Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Beep beep!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beep beep!

Finally the horn mod is done!

Short history: Got 1 air horn kit. 11" + 9" end to end horns 40AMP rated pump. Pump actually only draws 19A @ 13.6v. Hooked up both horns. The small horn added "meep meep" sound. Took out small one, now it sounds ok but volume was just ok. Loud but not ear piercing or truck loud. Got another kit. Now just using a pair of compressors and a pair of 11" horns. Sounds just right

If standing in front of the vehicle it is approaching the threshold of pain, so individually they probably didn’t even reach 130db.

http://4runner.s5.com/

(The MP3 of the horns was recorded in a gigantic loading dock)
Old 10-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Air Horn

Griot's has an all in one piece Italian style air horn for $39.95, the compressor and horns are together. I saw it in the new catalogue they sent me. Supposed to be 139 dB in front of the vehicle. I'm sure you could find it on their website. It is a complet kit with relay, wiring, compressor and horns.

Here is the link:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...htext=Air+horn

I think I might get it on down the road.

Brian
Old 10-06-2003, 05:34 PM

My kit said 140dB and we all know how advertising is

That 'Italian' horn is definitely weak, it is rated at only 10amps. It's all about pressure and number of horns after all. Dimensions are kind of small too so it must be a meep meep. The compressors can also go bad and that would be it for the whole system, while a separate unit can be replaced, even to a more powerful one down the road. When playing with the locations of the horns 90% of the loudness was attributed to placement. With horns it simply has to be line of sight! Since it's a relatively high frequency anything and everything will muffle the sound. If you decide to put the all in one outside the engine bay it would probably pick up water and not get warm in the coldest of winter.

Anybody know if same rule apply to horns... double the power and double the horns = +6db. Double the horns = +3db?

Last edited by 4RUNR; 10-06-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:45 PM

i was just thinking today of getting some new horns too! i've seen the hella ones and the fiam ones. they sound alright. but what i realli want and im sure EVERYONE wants are those trucker horns. if im going to do a horn mod, it has to be like that. i just love the way they sound! loud and deep! i dont want a screeching loud high pitched horn!

ive been looking on ebay for some trucker horns. those train horns cost like $600! that or imma look for a semi truck junk yard and take the horns!

my friend has a flxible bus and the air horns sound awesome! i want one of those lanyard pull horns! hehe
Old 10-06-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Beep beep!

Originally posted by 4RUNR
(The MP3 of the horns was recorded in a gigantic loading dock)
dood...

"Forbidden
Remote Host: [208.185.127.157]

You do not have permission to access http://4runner.s5.com/beep.mp3

Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using FreeServers"
Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by joshik
i was just thinking today of getting some new horns too! i've seen the hella ones and the fiam ones. they sound alright. but what i realli want and im sure EVERYONE wants are those trucker horns. if im going to do a horn mod, it has to be like that. i just love the way they sound! loud and deep! i dont want a screeching loud high pitched horn!

ive been looking on ebay for some trucker horns. those train horns cost like $600! that or imma look for a semi truck junk yard and take the horns!
eBay, eBay, eBay!

I love eBay... all of this came from there with a total cost of about $100:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/airhorns.html

There've been some changes since I did that write-up - I moved to a larger air tank and the pressure is now up to 150psi.

They're LOUD.

(yes, I have to get a recording someday)
Old 10-07-2003, 04:50 AM

Midi, I think it's fixed. Let me know. :pat:
Old 10-07-2003, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Midi, I think it's fixed. Let me know. :pat:
Nope... sorry man.

I get the error whether I hit the link direct from the outside world, from within the page, or from within a playback app like Winamp.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by midiwall
They're LOUD.

Darn, I should have got a vid of your horns when we were up at Greenwater a few Saturdays back.
That way you'd have a sound file & vid of them.

I'm pretty happy with my Highway Blasters for now.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Darn, I should have got a vid of your horns when we were up at Greenwater a few Saturdays back.
That way you'd have a sound file & vid of them.
Aye.

I have a mobile recording setup (Shure SM57, decent A/D converter, laptop, etc) but I'm just to lazy to haul it all outside and set it up with a mic stand and all.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by midiwall
eBay, eBay, eBay!

I love eBay... all of this came from there with a total cost of about $100:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/airhorns.html

There've been some changes since I did that write-up - I moved to a larger air tank and the pressure is now up to 150psi.

They're LOUD.

sweet setup! theyre not a high pitch horn right? its a low tone ?... im bidding on some hadley air horns... the lanyard pull type! i have an ARB compressor already... do u think it can power the horns? does neone know how many psi the ARBs hold. i dont imagine THAT much.... ???

Last edited by joshik; 10-07-2003 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by joshik
sweet setup! theyre not a high pitch horn right? its a low tone ?...
It sounds kinda' like a semi, though not as throaty. A semi gets that throaty tone from the length of the horn as well as the metal bell and housing. These horns have a plastic housing, which are good for the weather but keep some of the more interesting harmonics from being generated.

im bidding on some hadley air horns... the lanyard pull type! i have an ARB compressor already... do u think it can power the horns? does neone know how many psi the ARBs hold. i dont imagine THAT much.... ???
The issue with a compressor in this setting isn't the PSI rating as much as the flow rate (the CFM rating). To get any air horn to sound, you have to fill the diaphragm with air. To get them to resonate, you have to fill the entire horn. The larger the horn, the more volume it has, so you need more air.

You can push a stream of air at 100psi, but is the stream isn't big enough, then nothing will happen. This is why I use an external air tank.

The tank is loaded to 150psi and the compressor shuts off. When I hit the horn switch on the steering wheel, that opens up an air valve and the only thing stopping the flow of air to the horns is the 1/4" tubing (which is a limit of the fitting on the horns themselves). The amount of air being pushed at that point is FAR greater than the air compressor can provide at 150psi. The ViAir 450c is rated for 0.72 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) at 150psi, which isn't a lot of air.

So to tie this back into your asking about the ARB compressor, in short, I'd bet that it may not even sound the horns directly. I know that my ViAir won't, and the ARB is smaller than that.

Depending on the horns, you're going to want to look at doing a setup with a compressor, air tank, limit switch, etc.

Good luck on the auction!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:15 PM

It's got to be workking now!

Listen to the MP3!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:29 PM

And it is!

Nice!