Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Borla Cat-Back Exhaust, how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust, how is it?

I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust in my 4Runner (3.4L). I thought about doing just a muffler but apparently the pipe is rusted and the muffler man would need to replace the pipe all the way to the catalytic convertor anyway, then I have to buy a muffler and pay for installation so I'm looking at a high price with that.

Or, my other thought, was just to buy the Borla Cat-Back Exhaust system. I've had experience with Borla before and am very impressed and wouldn't hesitate one bit on buying this system, aside from the high price (but money can ALWAYS be found for the right thing ), and I don't want it to be too loud.

I am curious though, for those who have this system on their truck, what's the sound like? Is it obnoxious at high loads or highway speed, going up hills, etc.?

Borla's website compares putting their exhaust on a car to adding a subwoofer to your system... Not any louder, but more sound.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Borla Exhaust

My daughter and I just put one on my '93, and it took us about 45 minutes. The only reason it took this long is we had to drive into town to replace the gasket inbetween the cat and the old exhaust. It blew away in the wind. I love the sound, and actually get more sound from my K&N. At idle and under higher rpm's it sounds great, and is very quiet on the interstate. I highly recommend it. Plus the tip looks extremely awesome. Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by petros
I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust in my 4Runner (3.4L). I thought about doing just a muffler but apparently the pipe is rusted and the muffler man would need to replace the pipe all the way to the catalytic convertor anyway, then I have to buy a muffler and pay for installation so I'm looking at a high price with that.

Or, my other thought, was just to buy the Borla Cat-Back Exhaust system. I've had experience with Borla before and am very impressed and wouldn't hesitate one bit on buying this system, aside from the high price (but money can ALWAYS be found for the right thing ), and I don't want it to be too loud.

I am curious though, for those who have this system on their truck, what's the sound like? Is it obnoxious at high loads or highway speed, going up hills, etc.?

Borla's website compares putting their exhaust on a car to adding a subwoofer to your system... Not any louder, but more sound.

Thanks in advance.
Is your 4runner CA emmisions ? e.g one cat or two ?

I hated the single cat Borla as it resonated really badly at 1800-2200 rpm which made highway crusing very tiring. I returned it and they admitted they had a problem.

I had one on my 99 CA emmisions model (twin cat) and it was night and day.
Well made, nice rumble at idle, quiet at speed, no droan.

David
Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM

I was also thinking of getting this exhaust because I've seen it on ebay for $499 shipped brand new. My only concern is the location of the tailpipe. Does it come out just like the factory exhaust or does it come out more towards the back?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by manofsteele2003
I was also thinking of getting this exhaust because I've seen it on ebay for $499 shipped brand new. My only concern is the location of the tailpipe. Does it come out just like the factory exhaust or does it come out more towards the back?
What year ?

Almost all of the later ones come out right at the factory location.

Some of the early TRD CAT backs made by Borla came ostriaght back

D
Old 07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
What year ?

Almost all of the later ones come out right at the factory location.

Some of the early TRD CAT backs made by Borla came ostriaght back

D
Where did you get your borla cat back, I also need a dual cat CA emissions version. price?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

$500?! Yowzers! For that much you could buy a nice welder and some mandrel bent pipe and do it yourself. Then you would have a welder and an exhaust system.

I know, that's not realistic. Hey, have you seen Corey's exhaust comparison page? Check it out when you get a chance. I know Dr. Z was pretty happy with Jardine's system and it was way cheaper than $500.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM

Well, after spending about $1000 for the exhaust on my 350Z and spending about $300 for a used exhaust for the MR2 I sold, I don't think $500 is all that bad. Most places around here would charge that much to fab one up for you. I used to work at Midas about 8 years ago and I worked with the best exhaust guys I have ever seen but unfortunetly niether one of them work there anymore.

By the way I have a 97 SR5.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow $500 dollars im guessing its cuz its all stainless steel i spent $170 dollars on my exhaust hmm i wonder what i could do with the $330 dollars i saved
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked mine with the 3.0. I will run it with the 1UZ for a while until I get the itch to go duals.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Is your 4runner CA emmisions ? e.g one cat or two ?

I hated the single cat Borla as it resonated really badly at 1800-2200 rpm which made highway crusing very tiring. I returned it and they admitted they had a problem.

I had one on my 99 CA emmisions model (twin cat) and it was night and day.
Well made, nice rumble at idle, quiet at speed, no droan.

David
Well, I'm pretty sure I have a CA model as it was a CA car and passed smog a few times in CA. I didn't know there was a difference on the exhaust though, I've never seen that option when looking to buy this system. But from the sounds of it it's a great system. I heard the sound clip on that link provided and it sounds great on that runner.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i bet the hard part of putting that kit on is trying to get the old bolts off the cat