Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

blue lights in turn signals...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 08:05 AM
96SR5Limited

blue lights in turn signals...

i xenon head lights and blue corners.... when i get my clear blinkers.... is it that illegal to put blue bulbs for the turns... need some input. i got pics coming soon ill keep ya posted.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is in my state
Old 02-05-2003, 08:35 AM

I know here in SC it is illegal to have anything blue anywhere on the outside of your car. I bought some what I thought were xenon bulbs for my clear corners but ended up being blue. I had them in and before I had time to change them (about a week) I got a ticket for improper colored parking lamps. A nice $100 fine that was reduced to $50 after going to court. It's definitely not worth it man.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:39 AM

As stated prior:

Blue lights=tickets in just about all states.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:41 AM
96SR5Limited

Well i live in FL... and i don't hear much of people getting a ticket for their lights... i know many people with xenon blinkers.... i guess ill just be careful if theres a cop in front of me... cause there never on unless u use yer blinker i could easily just not use it if i see a cop in front of me i guess its worth it hopefully i won't get pulled over... i just got pulled over for my tint... and got a damn ticket for my seltbelt oh well will see...
Old 02-05-2003, 09:16 AM

MD T/A 22-207 $50

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-05-2003, 03:13 PM

I think here in colorado, if you have anything that is not a white light pointing foward you'll get a fine.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 PM
A+

Yeah blue lights are reserved for police(in NY and i'm sure in many states).I have a pair but I rarely if any use them, I don't think it's worth the risk getting a fix ticket for it.If your against having amber bulbs, u should just spray them w/ chrome spray paint.If you look at it during the day it looks pure chrome thru the clear bumper lens but when I use my turn signal you can see an orange color.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:06 PM

Angry Illegal Colored Lights

Illegal colors in headlights/corner lights/bumper lights are red and blue. Undercar kits are OK as long as the neon tubes are hidden (only the glow visible). I tried the blue corner light thing as well but was luckier than some of you guys and found out eary enough. If you do want colored lights on the outside, wire them seperately and with an on/off switch so you can have them on for shw but still be legal on the road. I also had blue license plate lights for the longest time and never had problems with them. Maybe I just got lucky... but yeah, blue isreserved for emergency vehicles.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like I've been luckier than most here. I had blue signal bulbs up front for almost a year, and no problem. I even used them several times in front of cops. I've had clear corners with xenon, white LED, or plain clear bulbs for just as long and have never been pulled over for improper parking light color either. I've also traveled out of state several times and never a problem. Dunno what the deal is, guess I'm just lucky.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:41 AM

Hmm, I wonder if Iowa law enforcement is just lazy. Around here just about EVERYONE has blue windshield wiper nozzle LEDs installed (Acura Integras, Pontiac Grand Ams, Plymouth Voyagers), but of course two LED's don't put out much light. It also seems however that nobody in Iowa can install an underbody kit without exposing the tubes, which police can't stand.

I digress...

I would go with regular orange/amber colored lights in the bumper lenses to avoid the additional costs of tickets - at least they still look really nice during the daytime.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:03 AM

I'll throw in my two cents as a 4Runner owner and a police officer. Are the blue lights illegal? In a vast majority of states yes they are. Here is the skinny. Most laws regarding blue lights and such were meant to stop people who weren't police officers from trying to act/look like they are. Who would ever have imagined people would think it was cool to have lighted blue wiper nozzles? I live in a large city and half of the teenage population has those blue windshield wiper nozzle lights. Are they illegal? Yes. I usually have much bigger fish to fry than worry about some wiper nozzle attached to a coffee-canned exhaust Honda with a rear wing so big, it may have come off of a jet airplane*smirk*. Do I care? Not really unless i'm looking for something else (i.e. PC to stop). The ones around here that will get you stopped and ticketed are the blue/red strobe lights people are putting in their headlights and and red/blue flashing lights or neon in the dash area. If you want to light things up in your vehicle, don't use any red or blue (i.e. emergency vehicle colors) then you probably won't see any red or blue lights in your rear view mirror

Last edited by kc4runner; 02-06-2003 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:29 AM

96SR5Limited,

Before going into Federal law enforcement I was a local level police officer in the state of Florida. Blue lights are reserved for law enforcement vehicles. When I was a cop I even wrote people tickets for having the blue neon lights on the undercarriage of their vehicles. It is only a matter of time before you get stopped and cited for the blue turn signal lights. Florida state law requires that turn signals emit a yellow or amber color. Whether the bulb is yellow or the lens, the color seen must be yellow. Also, the neon license plate lights are also illegal. Florida law states that the license plate must be illuminated by at least one white light that makes the tag visible from a distance of 50 feet at night. People always asked me, "If it is illegal to use them, why do they sell them?" I always had to tell them that it is not illegal to sell them and they are legal for use in some states.

Echo
Old 02-06-2003, 09:07 AM

Arrow

No offense intended for any of the law enforcers on this board, I don't mean that police as a whole are lazy. I realize that there are bigger problems that need attention besides sixteen year olds with winged, glowing Hondas that make buzzing noises, although I will continue to dispute the fact that these drivers are causing a distraction on the road. I guess it's the same for us though, other drivers can't see the traffic lights when they're behind us at a red light.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:49 PM

The thing I don't get is the 'hyper-white' bulbs have a blue coating to take away the yellowish glow of the naked bulb, turning the bulb into a whiteish glow when ON. Driving at night, it looks white, not blue. In the daytime, who's gonna think a tiny blue bulb is a police vehicle? The LED's and strobe things...yeah, those are real blue, but to issue a citation for a blue corner bulb or reverse bulb is CS :chicken:
Old 02-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

what butnut said is what I don't understand either, after owning and i actually still own my PIAA superwhite platinum bulbs and geting a ticket for it, when I know they are NOT BLUE when lit but are blue when they are not on, which is like never because I have DRL, well I guess when it's parked but still I dont' understand, they should only be stopping people will blue flashingl ights! arg!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have clear corners and clear bumper lights on my 89 the have regular white bulbs in them not amber, just white. i also have diamond clear headlights too, those have hyperwhite bulbs and have small blue bulbs built in so when my parking lights are on there is also a blue bulb in my headlamp, its not bright and doesn't flash it just gives the head lights a blue tint. have not been pulled over.....yet!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:33 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by 96SR5Limited
.... i guess ill just be careful if theres a cop in front of me... cause there never on unless u use yer blinker i could easily just not use it if i see a cop in front of me i guess its worth it hopefully i won't get pulled over... i just got pulled over for my tint... and got a damn ticket for my seltbelt oh well will see...
Old 06-23-2006, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 96SR5Limited
cause there never on unless u use yer blinker i could easily just not use it if i see a cop in front of me...
Ah, so I can run into you because you, just like every one else decides to not use their blinker, cool.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Why would you want blue corner lights;that ricey style is so '90s now and should just go away unless you want to give a cop a reason to intrude into your life. Circus colored bulbs are tacky period IMO.