Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 03:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

*** Best Shock Absorber 3G 4R? ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*** Best Shock Absorber 3G 4R? ***

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm in the market for some new shock absorbers. One of my rear ones let go on me last week.

I have been looking at Bilstien primarily (as thats what comes on TRD's) but am open to something else. I'm not really looking to break the bank on it right now.

Experiences and supplier/retailer recco's are helpful.

Thanks!
nah2323
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Bilsteins and love them.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Bilsteins HD all around for me as well...They are really nice...If they ever wear out,will replace with same!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 AM

I was in the same spot as you, looking for afforable/ good quality shocks. After much research I, and my wallet decided to go with the Bilstiens (yellow). LOVE THEM!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM

The best shock abosorbers are made by the same company that makes the best springs, who also makes the best tires, and the best engine oil.

Actually, that company doesn't exist. Neither do "best shock absorbers".

You need to be more specific in what you'll be using your 4Runner for. Then, maybe people can point you in the right direction. (on-road, off-road, 50/50, rocks, dunes, etc.)
Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
You need to be more specific in what you'll be using your 4Runner for. Then, maybe people can point you in the right direction. (on-road, off-road, 50/50, rocks, dunes, etc.)
True point.

I like the Bilsteins, they are a great all around shock. Sure, there are probably better "application specific shocks" (high speed desert racing, etc) but they feel good on road and off.

P.S. IF the Bilsteins wear out, they are guaranteed for life.

Last edited by Gerdo; 02-12-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

The best shock abosorbers are made by the same company that makes the best springs, who also makes the best tires, and the best engine oil.

Actually, that company doesn't exist. Neither do "best shock absorbers".

Well thanks for that! I know there are uber shocks and stuff. I think when anyone says the best bang for the buck, they are talking all around shocks. I know from my experience in the wicked custom stuff, the options become very limited, sometimes to two or three manufacturers. Furthermore, I said I wasn't looking to "break the bank" on the vehicle. That right there should give the impression of everyday equipment. Anyone not looking to break the bank usually isn't building a caged out rock crawler. i'm sorry to sound like I'm flaming you, but rather than start your post with a sarcastic remark, you could have shortened both of our reply times with "What do you drive on primarily?"

Eitherway, thanks. Most of you figured out what I was asking with me going into extreme detail..

Bilsteins it is.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Dude, learn to take a joke. It's usually noted by a smilie, like the one in my post.

Nobody is here to decipher your post. I don't know of a single person that doesn't want the best bang for buck or on a limited budget on whatever they're building. That includes daily drivers, trail rigs, or what ever. Again, be clear in your question.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Don't waste your time/money on Monroes. I had them and hated them. They are supple but if you hit a bump on a turn it felt like the 4runner wanted to flip.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM

If you like how it drove then don't do Bilsteins (HD).
The cheapest replacement is OEM from toyota. Another well recommended is the Tokico Trekmasters (around $200 for all four, ~$100 for the rears). Slightly firmer than stock but not as firm as the Bils. I had the HD Bils, great when loaded and better control but the ride took a hit (my wife hated it). I put on Trekmasters instead. Still better control than stock but a bit easier on ruts and bumps than the Bils (the 4runner is never going to ride like a car though).
Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
If you like how it drove then don't do Bilsteins (HD).
The cheapest replacement is OEM from toyota. Another well recommended is the Tokico Trekmasters (around $200 for all four, ~$100 for the rears). Slightly firmer than stock but not as firm as the Bils. I had the HD Bils, great when loaded and better control but the ride took a hit (my wife hated it). I put on Trekmasters instead. Still better control than stock but a bit easier on ruts and bumps than the Bils (the 4runner is never going to ride like a car though).

I have the Bilstein HDs on my 97 and they are nice but a little stiff for a daily driver. My roommate needed new shocks for his 98 which he drives down logging roads and tow's 4 wheelers with everyday so I suggested the Tokicos. He loves them and I wish I had them... They provide good performance but are not as harsh as the Billys.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Highly recommend the Edelbrock IAS shocks--i think that is the right acronym.

Way better than stock. They have the same firmness as a Bilstien--they are just more progressive.

BTW--not brake the bank is open to interpretation--they are ~100$ a pop. They rock though
Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks all for the input.

I'm not sure which I'm going to go with. I love my 4R, but sometimes I think the ride is a little harsh, but that could be because I am spoiled in my BMW. Also if the shock has been on its way out, i think it would make a harsher ride which fills my most recent memory of driving it. I have 5 vehicles, so I don't always notice the differences immediately. A car may sit for a few days to two weeks before I'll move it again.

Has anyone heard about the KYBs? I had KYBs on an old subaru of mine and they were nice. But I do like the reliability of the bilsteins.

I do mostly paved stuff with my 4R, however I do LOVE flexing my 4R's muscles in the snow/dirt/rocks once in a while. It's also been the family designated ski vehicle because it goes anywhere. Come springtime, I'm going to show my girl why yota's are better than jeeps.

Thanks all!
cackalak too.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Something to look at while you are thinking shocks. The rear of my 4runner had sagged so much that the jounce bumpers (the rubber cones inside the rear coils) were sitting about 1/4" off the spring perch, with on weight in the vehicle. So every bump they would hit and cause a harsh ride. The fronts were no where near as bad but I could see where the bumpstops have hit the lower control arms.

I replaced all the coils but reused the same shocks and the ride was much better.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by nah2323
Thanks all for the input.

I'm not sure which I'm going to go with. I love my 4R, but sometimes I think the ride is a little harsh, but that could be because I am spoiled in my BMW. Also if the shock has been on its way out, i think it would make a harsher ride which fills my most recent memory of driving it. I have 5 vehicles, so I don't always notice the differences immediately. A car may sit for a few days to two weeks before I'll move it again.

Has anyone heard about the KYBs? I had KYBs on an old subaru of mine and they were nice. But I do like the reliability of the bilsteins.

I do mostly paved stuff with my 4R, however I do LOVE flexing my 4R's muscles in the snow/dirt/rocks once in a while. It's also been the family designated ski vehicle because it goes anywhere. Come springtime, I'm going to show my girl why yota's are better than jeeps.

Thanks all!
cackalak too.
If you think your current ride is harsh, then you probably need new springs as well as shocks. New shocks won't help much if you're bouncing off the bump stops.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 AM
4rx

i like the tokico trekmasters(green)
Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Big fan of Old Man Emu !!!Suprised noone said anything about them?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 AM

I have used almost all those listed above--and the Edelbrocks are a great shock.

They firm up when on rough terrain, prevent excess roll and are soft when just crusing
Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 PM

I've personally used Rancho, Monroe and Tokico's in the past. I'd never buy the Rancho's or Monroe's again, but the Tokico's were a decent shock. About 6 months ago, I went with the OME N91SC comfort valved shocks with the OME 882 coils up front. The OME's are the best shocks I've used hands down. A little expensive at $110 a pop, but well worth it in my opinion. I'm still running Rancho RS5000's in the rear and the difference between them and the OME's up front is night and day. When the rears are shot, I'll be buying OME's comfort valved shocks for the rear as well, no questions asked.

I vote OME!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

hross14,

which edelbrock shock model are you using? i checked the edelbrock website but there was none listed for the 3rd gen.
they have the tacoma shocks but are not IAS shocks

Thanks!

edit. i've used the RS9000, OME N91S, and the TRD Tokico shocks. i love the TRD Tokico. the ome had a tendency to jump over bumps and bridge approaches and bouncy on many multi-span bridges.

Last edited by KZN185W; 02-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.