Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Body & Suspension Lift

Old 09-25-2003, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body & Suspension Lift

I was thinking of putting a RB 2" lift on the rig, but now I'm thinking of fitting the RB lift and a Cornfed 2" spacer set as well. Have any of you guys got this set-up? If so, what are the pro's and con's of doing it? All or any advice/suggestions appreciated!!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

What is the purpose of your truck? Daily driver / occasional offroading, look pretty, hardcore off-roading?? What size/kind of tire do you want to put under there? Do you have the $$$ for the tires yet? 4 inches of lift on stock tires is gonna look pretty funny thats all. I would do this in moderation. Do one, see how you like it, then add the next.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:31 PM

Well it's my daily driver, and it will be used for a bit of minor offroading. I know it sounds a bit lame but I want it to look tough. I intend to put 285/75 BFG's on. Probably on the stock rims. But I'm looking out for a set of 16 x 8 rims from an LX 450 (the 5 spoke's)

You are probably right though, I will get the RB kit first, but I reckon I'll get the rest before long.

Is the RB lift enough to clear 285's on it's own?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Body & Suspension Lift

Originally posted by Cmar
I was thinking of putting a RB 2" lift on the rig, but now I'm thinking of fitting the RB lift and a Cornfed 2" spacer set as well. Have any of you guys got this set-up? If so, what are the pro's and con's of doing it? All or any advice/suggestions appreciated!!
Ciaran,

I love my 2" RB body lift with bumper mounts and steering extension, $166 3 day air shipped. It really improved the looks of my rig and allowed me to fit 285/75/R16 MTRs with only minor rubbing on full turn, doesn't hurt anything, from 225/75/R15s. Check out my website for the pics.

Here is a thread of my install write-up, which is soon to be on the website as well.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=body+lift

I know that ravencr(Chris) did a 1" RB body lift with Cornfed spacers, but I'm sure he'll chime in here soon enough with his 0.02.

Hope this helps in your decision some! PM me if you have any specific questions about the 2" Roger Brown body lift, I'll be glad to help.

Brian
Old 09-25-2003, 12:53 PM

Cheers Brian,

I'd like to go the whole hog and put the RB and spacer lift on. I have an auto so I know the RB lift is very straight forward. But would adding the spacers mean that other stuff would have to be modified?
Old 09-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Banned

Spacers

Cheers Brian,

I'd like to go the whole hog and put the RB and spacer lift on. I have an auto so I know the RB lift is very straight forward. But would adding the spacers mean that other stuff would have to be modified?
Cheers Ciaran,

I know the 2" Roger Brown body lift is very straight forward and will afford you getting some 285s, however, I have no concrete answer about the spacers. I would assume that since one has to do with suspension and the other body, that the spacers will still be as straight forward as they would without the body lift, yet I would get some more input. Like I said, Chris (ravencr) has done this with a 1" RB body lift, and I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough or you could check his threads about his lift. I'm sure the info is all there.

I hope this helps!

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-26-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:19 PM

Re: Spacers

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Cheers Ciaran,

I know the 2" Roger Brown body lift is very straight forward and will afford you getting some 285s, however, I have no concrete answer about the spacers. I would assume that since one has to do with suspension and the other body, that the spacers will still be as straight forward as they would without the body lift, yet I would get some more input. Like I said, Chris (ravencr) has done this with a 1" RB body lift, and I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough or you could check his threads about his lift. I'm sure the info is all there.

I hope this helps! My family name is Irish, Draughon. Ever heard it?

Brian
Thanks Brian,

The only problem I can see is getting the stuff from the US to Ireland! Shipping will probably be pretty expensive. Do you encounter much rubbing with the 285's and the 2" lift?
From what I can gather, the spacers do not rquire any other mod's. However I may go for the 2" spacer and 1" lift. There is so much stuff out there and some much info on YT that my head is spinning trying to figure out what to do!
And I have to bear in mind, no-one over in Ireland will have this set-up, in fact there ain't many 3rd gens over here. So it's not like I can compare set-up's with anyone. Although I do know a guy (Morr on YT) that is probably going to get an RB kit with me.

Just off topic for a sec... Your rig looks great Brian. Nice work. I am hoping to order a Surco or AdventureRak soon and fit the 4x spotlights to it, so pics of your set-up, once complete would be great!

Cheers
Ciaran
Old 09-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

i put on a 2.5 inch cornfed suspension lift (spacers in front, downey coils in back) first, the a 1.5 inch rb body lift. it's a good setup, but i'd suggest getting SAWs up front for a suspension lift if you can afford it to begin with.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the plug Brian! I still sense your mad at me, but who knows.

At any rate, I've got 2" of spacer lift up front, and 2.5" spacer lift in the rear in conjunction with a 1" RB body lift. I'm also running 285/75R16 Revos, and mine is a limited, so I had to do some fender trimming to make the front clear.

If you want install details, go to: www.toyota-4runners.com/body-lift.html That's the only part I've got done, and if you want to read the thread I started in reference to my lift, go here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...lift+has+begun

I haven't gotten to the suspension lift on my site, but the thread has it all. Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 09-26-2003, 06:52 AM

So do I take it that even with a 2" body and 2" suspension lift that the 285's will still rub on my factory flares? Is this on articulation or full lock?
This set-up is for daily driving and occasional offroading...
Old 09-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Banned

To give you an idea...

So do I take it that even with a 2" body and 2" suspension lift that the 285's will still rub on my factory flares? Is this on articulation or full lock?
Ciaran,

To give you an idea, I rub, it's more of a slight brush, it is not tearing up anything, onroad when I turn fully and the backside of the tire width hits the inside of the fender well as it goes by. Makes a little noise, but no biggy. This is only with a 2" body lift. I imagine when I get some suspension lift I'll be okay. I imagine you will too, especially onroad. Off, you might rub a bit, but I know that Schaefer has a 2" suspension lift with 285s and thats what he runs, so it must be pretty okay.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 09-26-2003, 09:16 AM

Yes and no! They will not rub while normally driving on road, because your tire's maximum widt will be below the fender flare with that setup. But, when you compress the suspension and turn, such as off-roading you will definitely hit the fender flare and everyone hits their frames with the inside of the tire, not matter what combination of body lift and suspension lift they have. The fender rubbing you can fix like I did, or put up with it, but if you plan to go off-roading often and have a mud tire, I'd say you'd be real smart to do what I did to get rid of it rubbing the fender flare, because you'd probably mess it up.

But, since you're rarely going to go off-roading with that setup, you'd probably be fine without doing any fender trimming and very minimal rubbing while turning.

Brian,

As far as Steve running only two inches of suspension lift and being okay, he has done the fender trimming too, and that's the only reason he's okay off-roading as much as he does. That's partially where I got the idea of doing it myself. And, like I've said before, you get by with 1" of body lift and the fender trimming, and you won't even rub.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:10 PM

I thought you were too softcore to do fender trimming to your truck?

Chris
Old 09-26-2003, 01:34 PM

This is fun! What was the question again?

Chris
Old 09-26-2003, 02:14 PM

No, I just wanted to see if you'd repeat yourself once again, and my intuition proved true!

Planning down there to do some fender trimming, heh? Sounds like fun....NOT! Just kidding, but I can help you through the entire process if you're interested!

Chris