Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Benefits to a deckplate mod.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did search, I saw Bob's thing. I dont understand what "2" screws has is talking about. And the clamp. Why dont you guys realize that someone had to teach you, someone has to teach me. SOrry if I am a n00b, I dont want to mess up. Freakin deal, swallow your pride, because sooner or later you wont be able to drive because you and your ego wont fit in your car.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 AM

Just take a look at it, its only an airbox and you should not have any difficulties with this if you intend to also do the deckplate modification. You wont have any problems as it is easier than you think. We are telling you to search so you take the information here and try and figure out the small things on your own. actually just bring it to a jiffy lube and get them to do it for you.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 AM

cmon now...

Originally Posted by BYAHnate
I did search, I saw Bob's thing. I dont understand what "2" screws has is talking about. And the clamp. Why dont you guys realize that someone had to teach you, someone has to teach me. SOrry if I am a n00b, I dont want to mess up. Freakin deal, swallow your pride, because sooner or later you wont be able to drive because you and your ego wont fit in your car.
Big difference between Teaching, spoon feeding and someone tying the bib for you, doing the feeding and changing your diaper.

At some point, you are going to have to turn a few bolts, undo a few clamps and see what is going on. That is not his pride you are fighting with - just your fear. get over it and give it a try. You have 1000% more resources available to you today than others had 10 and 20 and 30 years ago and they still managed.

Good Luck
George
Old 03-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Look noob... you need to reconsider your approach to this. If you demonstrate that you have done some reading and thinking, people will react more favorably. But by having a chip on your shoulder and mouthing off to people who have been successful members of this forum for years, all you are accomplishing is to get your posts reported so the mods are paying attention to your thread.

The deckplate is a simple and well documented mod. There are dozens of write ups on the net with varying levels of detail. I know, because I posted one of the first ones back in 2001, (http://www.wattora.com/mods/deckplate) and I have read many since then. By your tone, it makes it sound like you can't even be bothered to help yourself by reading up on the subject. No one wants to help someone like that.

So, check your own ego, show us you are willing to meet us half way and understand that no one woke up this morning hoping they were going to get to spoon feed you. Many will help willingly, but not while you are throwing tantrums like a three year old.

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

That might be a bit extreme...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM

noob

The tech write up is easy to follow. It doesnt take long. Go out to your 4runner and look! I did the isr and the deckplate mod in like 30 minutes! It sounds like a pissed off bumble bee now! Have fun!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

You know, if you don't like the attitude here at YT, you could always ask about the deckplate over at Pirate....

(Just kidding...don't do that).

I just reiterate what's been already said. Some of the best writeups about the deckplate are here at YT. Print them out, grab your tools and go wrench your junk. Enjoy your new 6 hp, and louder intake.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

My parents are Nazis on my car, and I have to be certain 100% on everything. My mom wont even let me do it because she thinks Ill destroy my airbox be putting a hjoel in it. IDEK. My mom wont let me.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My parents are Nazis on my car, and I have to be certain 100% on everything. My mom wont even let me do it because she thinks Ill destroy my airbox be putting a hjoel in it. IDEK. My mom wont let me.
What she doesn't know about, doesn't hurt her
Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

Shed kill me.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Let me get this straight. She's gonna let you put sliders and bigger coils on your Runner, presumably so that you can take it off road, but she won't let you put a deck plate in the air box? Uh... ok. Anyway, good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just say to her "Come on mom let me do this little mod, it'll save us gas" This is true, it will save you gas IF you keep your foot out of it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 AM

You can just open up or take the lid off the airbox. I am wondering if this is noisier though...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
You can just open up or take the lid off the airbox. I am wondering if this is noisier though...
Doesn't work quite as well, but it may keep his mom at bay.

The issue with just opening the lid is that the lid is an integral part of keeping a tight seal on the air filter to the back of the air box. If you pop the lid, you're looking at a path for dirt and stuff to get into the intake.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Doesn't work quite as well, but it may keep his mom at bay.

The issue with just opening the lid is that the lid is an integral part of keeping a tight seal on the air filter to the back of the air box. If you pop the lid, you're looking at a path for dirt and stuff to get into the intake.
X2, IMO it's a much better idea to keep the lid closed to make sure you have a tight seal around the filter.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM

who owns, or maybe who PAYS for your truck and insurance? you have to listen to your parents unless you paid for it then dont tell them till after you complete it. to me it almost sounds like you dont have the mechanical ability to do this not to be mean but if you are having trouble figuring which bolt needs to be removed it may become a challange to get ti back together. i know its cliche to say search, but at least read posts and see what others are discussing. i am deffinatly not trying to flame you but i cant write this with out looking like a dick.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Banned

IDK, Im gonna keep working on her.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

IDK, Im gonna keep working on her.

You could print up the write-ups, and the results and show her that not only is it not difficult to do, there is actual gain to doing it (provided you do it right). In a sense, gather your information, and make your case.

Sometimes, I have to do that with my wife when I want to mod something...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Also for the time being just open the airbox lid so you can get a rough idea of what it will sound like..Some do not like it after they do it. To keep the seal, just get a small 1 inch c clamp and tighten to hold the filer to the back of the airbox...yes, ghetto, but it works and is very reversible in 30 seconds.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:20 PM

Don't tell her about the extra power, just say "look, this little hole here will let more air into the engine, allowing it to run more efficiently, and thereby saving gas. I'm doing this to save me money because, you know, gas prices are going to continue to rise, and I want to save up some money for college (mom's love that line) I'm doing this mod to help my future."

Quick Reply: Benefits to a deckplate mod.