Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Beef'd links, Beef'd gas tank..... and 1st gen roll bar installed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beef'd links, Beef'd gas tank..... and 1st gen roll bar installed.

I have bashed in my gas tank skid to the point where my sending unit was on its side. Here is some preview pics of what we did these past two days. Should get the rest of the pics up later today.

Mossy made some new lower links, beefed up my gas tank, and added a co2 mount to my 1st gen roll bar.

While i swapped out tanks and worked on the roll bar to fit it in.

will get better pics uploaded later. I am loving the new rollbar and the ability to hold 5 more gallons of gas. The links are going to be tuff to bend now.

1.5" 3/16 square tubing
Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good man, i thought you wanted the sways gone maybe it was someone else. hopefully i'll be doing the rollbar with the rest of schtuff this summer
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's kinda hard to see. Did you just weld a flat sheet of steel to the stock fuel tand skid? What thickness did you use? I am thinking of a similar skid. Let me know how it holds up.

Last edited by Gerdo; 03-19-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
looking good man, i thought you wanted the sways gone maybe it was someone else. hopefully i'll be doing the rollbar with the rest of schtuff this summer
sways? like swaybars.... broke too many of them, never putting it on again. Roll bar was pretty easy, just chopped the legs off right at the bottom then cut another 2" out of it and it fit perfectly. The hard part is figuring how to get it in, once you figure that out the first time its easy the rest of the times.

Originally Posted by Gerdo
It's kinda hard to see. Did you just weld a flat sheet of steel to the stock fuel tand skid? What thickness did you use? I am thinking of a similar skid. Let me know how it holds up.
Yep 3/16 on the whole bottom of the gas tank skid, when I get back home I will upload all the pics of making them. I never bent any of my stock legs with the stock gas tank skid, infact one of the legs dented the frame.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
You cargo area looks AAaa veeeedddddyyyy nice

Old 03-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Here are the build pics

Gas Tank:

Before-

hmmm sending unit looks good

After-

Links, yes they are plum:

Interior mods:

Last edited by crolison; 03-19-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Maj

Man, any time I see fuel carried inside it gives me the shivers. God forbid you would ever roll but those cans could come lose and clock somebody or bust open and spill fuel all over. The ratchet straps aren't very secure under tumbling conditions and the cargo d-rings aren't all that beefy. I'm not trying to be a d!ck I just don't want to see you injure yourself or others.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maj
Man, any time I see fuel carried inside it gives me the shivers. God forbid you would ever roll but those cans could come lose and clock somebody or bust open and spill fuel all over. The ratchet straps aren't very secure under tumbling conditions and the cargo d-rings aren't all that beefy. I'm not trying to be a d!ck I just don't want to see you injure yourself or others.
They be empty, I have never needed to carry fuel a long distance (ie lawn mower gas), plus i was using that to hold my old gas so I could put it in my new tank and the other tan jerry can I use for spills or any liquid on the trail, so its usually 99% of the time empty.

Last time I used it was to collect coolant to reuse when i cracked my radiator.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I was going to say nice work, but then I saw the plum colored links, and I'm not too sure now

Yeah your gas tank was kinda screwed. I thought mine was bad, but, I guess not compared to yours.

How long did you drive with those links bent like that?!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Well, I was going to say nice work, but then I saw the plum colored links, and I'm not too sure now

Yeah your gas tank was kinda screwed. I thought mine was bad, but, I guess not compared to yours.

How long did you drive with those links bent like that?!
Kinda....... The gas light sensor was practically below the pump. I figured that's why when my gas light came on I had about 30 seconds worth of gas left

They have been bent since October 08, at least then.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM

All that work looks like A+ quality man. What kind of synthetic line are you running on your Warn?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by benp
All that work looks like A+ quality man. What kind of synthetic line are you running on your Warn?
Thanks,

Amsteel Synthetic, 96ft of 5/16"
Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 AM

Did you replace the dented gas tank as well and did you just welded the plate over the dent skid?

The links look good, just paint them another color.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 AM

Nice.
How much room was between the skid and the tank? I wonder if my tank is dented, the skid is pretty bad.
Also, was it cake to take the skid off? I'd like to reinforce mine too.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by wormhole
Did you replace the dented gas tank as well and did you just welded the plate over the dent skid?
Whole new set up, new skid, tank and sending unit. No way the old skid would have fit on the new tank. Plus the skid was included in the tank price.

Originally Posted by DavidAlexander
Nice.
How much room was between the skid and the tank? I wonder if my tank is dented, the skid is pretty bad.
Also, was it cake to take the skid off? I'd like to reinforce mine too.
Tank and skid are touching, the skid hugs the tank. Almost no room between, so if you have any sizeable dent you have a dent in the tank.

Skid was easy to take off, now get back on was a little trickier. If your wanting to beef yours up and its denter good, just replace everything.

I mainly did mine because i knew at some point i would further dent my tank into my sending unit and cause the pump to break and that means to gas........
Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM

looking good! i'm digging the roll bar, where have i seen one of these before... hmm? atleast one of us got done what we said we were going to over spring break lol. i'm getting extremely lazy! but i also have no money anymore. baseball starts soon so i'll be umpiring and making some and i'll be mowing soon too. we going to go wheeling still? as soon as i get an angle finder i can finish the skid
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugh. Just keeps reminding me to find a tank and a regulator and get my co2 setup!!!!

So was there any room up there to tuck the tank up any higher? I wish there was some way... besides making a whole new tank. I rarely hit the tank, but, it would be nice to have it higher.

Hmm ideas ideas.

Whens u get the 35's?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Ugh. Just keeps reminding me to find a tank and a regulator and get my co2 setup!!!!

So was there any room up there to tuck the tank up any higher? I wish there was some way... besides making a whole new tank. I rarely hit the tank, but, it would be nice to have it higher.

Hmm ideas ideas.

Whens u get the 35's?
Haha, that basically is the co2 setup........

Not much room above the tank to move it up. if you had a bl then you could get a few inches with some fudging.

35's haha, prolly after i graduate. I need a DD first.