Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

beware , 210 flex-a-lite owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beware , 210 flex-a-lite owners

the flex-a-lite 210 unit i installed in feb 2003 has melted the 30 amp fuse and the fuse holder together, i removed the broken fuse and the fan still was running because the contacts where fuse together. this is the fuse holder that came with the kit. i put my hand around the power wire while the fan was running and the wire was very hot, alot of heat caused by 20 amp draw. 210 flex-a-lite been running fine for 6 months no problems, until yesterday. 10 amp gauge fuse blew and then ac stop working, i replace 10 amp gauge fuse and it blew again. i also replace the flex-a-lite 30amp fuse holder and fuse, 10 amp gauge fuse blew again and ac stop again. i checked all my wireing for shorts found none. also 10 amp gauge fuse is connected to the charging, so when 10 amp gauge blows alterntor will not work also. i have not been working on the 4 runner for a while so i new i did not cause this problem. i checked all the rest of the charging system fuses and fusible links and relays, every thing checks out ok, including alternator. i removed the 210 flex-a-lite fans and the thermostat controls, i install my stock belt driven fan and shroud and every thing working again, alternator working again, gauges are working and ac is working, and no fuse blowing. i think the flex-a-lite thermostat went bad. i liked the extra power i was getting with electric fans , but now am back to stock fans, i need a reliable truck so will stick with the stock belt driven fans. :pat:
Old 08-17-2003, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi;

I'm a bit confused here... You talk of a 30 amp holder, a 20 amp draw, and blowing a 10 amp fuse.

My 210's have been fine, and I can't really go outside right now to check, but I think the fuse in the holder is a 30 amp fuse. If you replace it with a 10 amp fuse, then you should expect it to blow.

Past that, my power lead to the fan gets warm as well when the fans are running, and I agree that Flex-a-Lite should have provided a larger gauge wire for the leads. But I haven't blown a fuse or had any issues like the fuse holder melting down.

I know you're back to the stock fan now, but where did you have the wiring routed? Was it possibly really close to a major heat source? The heat I get on my power lead is no where near enough to cause the fuse holder to meltdown.

Sorry for your troubles.

Mark
Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

flex-a-lite 210

wanna sell the fan to me?
Old 08-17-2003, 01:05 PM

the fuse holder was located right next the battery not close to any heat , the fuse for the electric fans was a 30amp fuse that came with the kit, what happen was tha fuse for the instrument gauges , water temp,fuel and tach stop working, also ac stop working and alternator stop working because the gauges are part of charging system, if the gauge fuse blows (10amp) the charging system stops working. i had the trigger wire from the flex-a-lite thermostat connected to the ac 12 volts compressor that suppose to kick in the eletric fans any time you turn on the ac, that was not working any more (i checked my connection all good) after i removed the flex-a-lite thermostat, and install my stock fans, i replace 10 amp gauge fuse( which blew 3 times) and is located on the lower left kick panel. after that every thing work fine, no more gauge fuse blowing, and ac is working fine, that why i think the flex-a-lite thermostat went bad, and yes i had a 30amp inline fuse for the electric fans.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar problem when I installed my FLX 165 on my 2nd Gen this week.

I had the switched lead hooked up to a 12v switched lead (can't remember which) and the AC wire from the fan connected to the black with white wire going to the AC condensor.

It worked OK at first, then it seemed to be kicking the fan off and on. Then I drove it for a while. Everything seemed OK. The next day, I start it up with the AC on, no problem. I then start messing with the thermostat control. Go inside the rig to see the temp gauge - no AC. Blew the AC fuse. This is located up above the ECU, so you have to remove the glovebox and part of the dash on the passemger side to get to it. I unhooked the wire from the fan, put in a new fuse - wa-la - I have AC.

I don't think the single wire going directly to the AC condensor is the right wire. I think it needs to be triggered on the other side of the AC relay. I need to review my wiring diagram and see where this is and which wire is getting 12v to activate the relay. This may have been your problem.

I'll keep you all posted...
Old 08-17-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boss Hog;

Okay, NOW I understand what's happening. Sorry for not getting it the first time around.

Basically it sounds like the trigger circuit for the A/C compressor is drawing just enough (at least in surge) to exceed the rating of the A/C fuse. I may not have had any trouble becuase I chose not to hook up that option.

Again, I understand that you've went back to the mechanical fans, but it sounds like dropping a 15amp fuse in there would have made things "okay". But you still may have had the heat issue.

If you had enough heat to melt that connector, then I wonder if you didn't have an intermittent short that finally just fused itself and trashed the connector.

Weird.

Bummer man.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced the fuse holder from flex a lite it was a p.o.s. I have not had a problem with the fans or controls . I mounted the control box high next to the battery since it did not appear to be a sealed water proof unit.I assume that your control box is FUBAR . may be a simple relay setup will work or another control box from flex.
just my .02
Old 08-17-2003, 10:42 PM

Thumbs down

I can vouch for the fuse holder issue. My fans have been on for about 7 months and just this past week, the fans stopped working. When I went to check the control box, the 30amp inline fuse, that was provided with the fans, was melted into the holder. I replaced the fuse/holder, but was still not getting power to the fan motors.

I ordered a replacement control box from Summit Racing ($54). Hopefully, nothing else died on the fans

Last edited by trangk; 08-17-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like everyone with problems is running the AC switch option. My question is: Why?

I live in Phoenix, where the average temp in July was 108. I have never had the AC switch hooked up to the FLX fans, past or present vehicles.

Also, have you guys contacted Flex-a-lite? They were very helpful when I called them, and seemed very willing to help me with the wiring. That said, why not call and see if they will help you out?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:20 PM

mark, i did pop in a 15 amp gauge fuse instead of the 10amp fuse, it did not blow the fuse this time but the ac compressor would shut of and then wait to long to kick back in,and it would not cool, also fans would not kick in when compressor started.