Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Better ride with no fr swaybar

Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better ride with no fr swaybar

I long ago removed my rear swaybar, and recently unhooked the front for a little messing around, has anyone noticed that the street ride is better without it hooked up? the whole truck would shake and twitch over bumps, now it kinda floats (term used loosely) over bumps and doesnt shake the whole truck. It is correctly aligned too. it does lean lot in corners, but i just slow down. no swaying on the highway or any other crazy attributes, except if i turn sharp and gun it, i can get the inside front tire off the ground, and it will pull a tire off the ground if i hit a driveway entrance with more speed than i really need. its kinda fun really.

anyone else notice this or have anyhting to add?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

You gotta be smoking crack to say it performs better. LOL theres a reason why they put it there along with aftermarket ones that are thicker. Try swerving away a sudden braking from a car ahead see how your truck performs.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

I pulled the front wheel off the ground with the rear disconnected...never noticed it with the front dicso'd.

Kind of scarry if you ask me.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Using the frame as a torsion bar doesn't excite me.... but then again, I'm not an extreme off-roader kind of guy.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

My rear seemed to sway a TON on the highway with the rear disco'd. Didn't feel safe at all.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Unless you're only using it for offroad i wouldnt disconnect it. It might feel better when you're in control....see what happens when you're out of control though.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Maj

I can believe that the ride would be improved since the suspension is truly independent without the bar connecting the left and right suspension components. Cornering is an entirely different matter. Since articulation on the street is not an issue, why not do yourself (and your passengers) a favor and leave it hooked up? I'm thinkin' I read somewhere that rollovers are the #1 cause of fatalities in SUVs.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

it does ride less bumpy, i drove around FLint town for a few days that disco'ed front, highway scared the crap outta me, and then in a 40ish mph, had to swerve around a car that had to stop from going through a HUGE pothole, and felt like i was going to lose it...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 PM

So you are trying to say that thousands of Toyota engineers in Japan and America don't know what they are doing? What happens when a kid chases his ball out into the steet?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
You gotta be smoking crack to say it performs better. LOL theres a reason why they put it there along with aftermarket ones that are thicker. Try swerving away a sudden braking from a car ahead see how your truck performs.
Ditto that.

My new Addco just paid for itself today when some a-hole in a Tundra (better not be someone from this board) decided at the last second they wanted Santa Fe Drive. Rather than leaning and leisurely finding the other lane, the 4Runner stayed flat and leaped into the other lane. All four tires remained planted, the truck remained composed, and no other correction was necessary. A healthy "you're #1" was issued to the Tundra driver along with an adequate serving of Freeway Blasters.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 PM

ok, flame on... I* have not noticed any of these issues, I dont plan to leave it unhooked, its raining today and Im lazy... I know how the truck acts in a panic situation, I bent the rear swaybar avoiding an accident.

I have wheel spacers, I dont now if that accounts for anything....
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM

I am just giving you a hard time, I am not one to talk... I broke my front sway bar links on both sides and didn't even notice for two months.

Last edited by mpavolka; 01-31-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Yeah, today I broke off the brackets that hold the rear swaybar on the axle (long story) but I noticed it dramatically on the ride home. I definalty wouldn't be on the highway without a rear sway bar.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What the hell?!

I have been running w/o either swaybars for over a year, have done thousands of miles of driving, and have never had any problems. And I got 8" of lift on 35's... ?!??! I dont get it.

I guess its all relative.

Im going to reconnect the fronts soon. I have to get new brackets made since both of mine are cracked.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM

its deffinetly rides better because it lets the suspen cycle fully over a bump...but it wont handle better
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KyleT
ok, flame on... I* have not noticed any of these issues, I dont plan to leave it unhooked, its raining today and Im lazy... I know how the truck acts in a panic situation, I bent the rear swaybar avoiding an accident.

I have wheel spacers, I dont now if that accounts for anything....

Kyle let me challenge you to some autocrossing. Will see who finishes first without flipping there trucks.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If you happen to have your torsion bars fully cranked, as do I, you shouldn't notice any body roll. Thus, I've notice no sudden appearence of extra axle travel offroad. Said differently, my truck couldn't really tell if it was better with or without. No stock bar in rear, can't say I need that either.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM

i had my front disconnected on the pass side for a few weeks waiting on a new link, i didnt notice much of a diff but i deff never tested it with sharp turns n what not
Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MudHippy
If you happen to have your torsion bars fully cranked, as do I, you shouldn't notice any body roll. Thus, I've notice no sudden appearence of extra axle travel offroad. Said differently, my truck couldn't really tell if it was better with or without. No stock bar in rear, can't say I need that either.
3rd gens do not have torsion bars, we have coils and shocks.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by kevin444
Kyle let me challenge you to some autocrossing. Will see who finishes first without flipping there trucks.
i autox'ed the crap out of my last car, a miata, so...

and im sure that it would flip about as fast no matter what swaybars are on it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better ride with no fr swaybar