Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Belt Squeaks at low RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt Squeaks at low RPM's

Hello again, I went to work this morning with a squeaky power steering belt. I have noticed a small leak in the power steering pump, but I havent had the time to try rebuilt it. Does rebuilding a power steering pump mainly deal with new seals??? Never done it before. Anyways, I also noticed that the pulley on the pump is pretty wolby compared to all the other pulleys on the engine. The belt is not cracked or loose, but I might try to tighten the belt just to see if It goes away. Anyone rebuilt their power steering pump. Was thinking about the yota yard again. Toyota would charge me lots for a new pump I bet. Just seein if anyone else had pulley/squeaking problems from their pumps. Any suggestions welcome.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tyson94SR5
Hello again, I went to work this morning with a squeaky power steering belt. I have noticed a small leak in the power steering pump, but I havent had the time to try rebuilt it. Does rebuilding a power steering pump mainly deal with new seals??? Never done it before. Anyways, I also noticed that the pulley on the pump is pretty wolby compared to all the other pulleys on the engine. The belt is not cracked or loose, but I might try to tighten the belt just to see if It goes away. Anyone rebuilt their power steering pump. Was thinking about the yota yard again. Toyota would charge me lots for a new pump I bet. Just seein if anyone else had pulley/squeaking problems from their pumps. Any suggestions welcome.
Greetings!
You can but a re - seal/rebuild kit from Toyota, they're actually pretty cheap! As far as the rebuilding of the pump, if you have an ounce of mechanical aptitude, you got it! Check to make sure that the main bolt is tight! Here's some links for you to find a good price: www.1sttoyotaparts.com , www.butlertoyota.com , www.toyotaworld.com , www.toyotaoemparts.com
Good Luck!

* Harry *