Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bilstein Resevoir Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bilstein Resevoir Shocks

I've been looking at some different lift options and I was wondering what everyone thinks about going with the Bilstein 5150 Reservoir shocks with OME 890 (maybe 891?) coils in the rear? Then I would do Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir shocks in the front with OME 883 coils (whichever the medium coils are, maybe the heavy duty ones with an All-Pro front bumper ,winch, lights and full skids?) in the front. Would I be able to mix the OME coils with the Bilstein shocks like that? I'm just trying to figure out a cost effective, capable suspension. This lift would run me about $900-$1000 which seems good for what it is. I would call Toytec or All-Pro to figure out what size shocks I would need so that's not a big concern. If anyone has any input or suggestions I would love to hear it all.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 AM

I am interested in the 5150 rears. My ome's get really hot and fade sometimes.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by j-money$$$
I am interested in the 5150 rears. My ome's get really hot and fade sometimes.
I think they'll work well in the rear and for the price you can't beat it. Anyone know if the 7100's with remote reservoirs will work with OME coils up front? That's my biggest concern.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

I wish I had pursued this a little more. Somewhere on here, ttora, or CT is a guy with 5150s up front (and in the rear). If that's possible, surely a 7100 RR could work. I bet the guys at ToyTec could tell you this in a few secs of looking.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bennito
I wish I had pursued this a little more. Somewhere on here, ttora, or CT is a guy with 5150s up front (and in the rear). If that's possible, surely a 7100 RR could work. I bet the guys at ToyTec could tell you this in a few secs of looking.
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna call the ToyTec guys as soon as I get closer to pulling the trigger. How do you like your 5150's in the rear? How do they perform on and offroad? Do you know what length and valving you have? I was gonna do the remote resi's up front cause I wasn't sure how well the 5150's would do up front because of the limited valving options and the size of the reservoirs. What's your opinion since you have them? Sorry to drill you with questions but I don't want to go with plain old OME shocks again if I can do better for close to the same price.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure I feel comfortable giving an opinion. yet. Like a lot of people I took off blown shocks, so they feel amazing in comparison. I definitely like them more than the HD bilsteins I had on prior. But that's not saying much. Next weekend I'm putting on some new coilovers up front. That puts me 2 weeks out from an offroad test. (*I'm pairing them w/ 890s. i wonder if I shoulda went with 891s...but I figure someone will trade me if needed)

Valving (from toytec) is the firm (255/70). I believe they are 8.5" travel.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I believe the 5150s are probably overkill for our applications if I recall correctly they're rated heavier....but ask Doug or Darrick over there and see what they say
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM

I'm not sure I feel comfortable giving an opinion. yet. Like a lot of people I took off blown shocks, so they feel amazing in comparison. I definitely like them more than the HD bilsteins I had on prior. But that's not saying much. Next weekend I'm putting on some new coilovers up front. That puts me 2 weeks out from an offroad test. (*I'm pairing them w/ 890s. i wonder if I shoulda went with 891s...but I figure someone will trade me if needed)

Valving (from toytec) is the firm (255/70). I believe they are 8.5" travel.
Alright well let me know what you think of them once you get to play with them a little more. That sounds like what I want to do with my rear end so I'm very interested in your opinion of their on and off road performance. The 255/70 valving is what Bilstein recommends for our 4Runners and the fact that ToyTec uses them must mean they are right. I think I'll end up with the 7100's in the front though because the valving Bilstein recommends for our 4Runners isn't available with the 5100's. Also how's the size of the reservoir on the 5100's? I can't tell from the pictures and I wouldn't want to get them if they won't be able to keep up with the front end. I really appreciate your help.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
I believe the 5150s are probably overkill for our applications if I recall correctly they're rated heavier....but ask Doug or Darrick over there and see what they say
On the Bilstein site it recommends the 255/70 valving for heavier applications with a light SUV. The only way to get the lighter valving is by going to a 10" 5150 or moving up to the 7100's. That's what I figured out as far as I can tell. I'll probably end up calling ToyTec on Monday to figure out how to go about what I want. Maybe I'll end up with 7100's all the way around? I like that I could rebuild and revalve them if I wanted.

Last edited by FutureSEAL16; 02-26-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

The can is only 4" long. I'm a touch concerned that if I like the damping onroad (i do), I won't like it offroad - at speed. I suppose you could always put a bump or a jounce to help w/ up travel if needed. But then you end up putting a 500$ solution on a 250$ problem.

Which I suppose it what it all comes down to. I enjoy long, fast dirt roads. but i'm never going to chase the 1000. (so these reservoir shocks are likely all I'll need)

BTW - you have a build page? I'd like more info on your rig

Last edited by Bennito; 02-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:21 PM

The can is only 4" long. I'm a touch concerned that if I like the damping onroad (i do), I won't like it offroad - at speed. I suppose you could always put a bump or a jounce to help w/ up travel if needed. But then you end up putting a 500$ solution on a 250$ problem.

Which I suppose it what it all comes down to. I enjoy long, fast dirt roads. but i'm never going to chase the 1000. (so these reservoir shocks are likely all I'll need)

BTW - you have a build page? I'd like more info on your rig
Alright well that's why I'm thinking I may end up going for 7100's. Let me know how they perform offroad though. I don't have a build thread. Sorry.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Weren't you trying to sell this, I saw it on craigslist. I thought you were moving to a LT Tacoma
Old 02-28-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by t4r505
Weren't you trying to sell this, I saw it on craigslist. I thought you were moving to a LT Tacoma
Yes but only because I had a great deal lined up with a buddy who was selling his. I helped him build it up from day 1 so I really loved it and he was gonna give me a great deal. I couldn't get my 4Runner sold quick enough though so I'll be sticking with 4Runners. I may still trade for a stock 3rd Gen plus some cash but only because I want to start a brand new build. I have some great ideas for the next time around.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by FutureSEAL16
Yes but only because I had a great deal lined up with a buddy who was selling his. I helped him build it up from day 1 so I really loved it and he was gonna give me a great deal. I couldn't get my 4Runner sold quick enough though so I'll be sticking with 4Runners. I may still trade for a stock 3rd Gen plus some cash but only because I want to start a brand new build. I have some great ideas for the next time around.
Oh yeah that's cool I was just wondering. I want to go LT. What suspension do you have now?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM

Oh yeah that's cool I was just wondering. I want to go LT. What suspension do you have now?
Just a plain old OME lift with Camburg UCA's. That's why I'm looking to upgrade. All I would need is shocks because I have the coils already. Some day I'll go to Camburg long travel to but right now it just won't fit in the budget.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by FutureSEAL16
Just a plain old OME lift with Camburg UCA's. That's why I'm looking to upgrade. All I would need is shocks because I have the coils already. Some day I'll go to Camburg long travel to but right now it just won't fit in the budget.
You said you would want to start new what would you do different
Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 AM

You said you would want to start new what would you do different
Well I probably wouldn't go so extreme with a roll cage again. If I did then I would build it around the dash and not make a whole new one. I'd do a different front bumper and an All-Pro rear bumper. Maybe a 4.0 V8 swap or at least a supercharger with the 3.4. I'd upgrade the suspension to 7100's with OME or Eibach coils. I would have to really think long and hard about whether or not I would want a roof mounted light rack again. I probably would do it the same way where it can be folded down and I'd do HID's in the light rack, on the bumper and for the headlights. I'd do full skids underneath. There's a lot more and I'm sure I could tell you exactly how I want everything down to the type of floor mats but it would take me forever to write it all.

I think I'd end up with something like what I have now but tweaked in different ways that would suit me better. You can always make something better the second time around. My 4Runner right now is built for racing besides the suspension. The roll cage is 100% race legal and I just don't need that anymore. The only reason for me selling it though is to free up some money for a new build. I've got so much put into this build that I can't start another without selling it.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Yeah I was really thinking about trading but since it would be a daily driver probably I think I would want the stock dash and a little cleaner. But good work anyway I be sure to post up your new setup when you do it.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM

Yeah I was really thinking about trading but since it would be a daily driver probably I think I would want the stock dash and a little cleaner. But good work anyway I be sure to post up your new setup when you do it.
I wish you would trade. I really want to start something new but I just can't afford to right now without getting rid of this first. The stock dash is what I'm looking for now too so I know what you mean. If you change your mind I'm always open to offers. I'll be sure to make a build thread with my next build up. Good luck with your build.

It just snowed all last night so it's time to head up to the mountains and make trails where everyone else is afraid to go. Probably gonna have to pull people out to cause they think they can follow my 4Runner and my buddies Titan but it never ends up well for them.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 AM

haha good luck

Quick Reply: Bilstein Resevoir Shocks