WT
If anyone needs I can go go out in the garage and find the part number off the box.
That would be awesome, thank you. I have a feeling I will be doing front brakes in the very near future!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:25 PM
WT

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
That would be awesome, thank you. I have a feeling I will be doing front brakes in the very near future!
Here you go found box and receipt
#298626 4364 $39.99 W/Limited lifetime warranty