Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bike Rack????

Old 01-26-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike Rack????

Can you recommend a bike rack for my 2001 4runner, sr5.

( It has the factory installed roofrack) ??

What are the dimesnions?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:43 PM

check Yakima, they have adaptor clip for factory roof, i think it's called Mighty Mount. and you just buy the bike rack and put it on.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:04 PM

From experience, the best bike rack out is the Sportworks hitch mount.
I also love my Yakima hitchfork although I'm not sure if they make it anymore.

If you want a roof mount, I really like the Yakima Viper or Steelhead. Boa is good if youre on more of a budget.

Yakima has detailed fit guides for cars and trucks on their website and in catalogs.

I also recommend you buy a set of locks (get more than 2-like a 6 pack- so you can use the same key for all your locks when you add more Yak stuff).

I know Thule is good but I don't have any experience with it.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

I have the thule 889 velo vise (I think thats the model). This isnt the best pic of it, but its the only pic i could find with the racks on the truck. It attaches right to the factory racks. Its been a while but I think it only came with one tray and I had to add the second one to carry two bikes.

I got them from my local sports rack store (www.sportsrack.com) You can call or email them and they can tell you exactly what you need. Hope this helps
Old 01-27-2004, 11:10 PM

damn ur rig looks nice, good wax job!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sportedition
I have the thule 889 velo vise (I think thats the model). This isnt the best pic of it, but its the only pic i could find with the racks on the truck. It attaches right to the factory racks. Its been a while but I think it only came with one tray and I had to add the second one to carry two bikes.
I have a velovise as well. Its a decent forkmount rack. Be prepared for a disc-fork not to fit (my 2003 Marzocchi Z1 w/avid 6" mechanical didn't fit). There are adapters, but its another 45$ or so for a riser kit (plus another 15$ for a locking skewer).

If you go hitch mount, go all out and get the biggest, burliest, swing-out, locking hitch that you can. (I bought a low end 1.25" hitch mount rack from Rhode Gear with a C-shim. The rack flopped all over, tilt down function was a killer with bikes on it, and it didn't lock). However I've also knocked my bike off my roofmount (ouch). That's a downside of the roofmount, but they certainly are less likely to get eager/curious hands all over them.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 AM

If you have disc brakes, get a Yakima Viper. Great rail and will mount with mighty mounts right to your stock rails. They can be had pretty cheaply on Ebay.

I have a Taco now, so I'm getting one of these:

Thule truck bed rack
Old 01-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I'm ripping this off of another post that was here sometime last year. Maybe you'll want to go this way? Search items "bike" and "performance" and you'll find a thread titled "indoor rack" or something like that. Here's the original post:

Originally posted by BigGunna
I was in the market for a bike rack, but found them too expensive. I didn't want to spend $200 on a bike rack - I would rather spend that kind of money on upgrades! Anyhow, I got this idea while browsing through the Yakima catalog:

INSTALL
- Universal Bike Mount
- Sheet metal bolts w/washer (1 1/2" long)
I used a drill bit socket adapter and simply drilled the sheet metal bolts though the mounting holes of the universal bike mounts, and into the back of the seats. There is a sheet of metal behind the rear seats (at least in my '91 4R), so this works perfectly.

I purchased my universal bike mounts at Performance Bike - its on sale for $10 each right now (in store only, online is $15). Yakima makes one called the "Blockhead", Thule's is called the "Low Rider".

Notice that the bike mounts are installed at an angle. This gives the handle bars plenty of room when transporting two bikes so they don't get tied up.
I chose to place the bike mounts on the back of the rear seats instead of the rear truck bed so that I could utilize the flat cargo area and slide items in and out easily when not transporting any bikes. If you choose to mount on the truck bed, you should be able to transport three bikes. For extra security, I use a bungee cord to secure the rear bike frame or tire to the trucks tie rings.

I use a very large trash bag as a tarp and line the truck bed. I lay the tarp down before mounting the bikes to collect the dirt after a good ride. No mess!

Total cost: $25
Old 01-28-2004, 01:33 PM

I have the Yakima Copperheads they bolt on to the stock racks.... they work great ....
Old 01-28-2004, 05:37 PM

I have the Yakima rack. I prefer it over other styles. However, I feel that a hitch mount would give you better gas mileage. But for location, and pulling our popup, the bikes fit nicely on top. Plus I have room in the back for luggage.
Here are two photos of my rack.

Another
Attached Thumbnails Bike Rack????-bike.jpg  

Last edited by sgirt; 01-28-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:58 PM

i have a thule on my subaru and a yakima on my 4runner. both are great build quality. the yakima is a couple of years newer and seems to be a little better than the thule, but i don't know if that's because it's newer and improved. generally you'll get a better load rating if you attach the rack directly to the rain gutter or door frame than if you use the factory rack. but if you never plan on hauling more than bikes then the factory rack will be fine.

i wish i had pictures of my 4runner but alas, i have no camera. i have the yakima rack attached to the rain gutters. then i have the loadwarrier basket on top with a spare tire and then on the outside of the basket i attached the boa bike mounts. this way i can haul bikes without the tire getting in the way.

on my subaru i just use the standard velo vice from thule. it's a nice system but i feel that the bikes aren't held as stable as with the yakima. although the thule is easier/quicker to attach the bikes to than the yakima.

remember if you have a disc brake bike you'll need to get a special mount that can work with the disc brake.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
I'm ripping this off of another post that was here sometime last year. Maybe you'll want to go this way? Search items "bike" and "performance" and you'll find a thread titled "indoor rack" or something like that. Here's the original post:

Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 AM

i checked prices for bike racks and the yakima ended up being 350 where the thule came out to 145...both hold 2 bikes and mount to factory racks...is there a huge difference between the 2? thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 05:04 AM

Re: Bike Rack????

Originally posted by zevell
Can you recommend a bike rack for my 2001 4runner, sr5.

( It has the factory installed roofrack) ??

What are the dimesnions?
I dont know if you'd ne interested in this one, but for less than $100 it has worked great for me.

http://www.discounthitch.com/Product...ike_racks.html

NO delivery charges too, seeing that their is a local place here.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mummer43
That would be too messy for me. I prefer to keep the dirt outside.
Yeah, I here ya.
It's really handy for my truck though - I figured I'd post it in case any p/u owners where thinking about doing something similar.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by CLin9383
i checked prices for bike racks and the yakima ended up being 350 where the thule came out to 145...both hold 2 bikes and mount to factory racks...is there a huge difference between the 2? thanks
I think you figured something different between the two because I believe they are comparably priced across the board....could be wrong since I haven't checked in a long time but you can certainly get Yak for less than 350 if you are using factory rack.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:34 AM

anybody have pictures of the yakima mightmounts? these attach to the factory rack, right? thanks!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:53 AM

I got some Thule that was around $125 that plug into the hitch. I'm pleased.
The hitch is just so much eaiser IMHO.