Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake experts: Biggest brakes that will fit on a 96' 4runner limited with 17" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake experts: Biggest brakes that will fit on a 96' 4runner limited with 17" rims?

What brake setup is the LARGEST (caliper and rotor size) and most capable that will fit a 1996 4runner limited with 17" wheels. Also, I do have 1.25" wheel spacers.

I thought it might be the brembo big brake setup for 02-08 tundras. But not sure.

Please include the brand, part number?, vehicle year and model, and any necessary mods besides shaving the dust shield. Crossdrilling the rotors recommended?

THANKS GUYS!~!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is mucho discussion on here about 3rd gen 4Runner brake upgrades. The most liked seems to be the Tundra brake upgrade. With 17" wheels (unless the backspacing is way off), you should have no problem fitting the 231mm Tundra brakes. I'm running 2005 Tundra 231mm calipers on my 2002 4Runner with my stock 16" steel wheels... with no modifications required (except a bit of trimming on the dust shield). Do a search on here for "3rd gen 4Runner brake Tundra", and you'll find all the info you need.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
There is mucho discussion on here about 3rd gen 4Runner brake upgrades. The most liked seems to be the Tundra brake upgrade. With 17" wheels (unless the backspacing is way off), you should have no problem fitting the 231mm Tundra brakes. I'm running 2005 Tundra 231mm calipers on my 2002 4Runner with my stock 16" steel wheels... with no modifications required (except a bit of trimming on the dust shield). Do a search on here for "3rd gen 4Runner brake Tundra", and you'll find all the info you need.
Are you running the stock rotors??

Yeah I researched quite a bit, and I'm wondering if there is a BIGGER setup than the 231mm Tundra stock brakes. Perhaps the brembo big brake setup for tundras?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

No... not stock rotors. I'm running the Tundra rotors. That's the point of the upgrade is being able to run thicker rotors than the ones that come stock on a 4Runner. Actually, when you switch to Tundra Calipers, you have no choice, you have to run thicker than stock rotors.

Where are you driving (or racing) that you need bigger brakes than the 231mm Tundras? My 4Runner stops on a dime now with that setup (and brand new stock rear shoes).

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 05-13-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

No... not stock rotors. I'm running the Tundra rotors. That's the point of the upgrade is being able to run thicker rotors than the ones that come stock on a 4Runner. Actually, when you switch to Tundra Calipers, you have no choice, you have to run thicker than stock rotors.

Where are you driving (or racing) that you need bigger brakes than the 231mm Tundras? My 4Runner stops on a dime now with that setup (and brand new stock rear shoes).

I figured you had the Tundra rotors.. Well I drive ALOT of highway at high speeds and there have been a few situations where I wished I had the braking capability of my dad's '08 Tundra.. (gotta love them tundra commercials... same voice guy from the whataburger commercials?) ok where was I..

I do 4wheel in desert sandy/duny conditions in which bigger, higher performance brakes are less likely to overheat.. Also I have the 33x12.50 on 17" wheels that don't help either..

I just received my brand new rear brake drums... I'm redoin my rear setup... new drums, pads, hardware and wheel cylinders (ones leaking so)

Anyways let me know what you think...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I highly recommend OEM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
I highly recommend OEM.
whyy
Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jvh4513
Anyways let me know what you think...
I think you'll notice a huge difference from stock if you upgrade to the 231mm Tundra brakes. I've got 32" tires (On 16" steel rims), so my rolling mass is likely higher than yours (actually, you have 12.5" tires, and I'm only running 265's, so you might still have me beat by a bit, but we'd be pretty close).

I can lock up the wheels and cause ABS to kick in on dry pavement pretty easy if I want to, so braking power is definitely there. I've done some pretty fast stops from high speeds as well (coming around a turn on the highway and traffic is at a dead stop ahead for construction) and there's been no indication of any warping on these rotors (I'm using OEM rotors... not aftermarket, although there are good aftermarket rotors out there).

My limitation to stopping now is traction between tire and pavement, so extra braking power wouldn't help me at all. In your case, you have a substantially larger footprint on the pavement with your 12.5" tires, so your tire to pavement traction would be higher than mine, meaning you could use more braking power than me without locking your wheels. That would be the only difference.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 05-13-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM

I think you'll notice a huge difference from stock if you upgrade to the 231mm Tundra brakes. I've got 32" tires (On 16" steel rims), so my rolling mass is likely higher than yours (actually, you have 12.5" tires, and I'm only running 265's, so you might still have me beat by a bit, but we'd be pretty close).

I can lock up the wheels and cause ABS to kick in on dry pavement pretty easy if I want to, so braking power is definitely there. I've done some pretty fast stops from high speeds as well (coming around a turn on the highway and traffic is at a dead stop ahead for construction) and there's been no indication of any warping on these rotors (I'm using OEM rotors... not aftermarket, although there are good aftermarket rotors out there).

My limitation to stopping now is traction between tire and pavement, so extra braking power wouldn't help me at all. In your case, you have a substantially larger footprint on the pavement with your 12.5" tires, so your tire to pavement traction would be higher than mine, meaning you could use more braking power than me without locking your wheels. That would be the only difference.
Thanks man, So where can I get the best price on some tundra calipers, pads and rotors. Is brembo any better? How about slotted or drilled?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Talking

Anyone think these would fit.... http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...A-A0EB2285C1AF
Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If I read that correctly they are 332mm? While these may be designed for the Tundra, I don't think I would go to such an extreme set up for your 4runner unless you plan on entering the Baja 500, but then you wouldn't be posting brake questions here if you were, LOL! If you search this forum you will find MANY Tundra brake upgrades for your 4runner that will far exceed anything you will encounter while driving your runner. Rockslide did one with a write up and he went to the 231mm, brought brand new parts from local auto parts store and they look fantastic. I also did a brake upgrade along with a write up and used the stock OEM calipers, rotor AND the OEM brake pads off a wrecked 2001 Thundra that had 199mm rotors and calipers and they work gr8!

I think going to the extreme with the TRD aftermarket set up at 332mm, I'm not too sure you will be able to make them fit up correctly. The dust shield mod that is required on these mods is minor so the larger rotor will fit correctly without rubbing. But if that number they show is correct I really don't think it will work, but I could be wrong.

Some have had issues with the larger calipers at 231mm and have suggested some grinding of the caliper to make it fit with stock wheels, but I don't know if that was necessary on all the 231mm mods. So going after the thundra brakes you show in the link, is way overkill for what you most likely will ever need. I think you are gonna be having to do way to much to make it work if you can at all, but hey, if you got the cash, time and where to to try the upgrade, then dude, go fo it, just take lots of pics and document what you do. Really gr8 mods are born out of wanting something different. Very good luck amd keep us posted
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
If I read that correctly they are 332mm? While these may be designed for the Tundra, I don't think I would go to such an extreme set up for your 4runner unless you plan on entering the Baja 500, but then you wouldn't be posting brake questions here if you were, LOL! If you search this forum you will find MANY Tundra brake upgrades for your 4runner that will far exceed anything you will encounter while driving your runner. Rockslide did one with a write up and he went to the 231mm, brought brand new parts from local auto parts store and they look fantastic. I also did a brake upgrade along with a write up and used the stock OEM calipers, rotor AND the OEM brake pads off a wrecked 2001 Thundra that had 199mm rotors and calipers and they work gr8!

I think going to the extreme with the TRD aftermarket set up at 332mm, I'm not too sure you will be able to make them fit up correctly. The dust shield mod that is required on these mods is minor so the larger rotor will fit correctly without rubbing. But if that number they show is correct I really don't think it will work, but I could be wrong.

Some have had issues with the larger calipers at 231mm and have suggested some grinding of the caliper to make it fit with stock wheels, but I don't know if that was necessary on all the 231mm mods. So going after the thundra brakes you show in the link, is way overkill for what you most likely will ever need. I think you are gonna be having to do way to much to make it work if you can at all, but hey, if you got the cash, time and where to to try the upgrade, then dude, go fo it, just take lots of pics and document what you do. Really gr8 mods are born out of wanting something different. Very good luck amd keep us posted

yeah might be a little overkill! so what i am guessing is that the that 332mm refers to the diameter of the rotor... so who knows if that would fit with my 17" rims..

hmmmmmmmm i just noticed they have 5 lug holes....

so much for the $2400 setup
Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've said this tons of times..... IF you want super brake do an overhaul on your brake system replacing everything but lines ofcouse. Using OEM PARTS!!!!!!!! You don't need to dang tundra brakes or nothing. For what? You plan on stoping in 50feet from 60 miles per hour? Why? Well you don't need it and Toyota Motor Corp. made that truck as good as it needed to be to last 1,000,000,000,000,000 Miles. Toyota knows more about that truck than anybody in the world. They made it that way for a reason. They made those brakes on there for a purpose!!! OEM!!!!!!! It would not fit properly anyway without bookoo funds and parts.... If you want super brakes then replace everything.... Calipers,rotors,pads,drums,wheel cylinders,shoes,master cyl......and buy parts from toyota and you will be great
Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jvh4513
hmmmmmmmm i just noticed they have 5 lug holes....

so much for the $2400 setup

I thought you might eventually see those $$ in your pocket! But you can do a really nice brake upgrade using the OEM Tundra rotor, caliper and pads. And even though Toyota engineers designed the current brake system to work on our generation trucks doesn't mean that they know or knew the best set up for all situtations, It was a Toyota engineer that designed the center console for the 96-98 Runners, and there was an issue with the current rotors warping prematurely, hey it happens and upgrading is part of ownership, some do some don't. Thats why they call it 'customizing'. But if you do the upgrade, stay with Toyota parts, they really are the best.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM

is the master cylinder the same size on the Tundra? if it's larger is it a direct swap? My 3rg gen has 240+k miles on it and the brakes are in need of an overhaul. Anyone know where to get SS brake lines for the 4x4? I've only seen them listed for the 2wd, dont know if they're the same.