Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Beaten to death: red or green coolant?

Old 08-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Beaten to death: red or green coolant?

ok, so there doesn't seem to be any consensus on using the toyota red or the plain old green coolant. is there any proof that the toyota red coolant is better (and worth shelling out the extra $ for)? let's hear some opinions, because i need to change my coolant this week.

-Russell
Old 08-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

ooh yeah.. I got to do mine too.

I stick with Toyota red for my 02. I'm going to be using some Prestone stuff on my 86.
I wonder if I could use the red on my 1st gen?

Anyhow, BUMP for the topic cause I'd like to know too
Old 08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
ooh yeah.. I got to do mine too.

I stick with Toyota red for my 02.
How many miles on the '02? I have like almost 26, Just wondering when I should flush mine. I thought "RED" was supposed to last pretty long.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have 65K on mine - I haven't flushed but I did refill a little while ago.
My 86 is nearly bone dry so I have to do that one.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

purple
Old 08-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Antifreeze doesn't breakdown, at least at normal engine temps, and many shops recycle the old, filter it, add fresh anti-corrosion and waterpump lubricant, then pump it right back into your vehicle. It's also toxic to a lot of mammals, fish, amphibians, etc. (ethylene glycol) and tastes & smells sweet.

I use the Sierra brand antifreeze (propylene glycol) because it makes my vehicle slightly less toxic to my animals and wildlife. I do add a can of Prestone anti corrosion and water pump lubricant once a year and swapped the fluid out at about 150K when I did my timing belt and waterpump about 2.5 years ago. I don't worry about my cooling system. With 216K miles, it still runs like a champ and stays in the cool range on the idiot meter, even on our 100 degree days.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:09 PM

According to what I have heard, and I could have gotten bad info. the Toyota red contains a coagulant agent. This will stop small leaks. As soon as it hits the air it scabs over where the leak is. Happend to my water pump, saw it when I replaced it.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

I did notice some crusty red stuff at the tubing to the radiator... maybe that myth holds some validity?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

well, that's what this thread is trying to find out... i'm still not convinced about spending the $18 for a gallon of toyota red

-Russell
Old 08-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'm running Red, and I have no leaks
Coincidence? Probably.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:07 PM

I've always run the "RED" to me it's worth it! It will seal small leaks and if you do have a leak you will find where's it leaking from! Some have said that the RED is very corrosive and eats your hoses, rad..., I've found no evidence of that! I've always ran the RED, It actually runs a little cooler than the Green in my truck as I have proved that by comparing the 2!

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:22 PM

Has anyone tried the Prestone Quickfill that is already premixed 50/50 with water? I think it's around $6 at Walmart. I just used it to top off my coolant reservoir, but am using Toyota red right now. It says it's safe for all coolant types.

When I have to do my timing belt/waterpump I will still use the Toyota stuff. I too have noticed that it will crust up in places where it is allowed to dry.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nunsa
It actually runs a little cooler than the Green in my truck as I have proved that by comparing the 2!
That's an interesting observation. I did put the CRC version of "Water Wetter" in mine at the change. I wonder if the Toy coolant has it as an additive?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check me if I'm wrong, but my time as a parts store manager and mechanic, in my knowledge, green antifreeze is just your run of the mill antifreeze. If the red antifreeze from toyota is anything like the red dexcool antifreeze that all gm vehicles must use, then there is a huge difference between it and green. The red contains an additive specifically made for aluminum heads and radiators. It prevents corrosion and does a couple other things having to do with the fact that the components the antifreeze touches are now aluminum and not cast iron or steel. For those who have green now, I would recommend going to the parts store and buying the additive that the red coolant contains thats designed for aluminum parts. Has anyone else heard about this difference before, or is it just me?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, the red GM coolant also contains additives to make it last longer, the Toyota red probably does as well. What they are and how they make the stuff last longer is anyone's guess...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

i would recommend to every one, that if your truck came with red, keep it red, if it came with green, keep it green, Ive heard that to properly switch types of coolants you must replace all rubber components, and throughly flush the block, red and green don't mix well and will produce a sludgeish type of crap
Old 09-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Banned

they make it last longer due to the fact that newer vehicles are supposed to have extended service intervals... like some cars nowadays dont need a tuneup till 100k, and things like that.....

it is true to the otehr which you have stated that the gm dexcool was actually designed with aluminum parts in mind as most of the gm vortec heads which are pretty much in everything are alloy
Old 09-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

well, i ended up going with the toyota red anyway, it was on sale for $13 at the dealer. so i flushed the block/radiator/heater core and put the new stuff in. seems to be running great so far.

-Russell
Old 09-02-2004, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
That's an interesting observation. I did put the CRC version of "Water Wetter" in mine at the change. I wonder if the Toy coolant has it as an additive?
FYI...water wetter works good,I used it for years.
I am now using "Engine Ice" in my KTM 4 stroke dirt bikes,jeep cherokee and the toy and have noticed a bigger cooling effect over water wetter.
This stuff really works which is very important in the hot (sometimes VERY HOT) desert here.
Heres the link to their site:
http://www.engineice.cc/products.html
You should be able to find it in most any dirt bike shop.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Banned

i was just checking out the engine ice site and found will it owrk in cars.. their answer was yes and no..... so will it make my truck run cooler than standard coolant?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beaten to death: red or green coolant?