Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake Clunk and Loose Driver's Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Clunk and Loose Driver's Seat

I have two issues with my 2003 Sport V8 4x4...a clunking in the brakes that is intermittent but frequent when slowing to a stop...almost like I am feeling, through the brake pedal, the truck hit a bump in the road as I am stopping that really isn't there. Also my driver's seat almost rocks from the looseness of its construction. While looking under the seat and moving it at the same time, I can see that the tolerances of the components allow for movement that I experience seated while going around corners, over bumps, etc.. I am planning on telling Toyota Service when I go in for the 5000 mile visit.

If anyone has any ideas on these two problems, they would be much welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:14 PM

My 98 Tacoma has the same thing with the seat. Is yours a Bench seat? It's rather irritating. Actually the whole seat is irritating. I've been looking at Seat source.com at getting new ones. I'm probably going to have my ride for a while so I might as well drive comfortably.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:52 PM

Re: Brake Clunk and Loose Driver's Seat

Originally posted by AndroT100
I have two issues with my 2003 Sport V8 4x4...a clunking in the brakes that is intermittent but frequent when slowing to a stop...almost like I am feeling, through the brake pedal, the truck hit a bump in the road as I am stopping that really isn't there. Also my driver's seat almost rocks from the looseness of its construction. While looking under the seat and moving it at the same time, I can see that the tolerances of the components allow for movement that I experience seated while going around corners, over bumps, etc.. I am planning on telling Toyota Service when I go in for the 5000 mile visit.

If anyone has any ideas on these two problems, they would be much welcomed.

Thanks.
Are you talking about a side-to-side rocking or front-to-back. My
drivers side seat ('03 SR5) sometimes moved a little front-to-back when I first got it, but I found it was due to not always getting both sides of the slide rails locked in place when I changed the seat position. Now, after the wife uses it and I have to adjust the seat, I make sure both rails are locked before I take off and haven't had any further problems.

As for the brake thing, I have noticed it once in a while, but only when I brake hard to a stop. Some times I get the 'thump' when I take my foot off the brake to take off, but not all the time. The dealer said they couldn't find anything, but then they never do.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:17 AM

I have noticed a slight clunk every once in a while when I apply the brake petal. When I first got the truck it happened more frequently. I thought someone tapped me from the rear first time it happened. It rarely happens now with a few K on the truck. Mine actually felt more like it came from the transfer case then the brakes. But as I said, it pretty much is gone now.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:25 AM

On the brakes, I'm not sure if this relates or not, or even if your brakes are similar to the ones on my 4runner, but here goes. When I got my 4runner last winter I heard a clunk..clunk..clunk from the left front tire when I would hit the brakes that would start/stop intermittently thereafter until the vehicle warmed up. I chalked it up to bad spindle bushings and replaced them this summer. However, I realized one of the 4 pistons in my front left caliper was not retracting all the way (during spindle bushing replacement). So, I'm thinking the clunking might come back this winter and my calipers will be due for a rebuild.

Of course, w/ a 2003 your calipers should be new enough that they don't have that problem. You might want to check if your rotors are warped (which causes pulsing during braking)
Old 10-08-2003, 06:57 AM

Scott72 and Techwrench,

This was covered elsewhere but the thunk sound/feel when you come to a stop and let off the brake is due to rear axle windup. There are slip joints in your 4R's driveline that need to be lubed.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:11 AM

Thanks,
It did feel like something in the driveline in my truck. I'll get under there this weekend with the grease gun and check it out. As I said, as the truck broke in, it pretty much went away (like my mystery dash rattle that went away). My tahoe had the exact same problem and Chevy sold this really expensive grease for the slip yoke (had to remove the driveshaft) which cured the clunk.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
Scott72 and Techwrench,

This was covered elsewhere but the thunk sound/feel when you come to a stop and let off the brake is due to rear axle windup. There are slip joints in your 4R's driveline that need to be lubed.
Thanks, I will check it out. But like Scott, I to have noticed, or should I say failed to notice this problem after I got more miles on it.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:27 PM

Loose Seat

Well thanks for the suggestions regarding my seat....

I did make sure both sides were locked-in. Then I found that the height adjustment was down all the way. After pumping the seat upwards a bit, it tightened it quite a bit. The seat bottom is still a little loose and acts as if it is on springs...if i take my weight off of it, it raises and then moves back down when I am seated. This isn't an eighteen wheeler!

My brakes are still doing the same thing...but it is prior to a complete stop....alwas just before a complete stop.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:53 AM

Unhappy brake Clunking

I am having a similar clunking noise when I apply the brakes. Like someone else said it comes and goes and usually happens when I release the brakes. The strange thing is that I have had my Runnner for about 5 months now and it had seemed to go away for the most part. Until I put some dress up spray on my tires now it is back and just as annoying as the first time. "(Scott72)...thunk sound/feel when you come to a stop and let off the brake is due to rear axle windup. There are slip joints in your 4R's driveline that need to be lubed." Can I have the dealer fix this? Or how do I fix it??? Thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 12:37 PM

Re: Brake Clunk and Loose Driver's Seat

There is a waranty fix for the seat noise..
link to NHTSA website..http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/Ar...00436-7793.pdf