Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Black tail lights??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black tail lights??

Are these tail lights new? They are popping up all over ebay and I don't think I've ever seen them before.. Anybody have them?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 PM

naw. havent rly seen them. they look alright i guess... mine are fine though. lol.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:29 PM

lol as a matter of fact they are new!

Here's the other black tail light that's made! It's definitely different.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Has anyone seen the solid black tail lights? They almost look like a black cover?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM

brian how you think those would look on mine? oh yea i still have to get you the pics with the tint and lights my bad man!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by lr9788
Has anyone seen the solid black tail lights? They almost look like a black cover?
I've seen solid black tail light covers, is that what you're talking about?

Originally Posted by pitpatt
brian how you think those would look on mine? oh yea i still have to get you the pics with the tint and lights my bad man!
I think they would look badass, how do you think they would look on mine? Man I didn't even know you got your windows tinted and yeah man I'm wanting to see those headlights too, haha
Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 AM

i'd like a set of blackouts. do they make BO's for the front?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by lr9788
Some people do this:
http://www.decalfx.com/smoked_tail_light_film.html

And some people use VHT Nite-Shades

Originally Posted by the_gunslinger
i'd like a set of blackouts. do they make BO's for the front?
Yes, they make smoked corners.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Jason Burtman sells the JDM black headlights & corners.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the lights on my truck ;-) and you ALL know how COOL it is! lol

They work fine and were easy to install. No complaints and they addeda lot to the rear of my truck.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:48 AM

I had those, nice.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

IDK, they look a little ricey to me, i don't thing any Toyota truck looks good with those type of taillights IMO
Old 09-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Those are the lights on my truck ;-) and you ALL know how COOL it is! lol

They work fine and were easy to install. No complaints and they addeda lot to the rear of my truck.
Can you tell what size each bulb socket is? Cause on my 02, I had to get a new wiring harness to get the clear tail lights to fit.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Well the bulbs fit into the harness o what ever is on the harness is what it will use. Did you replace the harness with the stock one? These lights use the stock harness to if not you might not be able to use it.

The bulbs it used were the normal ones that go in the rear. I think they are 7443 style.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Not to start a post war, but I don't care much about how they look. I care more about safety.

I have seen many different kinds of aftermarket tailights and tailight covers on may different kinds of trucks and cars. I have yet to see any that are a bright as stock. If they aren't as bright as stock, they arent as safe. Period.

A while back, I saw a F150 that had one aftermarket tailight (very much like what the pictures show) and one factory tailight. I don't know why it was that way, but it doesn't matter. The factory tailight appeared to be twice as bright as the aftermarket one. Brighter is safer.

Back in the early '90s I was driving to MacDill AFB south of Tampa early one morning for weekend drill. It was raining hard. I was driving 45 in a 55 zone, trying my best to see ahead in the darkness. I went through a green light at an intersection. Right after that, I suddenly encountered a Mustang with tinted tailight covers, which I barely saw. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to keep from hitting him. If his car had not had the tinted covers, I would have had more time to react. Fortunately, I didn't have an accident. If I had, according to Florida law, I would have been at fault. A driver that rear ends another driver in Florida is at fault except in rare circumstances (such as the other driver being drunk).

Would it have been fair for me to be charged with the accident when the accident would have been at least partially caused by someone who made their tailights/brakelights harder to see?

Why would anyone want to make their tailights/brakelights harder to see?

The factory tailights are just fine. Leave them alone. If you think they need modified, then add brighter bulbs.

Last edited by William; 09-02-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

This is true and that is why tinting your lights is illegal in virtually every state.

Now replacing them is fine as for the most part. The ones above are actually brighter than my stock ones for 2 reasons. 1: they are clear where the bulbs are and 2: I got LED bulbs to replace the lights with while switching them. Between the 2 they are a lot brighter than stock and when I step on the brakes the light come on quicker and it has been proven that every 100th of a second at 60 miles an hours is X feet of stopping distance for the guy behind you.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM

Yeah all 3 sockets are 7443.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

in california next to chrome wheels the next beaned out upgrade is spray painting they're tail lights black, how is this not illegal in california?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

I wish people wouldn't throw the term "JDM" around so much like it means anything when it doesn't apply. In Japan no 3rd gens had black headlights or corners and their tails are just slightly different than our's.

I don't mind the black tails but the chrome ones are just rediculously gaudy and played out.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
This is true and that is why tinting your lights is illegal in virtually every state.

Now replacing them is fine as for the most part. The ones above are actually brighter than my stock ones for 2 reasons. 1: they are clear where the bulbs are and 2: I got LED bulbs to replace the lights with while switching them. Between the 2 they are a lot brighter than stock and when I step on the brakes the light come on quicker and it has been proven that every 100th of a second at 60 miles an hours is X feet of stopping distance for the guy behind you.
I don't know if the aftermarket tailight on the F150 I mentioned above had an LED bulb in it, but the lense was clear. All I know is that it was about half as bright as the side that had the factory tailight.

I like LEDs. I have added aftermarket LED tailight/brakelights to the rear of all 3 of the motorcycles I've owned to supplement the factory tailight/brakelights. You can see how much slower the factory bulb comes to full brightness (looks to be about a half second slower) compared to LED lights.

On a motorcycle, being seen is much more critical, and I would never make the lights harder to see. I will only add LEDs to supplement the factory bulbs, not to replace them. I once did try an LED bulb to replace the factory bulb on my first bike, and it was actually dimmer, especially in bright sunlight. Fortunately, I had supplemental LEDs already, so I still had more light overall than with the factory bulb.

Also, LEDs are harder to see at an angle to one side compared to a standard incandescent bulb. When installed in a tailight, unless the lense is designed for LED bulbs, the lense can actually make the situation worse. And the clear lenses in many aftermarket tailights don't have built in diffusers to spread the light like an factory tailight lense has can make matters worse.

I wouldn't replace my tailights with aftermarket tailights. If I want brighter ones, there are better bulbs that fit the factory tailights. But I still see no reason to replace the factory tailights with aftermarket lights.

Quick Reply: Black tail lights??