Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Body Lift Install Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lift Install Help Please!

I am somewhat experienced with wrenching on cars and rigs but would love to have someone help me do my body lift install.

If anyone is in the new England area, that could come down on a weekend to help I would.

A. pay you for your time or
B. weld or fabricate something for you
C. buy you lunch / beer

Most of my friends who also build cars,,,,,happen to work in corrections / law enforcement / govt related and work on the weekends....

Regards, Tim
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 AM

bump for me

c'mon I will weld something for you!i actualy have half a clue!

Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Body lifts are about as easy as they get, just have a 4x4 (piece of wood) and a jack, take your time, should go fine. You might want an extra car in case you have to run to Ace or Checker or something.

I'd help I guess, but in NM here...
Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem! I did it myself in a few hours. If you get off at night, id go ahead and unscrew all the floor moldings around the inside of the doors to get to the top of the body mount bolts. In the morning loosen both sides up, but dont take the bolts off... pick one side first nad lift it up with a floor jack and a 4x4 peice of wood right on the body inbetween the rocker panels and frame rail. slide in the pucks and put the bolts on loosely. Do the other side.

If you are doing a steering extension, completely unbolt the steering joint (rag-joint?) first!!

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
You shouldnt have a problem! I did it myself in a few hours. If you get off at night, id go ahead and unscrew all the floor moldings around the inside of the doors to get to the top of the body mount bolts. In the morning loosen both sides up, but dont take the bolts off... pick one side first nad lift it up with a floor jack and a 4x4 peice of wood right on the body inbetween the rocker panels and frame rail. slide in the pucks and put the bolts on loosely. Do the other side.

If you are doing a steering extension, completely unbolt the steering joint (rag-joint?) first!!

Good luck!
I am going to do the extension,,,I hear that this is a must??????

please tell me what the case is

thanks

...just would be helpful to have another set of hands...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, Id do an extension no matter what height...But, supposidly you can get away w/o one with 1". I think the steering will tighten up w/o a SE.

No I understand, extra hands are always better!!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 AM

How big of a BL are you going to be doing? Whatever the lift they are super easy to do as those have already stated.

Not convinced? Check out http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml for general questions, install instructions and purchasing for lifts, extensions, etc. Also available through his site is bumper drop brackets.

RB kits are the best "kit" out there IMHO.

not affiliated, yadda yadda

Last edited by Pozi; 07-26-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Tim,

Body lifts are easy and I have done several by myself in a few hours. Nice to have extra hands, but it seems to add to the time.

PB blaster the bolts/nuts the night before. On a 1" bl on a 3rd gen the steering extension is not needed...but you can do it regardless...it has plenty of splines to move that far IIRC. There are lots of accessories you can add, bumper brackets, shifter extensions, steering extensions, etc...that is why I just stuck w/ 1" body lift kits to sell...just spacers and bolts...makes my life easier. Anything over a 1" body lift to try and solve some issue just makes more issues and can be more readily solved doing something besides a body lift IMO.

If you still have questions after rooting around the internet and the various links posted above...gimme a call on the weekend when you get ready to do it, I can talk you through it.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 AM

yeah i figure 1 inch will be optimal, give me a little more clearance on full stuff

thanks, tim
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

don't forget to take off the gas cap before you lift the body, otherwise you might pop it off. You may also need to extend the filler neck when you're done.

Russell
Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

If you do a 1.5" body lift, all you need to extend is the steering.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 AM

thanks for the responses, keep them coming

I am going with a 1 inch, but will do the steering extension just to be on the safe side...

anyone on here running a 1 inch body lift without the steering extension?

thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by boogyman
don't forget to take off the gas cap before you lift the body, otherwise you might pop it off. You may also need to extend the filler neck when you're done.

Russell
You won't have this problem on a 4Runner...as I've done 2" body lifts and no issues w/ the filler neck or gas cap. Maybe on Tacomas, but not any 4Runner I've lifted.

Best bet is just look for possilbe problems before you start jacking up the body like loosening the steering shaft, battery cables/brackets, etc ahead of time.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You won't have this problem on a 4Runner...as I've done 2" body lifts and no issues w/ the filler neck or gas cap. Maybe on Tacomas, but not any 4Runner I've lifted.

Best bet is just look for possilbe problems before you start jacking up the body like loosening the steering shaft, battery cables/brackets, etc ahead of time.

yeah I figure I will set the steering wheel straight, and then unbolt the steering at the rag joint,,,then jack up the body as suggested

hopefully a fellow YT'er that is local will offer their help,,,,, even just having someone else there on the jackstands, or a set of eyes will be good
Old 07-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

i did mine by myself in about 4+ hours. simple as pie really. lube the bolts before hand, have some 2X4 or even better 4X4 on hand. i had sliders on mine already so i couldnt use the pinch weld. had to be creative with wood placement.

steering extension is easy. only goes one way, but depending on how your joint is sitting...some of the nuts might be hard to get to. dont forget to loosen the clamp off the shaft. this will give you play for the adjustment. i had very tight steering on mine and forgot all about it. fixed it right up. may want to undo those plastic clips that hold down the wheel well liners. oh and when i started it back up, i got a nasty noise from the lower part of the fan shroud hitting the fan :pat: took that off and all was good...the rest is pretty much nuts n bolts...

dont forget the before & after pics