Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BIG PROBLEM after replacing spark plugs

Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy BIG PROBLEM after replacing spark plugs

Hey everyone I'm new to yotateck and really glad I found it at this point! I have a 1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 3.4l 4WD and I just replaced all spark plugs this morning coming to find out that I installed the wrong one's. I bought the single end point needle type spark plugs when really I needed the dual needle things on the end I pulled out the old one's and they were dual's but I never noticed I had to have them. I installed everything right and put everything back together in the same spot just as it was when I drove the truck earlier this morning to go pick up the plugs. I started it and it wouldn't fire up the engine sounds like it's starting then it just shuts down. I made sure everything was right many times I have all spark plug wires in the right spot it just won't fire up the engine. I even put the old one's back in and still no start. Idk what to do =( I'm stranded. If I put the wrong spark plugs in first and started the truck would it of fried anything or messed anything up? should I just go buy the right dual needle plugs and install them and see what happens? or did I really mess sumthing up?? I'm really worried that I fried something. I really hope someone can help it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance, Michael.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Deep breath!
You've plugged everything back in that you had to unplug to get to the plugs?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM

spark plug question

though toyota strongly encourages the dual tip plugs, putting in another set of plugs would not burn anything up. sounds like u have another issue.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM

Yes everything is plugged back in to the right placed I'm sure
Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM

yeah that's what it said in the manual it calls for the dual plugs for best results but would most likely run on the singles
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
This is what the Denso plug you should use looks like.
Old on the left. New on the right.

Sounds to me like you just don't have something plugged back up correctly.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Something's not right. Maf plugged back in, vacuum lines back on, coils bolted back in place and wires in the right firing order??? I know you've already said it but...
Wires all in good shape, no boots got pulled loose from their wire or not seated all the way on?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
are the coils pluged back in? Is the maf plugged back in? Is the intake hooked back up? post some pictures and maybe we can see something you can't.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM

agreed with the others, sounds like something is un plugged. try completely unplugging everything and then reconnecting.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM

yes everything is back in order I'm sure I wen't threw it all many times today. Is my problem that I have to have the right plugs on the coil side? when I buy the right plugs tomorrow, that are in that picture shouldn't it start? I mean there is no other problem I'm sure my plug wires are all aright and even if one was messed up it still should start up it would just loose a cylinder or something and that's not the issue. maybe it won't start with the single needle plugs on the coil side
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

It should run ok with single electrode plugs. One of my 4Runners w/3.4 had them when we bought it and had been running like that for who knows how long. Bad/cracked plug maybe? Did you do anything else to it? Did you originally accidentally plug wires or plugs in the wrong place and blow a fuse (clutching straws).
Pics pics pics pics
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM

I don't think I blew a fuse but you never know I'm gonna try and fix it with new dual electrode plugs in the morning if that doesn't work then I'll post some pics. and I'm pretty sure all the plugs were okay they were brand new when I put them in.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM

on the boots do the end of them have to be touching the tip of the spark plug? should I loosen all the plugs to make sure that there is a connection to the boot? like what I'm saying is if I tightened the plugs to tight and there not even connection on the boot. not sure..
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey410
on the boots do the end of them have to be touching the tip of the spark plug? should I loosen all the plugs to make sure that there is a connection to the boot? like what I'm saying is if I tightened the plugs to tight and there not even connection on the boot. not sure..

The plugs have to be tightened correctly so that they are seated. The correct plugs will be the correct height and will make contact with the electrode in the boot if plug is screwed in and the boot is seated correctly.

Careful there! Those heads are soft aluminum and can easily be stripped if the plugs are over tightened. Tightening the plugs too tight will not make them "sink" down in the head. Once the plug gasket makes contact with the head, that establishes the height of the plug.

But do make sure your boots are pushed on all the way.

Ahh, tomorrow's a new day.

You could pull a plug, connect it in the boot, hold the metal part against the metal of the engine someplace away from the spark plug hole it came out of, have somebody crank the engine and look to see if there is a spark.

I'm in agreement with others who have questioned if everything got reconnected right. Your comment brings up another possibility, however unlikely...what if you got a set of plugs that were totally wrong and they actually did have a too short upper section. (They'd have to be, like, lawn mower plugs or something.) Then the scenario you described could happen....it could not be corrected by unscrewing the plugs, however.

For any engine with aluminum heads, I advise finding out the correct torque for the plugs and using a torque wrench...probably an "in-lb" torque wrench to tighten them. The correct torque is usually between 15 and 25 ft-lb which is below the range of a normal "ft-lb" torque wrench.

Last edited by Rich_O; 01-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
if you had a problem with the boots its not likely that all three on the passenger side would be failing. Even then the driver side would be firing. So, you either don't have spark completly (coils or ignitor not pluged in) or your maf isn't sending the signal to the COR relay to kick the fuel pump on.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM

alright thanks I'll start tomorrow by loosening the plugs for the 25th time and not tightening them so much just to make sure I have connection in the boot I did tighten those down pretty tight maybe I'm not getting any connection I'll keep you guys updated with pics tomorrow
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM

where is the ignitor located? and what does maf stand for? and also COR relay were is that at? sorry I'm a noob I been under the hood for the last 3 days I'm learning fast but this I wouldn't call a learning point just a pain in the ass!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey410
where is the ignitor located? and what does maf stand for? and also COR relay were is that at? sorry I'm a noob I been under the hood for the last 3 days I'm learning fast but this I wouldn't call a learning point just a pain in the ass!
ha ha. Those are the times when you learn the most!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM

haha yeah I guess your right.. I won't give up on this truck me and my dad share and both put money into it I been throwing out 100$ bills like nothing lately. but Toyota's are worth it to me got a lot of pride and respect for them this truck has got me threw some crazy stuff and it's also been beet the hell out of at times not too much but it's def held it's ground. I just put in a new water pump and timing belt 2 days ago it ran so clean and tuned after that now I thought I would change the plugs and I just get bad luck out of no were.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-03-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 PM

Just remember the mechanic's golden rule.

If something goes wrong, always look first at the thing that was touched last.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM after replacing spark plugs