YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Best way to drain gas / fuel tank

Hi, My 2000 4Runner has been sitting in the driveway w/ a 1/2 tank of gas since crashing into a tree. I am about to finally get it back on the road, but would rather drain the old fuel out 1st. What is the best way? Should I put direct power to the pump and let it slowly drain? Do we have a drain plug just like the earlier yr 4Runners? I really would not want to drop the skid pan or tank for this.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
totally a bro
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to vital22re
how long has it sat?
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TOY View Post
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I NEVER have problems getting my crank off....
.....not sure why so many people have problems.
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Possibly end your existance for a dollar?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

It has been sitting in my driveway since December of 2010.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some of the big box do it yourself stores like Lowes sell a siphon tube with a check valve. Makes siphoning gas a breeze. Usually located in the automotive section of the store. It will get most of the gas save for maybe a gallon or two.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

My 93 4Runner was parked for 9 months, and the fuel just did not smell right. I opened the fuel tank inspection port under the passenger side rear seat, removed the fuel pump pressure line, inserted a piece of 10 foot vacuum hose (tight fitting) on the end of it, put the other end in a 5 gallon gas can and jumped the fuel pump from the battery. It took about 6 minutes for it to finish. Then I put Stabil into the tank to treat the remainder of the gas at the bottom, filled up the tank and added SeaFoam. Changed the fuel filter, and purged the fuel rail. Started right up.
I do not know for sure that you have an inspection port on your 2000 series, maybe someone else can verify this.
1993 Runner 4X 3VZE 5spd 189k+ Fire rebuild money pit!
Download the FSM here: http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I was thinking about unbolting the fuel pump assembly from inside the SUV and pump it out w/ a pump. However, would rather just jump the pump w/ power and drain into a gas can....or 3...lol
The 4Runner does start but runs very rough. I am missing the EVAP system @ the moment, due to the fact that it was crushed in the accident. I did buy another EVAP system from this forum and will install it to see if it runs better. I would just feel alot better draining the old (more than likely varnished) gas and starting fresh. I know the older 4Runners had a drain plug, making the draining process a breeze. Not sure if the 3rd Gen 4Runners have the same luxury.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
totally a bro
Staff

fyi.. a year is not long enough to do any real damage. I drove a nissan sentra home from my shop that sat for 5 years with a bad motor. Replaced the motor, bump started the fuel pump and drove it home. Throw some fresh gas into it and drive it.
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Yes, should be good after 8-9 months unless there was a lot of water in it or something. But there is likely a drain plug in the tank, hidden by the skid plate. My '85 has a drain plug, towards the rear of the tank.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

mwc0404
my 99 4rnr recently sat for about a year while i rebuilt the front end, when it was together enough to drive i added 5 gallons of fresh gas and started it right up, plus the 10% ethanol in gas these days is supposed to somewhat act as a fuel stabilizer when its stored.

Upcoming Mods:Deckplate | ISR | Lift- 2.5 front, 3.5 rear | 35s And alot more!

"Build it don't Buy it!"
4X4 4EVER
! YOTATECH !
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

My 99 Tacoma does not have a drain plug on the gas tank. I'm inclined to think the 3rd gen 4Runners don't, either.

My 99 Tacoma Single Cab build. Now on full width Toyota axles. SAS Thread
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
totally a bro
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
My 99 Tacoma does not have a drain plug on the gas tank. I'm inclined to think the 3rd gen 4Runners don't, either.

They did away with the drains as people just used them to steal gas.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Quote:
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

No Drain plug on your tank.

There is a acess panel under your rear driver's side seat. Don't need to use it.

Use your fuel pump to pump some of the fuel out into a container, then fill up the rest with fresh juice. Then headover to your friendly neighborhood autozone and get a fuel filter once you get rid of the not so good petrol.
Suspension-Sway-a-way 2.5 coilovers and camburg uniball uppers, gusseted spindles, strapped, Cruiser springs and heim'd links in rear.Tires and wows-35x12.50 Goodyear MTR's on 15x8 black steels, cut fenders and cut back firewall.
Misc-spool in rear, Cobra Cb, CO2 tank, Bud Bulit Skids, K&N intake, flowmaster exhaust. Power Steering Cooler, 140 amp alt, 8K winch, Superior axles, aluminum fuel cell.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

prometheusaj
my votes for siphoning out what you can then added to fuel stabil and some fresh gas from a gas station that sees lots of trafic so its fairly fresh but you shouldnt have to much of a problem with just adding some fuel stabil and some fresh gas

i had a silverado that sat for 9 months in my drive way had a few problems and i had my toy so didnt get around to them forever anyway had half a tank of gas i added some fuel stabil then went to my favorite shell station right off the highway and toped it off with some premium it ran like hell till the stabil gas made its way through the lines but ran fine made sure to go to a quarter tank added some fresh gas again and another bootle of fuel stabil no problems with it

u probaly could get alway with just doing that but if you can drain what you can
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
FormerVendor

Another vote for Stabil and top it off with some clean gas.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Jeffery Evans Jr.
Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4jeffyota
screw driver and a hammer seems to work very well

I'd rather make it than buy it.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I had a buddy that was a mechanic in the army. When the gas tanks in the hummers would get a bullet through them they would just but a screw in them with some sealant that was bigger than the hole. Good way to make your own drain plug.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
I had a buddy that was a mechanic in the army. When the gas tanks in the hummers would get a bullet through them they would just but a screw in them with some sealant that was bigger than the hole. Good way to make your own drain plug.
Love that!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1985, 2000, 4runner, 4x4, drain, draing, filter, fuel, gas, pickup, plate, skid, tacoma, tank, toyota