Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

brake problems....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face brake problems....

To start off I have an 88 3.0 4x4 pickup. Ever since i bought the truck a year ago I have had an issue with it pulling to the left everytime I hit the brakes. Assuming this is due to bad hydraulic parts in the front I replaced them all this weekend. I had both hard lines snap on me so I replaced those as well. Anyway, once everything was hooked up I began the traditional bleeding procedure. After 2 full bottles of fluid I have made no headway in the pedal feel. It still goes straight to the floor and shows no signs of getting better. I need some suggestions on what to look at next. I'm afraid it maybe the master cylinder, but I would hate to replace it as I have never replaced, or bled one before. Any other suggestions as to what to look at or change is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

the master cylinder isnt all that difficult to replace or bleed. they eventually die on you, get a rebuilt one and swap it out. bleed the system and you should be good to go. if you dont already have a haynes or chiltons, now would be a good time to get one. lots of info for you to read up on.

lee
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok with the truck off (not running) does the pedal get hard when you pump it? if so then your master cylinder should be ok. If the pedal stays soft then I would look into replacing it.
What bleeding procedure are you using??
If you are doing it the old fashioned way then it would be...

Have some one in the truck pump the brake pedal 10 times and hold it to the floor on the 10th time.
Start at the Drivers Rear and crack the bleed screw slightly just enough for the fluid to come out (while the helper is holding the pedal on the floor). Let the fluid run and then tighten the bleed screw. Have the helper pump the pedal 10 times and repeat. Do this on each wheel until the fluid runs clear and does not have any bubbles. If you put a piece of clear tubing on the bleed screw it makes it easier to see the fluid coming out.
Bleed order is.. D=driver P=passenger
DR, PR, PF, DF, LSPV (load sensing proportioning valve)
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you replaced the calipers make sure you've got the new ones on the correct sides, if you don't and get the bleed screws at the bottom it's impossible to get the air out. May seem like a no brainer but it's been done before.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
If you replaced the calipers make sure you've got the new ones on the correct sides, if you don't and get the bleed screws at the bottom it's impossible to get the air out. May seem like a no brainer but it's been done before.

Thats IT! I just switched the calipers around and now I've got a brake pedal!! Thanks for the tip!! :bounce2: