Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Billy going bigger...37's and another 3"'s

Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billy going bigger...37's and another 3"'s

Alright everyone-

My current setup is not enough. Just went out wheeling and found a killer mud hole, didn't phase the runner (like we didnt know this already ), and the 315's/35's are beginning to look small, as well as the rest of the rig. How can I gain a couple more inches out of the suspension??...do I go old school style like the early tacos and drop all the control arms down?? I am thinking 3 more inches of lift (the back will be a piece of cake), and some 37x12.5's. Also considering front and rear lockers to go with the stock center diff and an 8000lb winch that I will hide behind the front bumper. If anyone can help me here, that would be awesome...thanks for taking the time ya'll.

Billy
Old 03-11-2004, 08:16 PM

sorry...self-bump, someone on here has to have an idea or two...thanks again all.

Billy
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

The only way I see you going to 37's is to lower the diff (like retro fit a fabtech 6" kit or something) or SAS it. I say SAS it, all it takes is $, you'll make more.

But it is kind of weird when you get a new set of bigger tires and the seem so huge, then like a week later they seem smaller and then like a week later the seem normal again...it kinda sucks.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Just chop the IFS off and go solid axle. For the price to have brackets like the older stuff it seems like a SA would be much better off road and a more practical solution. Finding a front locker would be very easy then too.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:49 PM

Jim-

I hear ya loud and clear on the tires...it wasnt so long ago at all that 35's were ridiculously huge in my mind...my buddy had em on a chevy with a 6" kit.

Thanks to the both of ya. So, say I go solid axle, dana 44, dana 50????...i have no clue about this one. Also, what am I looking at price wise, and what other mods would I have to do to make this work??...thanks a ton all.

Billy
Old 03-11-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... a SAS'd 4th Gen. You'd be the pioneer on that for sure. I'd be willing to bet that you could probably follow the same route as a Taco. I imagine as long as you use the same steering setup and the transfer case is on the same side, everything else is just cutting and welding.

If you do it, document it for sure. Lots of people will be interested.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:14 PM

i would say go with the front range off road custom toyota housing. he builds housings to your needs and they aren't bad, like $1200 with the custom inner axles needed for your housing. then you just use toyota outers and birfields and you are set up. he can set the housing up with anything you want need as far as suspension. i think a 3 or 4 link sas with coilovers would just be bad!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:45 PM

Are there any 4th gens with an sas?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

For a SAS I would use a built D44 axle with chromoly axle shafts, or maybe a narrowed D60. The cost of the SAS will all depend on which route you take. Leaf springs will likely be the cheapest. If you want a more elaborate setup, a 3 or 4 like coilover setup would kick ass. At the same time, you may want to check on getting custom links in the back for more lift.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:46 PM

if all you're gonna do is mud holes, forget the lift. get a bigger engine and real mud tires.

maybe you outta say what you are building your truck to be?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

Bigger engine? Hes got the V8 in that thing. No need for a bigger one. A S/C would be nice though. Man I just keep thinking of ways to spend his money :pat:
Old 03-12-2004, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
and some 37x12.5's.
I think you'll regret that size, you might as well get 37x15.5's. I've seen them before on a Yota, and they look so mean

Just my $.02
Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
if all you're gonna do is mud holes, forget the lift. get a bigger engine and real mud tires.

maybe you outta say what you are building your truck to be?
You need flex in mud... for ruts.

Seriously, though... a solid axle does better than IFS in mud... well, the really deep stuff anyway. Because sometimes there are ruts deep underneath the water that are deeper on one side. Keeping the rig nice and level is better than having it tip to the side and slide all over the place, increasing chance for a rollover. Trust me... I'm from MS, the mud country. We have mud unlike anybody has ever seen.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:52 AM

Super cool rig now, going bigger will be wild! You must be wheeling the heck out of it to want to go bigger. Other than the mud hole how are some of the other things working out for every day type trails, What are you usual runs like - here in Flori-duh I would see tons of sand, mud, skinny pin striping trails or look for any off camber situation to play on. App and dept angle?, you getting any body damage from rocks or narrow trails? How about articulation - you hanging any tires in the air? Hows the balance I would love to see and RTI score. Get it stuck yet or have to yank anyone out? Always an ego booster. I know tons of questions - I built a hell of a rig out of my old truck and can't bring my self to do the same to my new baby. Yet still fighting the addiction to punch it out.

As for the winch. It looks like there is plenty of room in that front bumper (it's huge in there) just a matter of fabing up some mounts to fit the winch. It sticks out about 2 feet from the rad. Looks like you could weld in a reciever type hitch for the front and use a multi mount system but they would not fit the goal of hiding it in the front end.

Keep us posted - love to watch the progress.

Manfu
Old 03-12-2004, 06:22 AM

I'd pay to see you do the solid axle conversion.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:08 AM

SAS has begun...working out the legistics as we speak. Keep me posted if there is anything I am ignoring and/or forgetting to examine, etc. Thanks a ton guys...yeah, I like the idea of the 37x15.5's better too, just thought the 12.5's would be a little more function in the dirt...no rush there though. The pan hard bar has bee dropped and I need to extend my rear brake lines...is there anything else??

As far as the wheeling...I have sent that thing thru hell and back to test out my custom suspension components and the 35's...smooth and firm on the pavement, killer off-road...approach and departure angles are killer...I'll get some pics later to show ya my rig in action and what is possible...the bfg A/T's are a great all-terrain, hence the name, but really arent that good off road in my opinion...they get clogged up and dont clean out well at all. Stay tuned.

Billy

Oh yeah, the 4.7L still has plenty of power...if i unlock the center diff and send it to a 50/50 front/rear split, i can still get those 35's spinning on pavement...the blower is in the works.

Last edited by fourunnabilly; 03-12-2004 at 09:10 AM.