Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Black pearl stuff - updated info

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black pearl stuff - updated info

Hello all,

I just spent a bunch of time with the search engine and looking and calling around and thought I'd post the information I found and see if anyone else had any new information on the black pearl emblems.

It seems that those of us whose tailgates look like this:

Are out of luck.

It seems the black pearl emblems are now nowhere to be found. I had a chat with Burtman Ent. yesterday and he can get them for you, but they are ridiculously expensive! I only want the front and back Toyota "T" logo emblems, and they were $120 a piece. Apparently they no longer make them, so you buy a silver emblem from Toyota and they do the black pearl plating then send it back to you. So if you do want the REAL thing, it sounds like it is still available but at a very high premium.

Noone else that I've found seems to have them available.

DIY option: It seems you can still order the black pearl spray paint directly from Testor's. See following link: http://www.testors.com/products/136245

It seems there are mixed reports on the success of the DIY jobs. I read a few posts where folks said they didn't look that good, or they started rubbing off or the old gold or silver was showing through.

Antenna nut: I don't think these are anywhere to be found either. Called TRD Sparks Toyota and they said not available. TRDparts4u still the item number up on their website, but they no longer carry it.

Anyway, just thought this might be helpful to some other folks out there. Anyone who has other updated information or by some chance knows a secret place to get these, please let me know!

Last edited by fireball; 04-21-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
check Bobs writeup at 4runners.org

He has some decent info on there, using testors Black Pearl paint

I tried it myself, and it turned out terrible.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I pulled mine and gave them a good sanding. used some rustoleum black and them some clear. They have been on over a year with no chipping or peeling. even at the car wash they have held up well.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I picked up a set less the antenna nut for a very minimal price ... auto wrecking yard. Still deciding if I am going to use them just yet ... might be the only place you are gonna find the "real deal" but they are about as scare there as they were from Toyota. Good luck
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Ritzy,

Sent you a PM trying to talk you out of using them and selling them to me!

Deathcougar - why do you think yours turned out poorly? Poor painting technique on your part? I'm no great painter and I don't want to go the DIY route and have it looking shoddy....
Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mountainryder00
I pulled mine and gave them a good sanding. used some rustoleum black and them some clear. They have been on over a year with no chipping or peeling. even at the car wash they have held up well.
Exact same thing I did. Fools a few of my friends into thinking they are black pearl until they come up close.

Last edited by 02_Limited; 04-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by fireball
Ritzy,

Sent you a PM trying to talk you out of using them and selling them to me!

Deathcougar - why do you think yours turned out poorly? Poor painting technique on your part? I'm no great painter and I don't want to go the DIY route and have it looking shoddy....
the problem I ran into, even after carefully following the directions, was pooling. The paint wanted to pool to one side or the other even with light, minor coats.

I will say, i was not able to find the testors black pearl paint, but some different stuff labeled "Window tint" and then a Pearl clearcoat
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my gold set is coming off my 99 SR5 now. The 4wd emblem is spoken for but I still have the SR5 and the 4RUNNER ones if any of you want more to play with and experiment.

My 99 has no Toyota spelled out on the rear like pictured above.

I am keeping the gold logo/symbol near the wiper.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Well, I just ordered the Testor's black pearl paint. I will probably have my paint guy do the front and rear Toyota "T" logo emblems. I tried to take the badges off the back of the tailgate, and ended up taking a bit of paint with them, so I will probably have my paint guy respray the tailgate.

Not sure if I will just have him fill in the holes for the back emblem, or keep it there. The back end might look kind of naked with nothing there.

Anyway, will post some pics once it's all done.

Last edited by fireball; 05-05-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Limited
Exact same thing I did. Fools a few of my friends into thinking they are black pearl until they come up close.

How did you get your middle "T" emblem off? Take off the plastic on the inside of the tailgate?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM

once off, how do you make these things stick again? are they just 3m emblem tape
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by stir_fry_boy
How did you get your middle "T" emblem off? Take off the plastic on the inside of the tailgate?

Are you talking about the one below the Kicker sticker? It's the only emblem on the back that's held with adhesive tape and has 2 plastic pegs on the top and the bottom of the ring that surrounds the T. I just used dental floss and a hairdryer to loosen up the tape and worked the floss back and forth till it popped off. It did feel like it was kind of flimsy and about to break though, so be easy on it
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02_Limited
Are you talking about the one below the Kicker sticker? It's the only emblem on the back that's held with adhesive tape and has 2 plastic pegs on the top and the bottom of the ring that surrounds the T.
As to not confuse xjsqared, I assume you meant that toyota logo emblem is the only emblem that's held on with adhesive AND 2 pegs....As all the emblems on the rear hatch are held on with adhesive, not just the toyota logo
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
As to not confuse xjsqared, I assume you meant that toyota logo emblem is the only emblem that's held on with adhesive AND 2 pegs....As all the emblems on the rear hatch are held on with adhesive, not just the toyota logo
Yep, that's what I meant. Just a little burnt out from finals studying...
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fireball
Not sure if I will just have him fill in the holes for the back emblem, or keep it there. The back end might look kind of naked with nothing there.
you could have the holes filled and then either find some stick on emblems from a different model (maybe even black pearl colored from a camry or avalon or something) or get the 4runner toyota symbol and lop off the two prongs and stick it on there. not having holes in the tailgate might open up more possibilities for either finding black pearl emblems or something else that looks better. just a thought.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

It might be too late, but I just came across a used set for sale over on T4R:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...threadid=50104
Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Got the testor's paint in the other day and will try to start the process tomorrow.

Can anyone give me some advise as to how to remove the emblem from the front grill? Do i have to remove the whole grill to access the screws? I have a '99, and it feels like the front emblem has 2 screws holding it to the grill assembly.

Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

^ You don't have to remove the grille just to remove the emblem...it just makes it a bit easier to access the screw if you do remove the grille first.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Here is a shot of my OEM Black Pearl emblems just to drive you guys a little crazier.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
^ You don't have to remove the grille just to remove the emblem...it just makes it a bit easier to access the screw if you do remove the grille first.
So the front emblem comes out with just those 2 screws? It looks like with a small enough screwdriver I can access them without taking the grill off.

Quick Reply: Black pearl stuff - updated info