Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bed body work options

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed body work options

Hello guys, I'm a newbie here. I just got into an accident earlier today and I was wondering if you guys could possible give me some advice on the body work repair of my Tacoma bed. I got hit from behind and took out the passenger side corner light, tailgate and bumper. I need to go find estimates tomorrow, but what advice would you guys give me for a repair like this? Can the repair shop fix this dent by replacing a portion of the corner bed and tailgate or will I need a new tailgate and bed? Check out the photos.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Hopefully the other guy's insurance is paying, so I'll give you the generous estimate: replace rear bumper and black bumper cover, replace and repaint rear tailgate, remove/ replace right tail light, stud weld the dent, pull out as much as possible with slide hammer, light coat of body filler and paint. When my '88 4Runner was hit in 1992 and damaged in the tailgate only the repair, with a perfect paint match was over $1200, paid for by insurance. If you are handy I could see this being profitable. I bet the estimate is at least a couple of thousand $$. You could do the body work yourself and get the whole truck painted and still get ahead. If a body shop is doing the work it will be cheaper for them to paint and replace the tailgate than to repair it. They will do as I described above for the dent and not cut/weld a new section on.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm not a body man by any means.
i think they will use the welded pins and slide hammer on that damage.
a good body shop should use very little bondo to finish it off.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it was me I would demand a new bed as well since your not at fault. I would want my truck just like it was before the dumb ass hit me. No bondo !!!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mokai
If it was me I would demand a new bed as well since your not at fault. I would want my truck just like it was before the dumb ass hit me. No bondo !!!!!!
This ^^
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
It's at least a ten year old vehicle. Do you all know how insurance companies work? A new bed would likely cause it to be totalled.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on your(his) insurance I would tell them NO aftermarket parts. Maybe on the chrome bumper but nothing else. The dent below the tail light is pretty deep and in a very stout area to be pulled or hammered out, and that tail light pocket is pretty mangled too. You can get a new boxside put on without having to buy an entirely new box/bed. If the inner structure on that boxside is damaged they might have to replace that as well. You could get a used tailgate which would fit better than aftermarket junk if new is not available or priced reasonably.

From what I can see:
Replace chrome rear bumper (overhaul rear bumper, includes license lamps and bracket swaps)
Possibly replace R rear bumper bracket
Replace rear bumper top pad
Replace tailgate (check for damage to R latch and striker)
Refinish Tailgate
Replace tailgate emblems
R&I tailgate handle
Replace R tail lamp (any damage to the harness?)
R&I bed cover
R&I R rear mudflap
R&I R rear flare
Replace TRD sticker (probably come in a pair)
R&I Box (for boxside repair)
Replace R outer boxside
Replace or repair inner R boxside
Refinish outer and/or inner R boxside (do you have a bedliner or spray in liner?)
Replace painted on pinstripe
Replace any protectors there might be on the R boxside

R&I means "remove and install", body shop lingo.
Again, if this is paid by another party's insurance don't let them push you around and throw cheap aftermarket parts on or do shoddy repairs just to make it cheaper for them. Get it done right or raise hell if they say otherwise. Be involved in the repair process, make sure you know what's being done and why and make sure they do things how YOU want them done (within reason).

Just my two cents, from some one that works in a shop that does things the correct way with quality and safety in mind.