Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bi-Xenon HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi-Xenon HID Conversion

After much headache and jb weld, i completed the Bi-Xenon HID Conversion on Shirley. Here is the link, hope you enjoy.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/740119/1
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Nice, what did you use for them? Any night shots?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Trippy!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM

Wonder how much brighter than stock that is? I, personally, would not get an HID kit for the 4Runner. The stock lights are good enough, and if I need more, some Hella's will do the job. I just can't justify spending all that $$, then if one of the bulbs burn out, that's another $50. Yikes.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Its much brighter than stock and this is one of those mods that I HAD to do. See my dad has the new land rover, and before that an Infinity FX, and an X5, and even before then he had a 5 series. So I would always envy him, now I have headlights that compare. My headlights always seemed decent, until I rode in his car, now its even.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Nice. I really want HID lights too. But I think I would settle for some really good bulbs. lol. I too, think Hella's will do the job. lol
Old 09-26-2006, 01:57 PM

nice, you gonna do a write up for it? on a side note, how much did it cost to put new leather on your seats? im assuming you did the whole truck?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
Wonder how much brighter than stock that is? I, personally, would not get an HID kit for the 4Runner. The stock lights are good enough, and if I need more, some Hella's will do the job. I just can't justify spending all that $$, then if one of the bulbs burn out, that's another $50. Yikes.
On the other hand, the bulbs last 3000 hours. That's nearly ten times longer than, say, a Sylvania Silverstar. Additionally, a HID bulb draws almost half the wattage and produces nearly twice the lumens. And last but not least, HID is less fatiguing to the eyes over time.

As for the $$$ part, well...that's what's fun about modifying your rig. Modding isn't cheap. But it sure is cool to see what everyone can do with their $$$ on their rig.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 PM

I dont remember EXACT prices on the leather, but I installed it all myself which Im sure saved me a bunch. I orthered it from a site online, I jus googled for auto leather reupholstery. All of the leather is actually held together by zip ties, as I did not have hog ring pliers... Im gonna go turn my lights on right now as a matter of fact and just look at them, Ive been doing that a lot... As for the Hellas... Im sure that they are amazing lights, but the output of the projectors is unbelievable, If everyone hasnt already done so... check out Hidplanet.com... their forum actually guided me through a bunch of stuff. There you will understand why I wanted these lights, I only spent 200.00, ebay is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
On the other hand, the bulbs last 3000 hours. That's nearly ten times longer than, say, a Sylvania Silverstar. Additionally, a HID bulb draws almost half the wattage and produces nearly twice the lumens. And last but not least, HID is less fatiguing to the eyes over time.

As for the $$$ part, well...that's what's fun about modifying your rig. Modding isn't cheap. But it sure is cool to see what everyone can do with their $$$ on their rig.
I wasn't putting his mod down at all. Just giving my opinion. I had HID's on my other cars, and loved them.

I know the benefits of HID's. I wasn't debating that. But, is it really going to make a big difference if a pair of bulbs draw 30 watts or 60 watts? Extra brightness does help, but my eyes have never been bothered by regular halogen bulbs.

Also, I know a few of my friends that have had their HID bulbs go out within 50,000 miles. I don't know how that translates in hours, but that's not a lot of burn time. On all of my non-HID cars, the original OEM's lasted 100k+ miles.

I'm not here to debate the cost-effectiveness of this "mod," because it's almost purely cosmetic and you can't put that into a bang for buck format. Even though $200 is not a lot of money, I personally would have put that elsewhere. Also, to do a HID conversion properly, it'll take more than a plug-n-play kit. Correct housing, ballast, etc. all are needed so that you get the best light output and at the same time, don't blind the other motorists.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
I wasn't putting his mod down at all. Just giving my opinion. I had HID's on my other cars, and loved them.

I know the benefits of HID's. I wasn't debating that. But, is it really going to make a big difference if a pair of bulbs draw 30 watts or 60 watts? Extra brightness does help, but my eyes have never been bothered by regular halogen bulbs.

Also, I know a few of my friends that have had their HID bulbs go out within 50,000 miles. I don't know how that translates in hours, but that's not a lot of burn time. On all of my non-HID cars, the original OEM's lasted 100k+ miles.

I'm not here to debate the cost-effectiveness of this "mod," because it's almost purely cosmetic and you can't put that into a bang for buck format. Even though $200 is not a lot of money, I personally would have put that elsewhere. Also, to do a HID conversion properly, it'll take more than a plug-n-play kit. Correct housing, ballast, etc. all are needed so that you get the best light output and at the same time, don't blind the other motorists.
To do the conversion correctly on our 4Runners, all you have to do is get the '99-up headlight housings with the clear lense and retrofit projectors in them. Then just add standard HID bulbs and wire up the ballasts.

Pretty simple and it is just like an OEM set up and if aimed correctly wont blind oncoming vehicles.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 914runner
To do the conversion correctly on our 4Runners, all you have to do is get the '99-up headlight housings with the clear lense and retrofit projectors in them. Then just add standard HID bulbs and wire up the ballasts.

Pretty simple and it is just like an OEM set up and if aimed correctly wont blind oncoming vehicles.
It is just like OEM if done correctly and if you use OEM parts. I have OEM BMW 3 series projectors (a.k.a. E46), OEM Matsu(sheet)a Ballasts (Found in a lot of Japanese vechicles with H.I.D's), and OEM Philips 4300k bulbs.

Also, Jorge, it's awesome to see another 4Runner with the Bi-xenons... IMO every vehicle should come stock with HID Projectors. I'm glad you did it right and didn't use a drop in kit! AWESOME!

Last edited by Keggo; 09-27-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM

I appreciate all the kind comments, it really was scary for me but I couldnt resist, I love the output and Its a treat everytime I turn on the lamps.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you link us to your thread for this mod on hidplanet?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks good noticed you also changed the lights behide the grill