YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Battery Cable Extension

For you guys that have done an upgrade to an Optima Battery - I am installing a blue top, and need to buy an extension for the OEM battery cables, rather than rip them out completely and install longer ones. Where do I find an "extension"? A couple of stores that I have checked have never heard of such a thing..... Is there another way to do this? Thanks for your answers...!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
1997 SR5 4X4 - Deckplate, Amsoil, Silverstars, TJM-15, Hella 4000 HID's, SAWS, Whelen, Flowmaster, Toyos, Optima Blue, Tinted, Burtman Clear Corners, 99-02 Headlamps, Black Tacoma Antenna, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Urban SUV
Runner SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (-1)

Re: Battery Cable Extension

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner SS
For you guys that have done an upgrade to an Optima Battery - I am installing a blue top, and need to buy an extension for the OEM battery cables, rather than rip them out completely and install longer ones. Where do I find an "extension"? A couple of stores that I have checked have never heard of such a thing..... Is there another way to do this? Thanks for your answers...!!
Check this thread out, the first post about 2/3 way down where he talks about extending the cables.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.p...dual+batteries

He just extends his OEM ones. I hope this helps!

waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
I never heard of one and couldn't find one either so I had to just rip the stock ones out and replace them. it was due for it anyway i guess.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
keisur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fourunnabilly
First of all, how far do you need to extend? You can easily find 4 gauge terminal connectors of at least 25" at almost any auto parts store. Then to connect to your existing wires, run by an audio place and pick up some 4 gauge end terminals/connectors and just run a bolt through the two to connect. If you are making an extremely long line, run to the audio store and grab a bunch of 4 gauge wire and use that to re-route...should be very simple...I'm running 3 optima dry cells.

Billy
fourunnabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jacksonpt
I installed my yellow top without extending the battery leads. I did have to extend the wire that runs to the fuse box (white wire, I think), but that was easy.

My runner has bee traded in *sniff* on an 06 SR5 long bed d-cab Tacoma. The tacoma is nice, but... *sniff* ... I'll update my site when I'm done grieving.
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fourunnabilly
First of all, how far do you need to extend? You can easily find 4 gauge terminal connectors of at least 25" at almost any auto parts store. Then to connect to your existing wires, run by an audio place and pick up some 4 gauge end terminals/connectors and just run a bolt through the two to connect. If you are making an extremely long line, run to the audio store and grab a bunch of 4 gauge wire and use that to re-route...should be very simple...I'm running 3 optima dry cells.

Billy
you need thicker than 4 gauge for the positive/starter cable. like 2 gauge.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
Old 11-26-2003, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fourunnabilly
I beg to differ...run to your local auto parts store and tell me what gauge 90% of the battery leads they stock are...and honestly, 8 gauge is even strong enough for the majority of leads if the draw is not too extreme...please don't get me started with electrical...one could probably conclude that due to the fact I mentioned I am running 3 ultima's, that maybe a battery isolator or two is involved somewhere in the mix, as well as wiring in parallel, and most likely a few amps that draw in excess of 10,000 watts RMS...or maybe i truly have no clue about wiring and electrical situations. Actually, I was wondering if you could explain a couple of terms that i think is apply to this discussion somehow?

I hear people talking about 1'0 wire all the time, I'm assuming that must be a very small wire cause they never seem to say what size of gauge it is?

And two, a friend of mine has this vehicle, or maybe it was mine...I can't remember...but one day we turned on the stereo really loud and this little meter thingy gave us a reading of 176.2 Db...do you think you could help me to interpret what this means...I thought D.B. could maybe stand for dead battery?

Thanks so much for all your time and help. Sorry for my ignorance, but my only true way to learn these kinds of things is by consulting someone like you who has great knowledge in this specific field.

Billy
fourunnabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

disconect the bolts that hold the wires to the frame near altinator, that should give you enough play. Next remove the ground and connect it near the grill. I am currently using a bunjy to hold it down. It has worked perfectly. Remember to connect hi volt stuff (amplifiers, winches, altinator) to the top and not the smaller terminals. use those for lights and minor excessories
Any car audio store will know exactly how to do your extension. The all stock power cables and sell them by the foot they also have cool power spliters for running multiple things.
إن شاء الله

Last edited by Hyperlite; 11-26-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Hyperlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
For you guys that have done an upgrade to an Optima Battery - I am installing a blue top, and need to buy an extension for the OEM battery cables, rather than rip them out completely and install longer ones. Where do I find an "extension"?
I found mine at pep boys. good parts stores can custom make em as well. Or just buy the cable, connectors, and solder it together yourself. JCWhitey has some:
Click the image to open in full size. - www.jcwhitney.com

Using the positive extension and a riser board is a quick, cheap, easy, and secure way to install the optima.
I will eventually have a built Toyota (Tacoma or FJ) some day again . . . for now I have a station wagon.
transalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fourunnabilly
[B]I beg to differ...run to your local auto parts store and tell me what gauge 90% of the battery leads they stock are[B]
I did check my local auto stores and 100% of the gound cables (black) are 4 gauge and 100% of the starter cables (red) are 2 gauge.

Now, I won't sit here and argue this with you as we each have our own opinion.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
Old 12-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I simply relocated the white wire by drilling a hole in the side of my fusebox, lengthen the chassis ground wire and re-bent the battery hold down bracket.
BruceTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to jx94148
I personally wouldn't use anything thinner than 1 gauge since the longer cables have more resistance. I used 1 gauge wires to re-locate my winch switchbox under the hood with cable and copper solder-on terminals for a while. Everything came from a welding supply place up the street.
jx94148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jx94148
I personally wouldn't use anything thinner than 1 gauge since the longer cables have more resistance. I used 1 gauge wires to re-locate my winch switchbox under the hood with cable and copper solder-on terminals for a while. Everything came from a welding supply place up the street.
I agree, when I replaced mine I measured the stock starter and ground cable because I wanted to stay the same or thicker. I believe the stock on mine was a little thicker than 2gauge. So with those added accessories, I agree.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Silly question here - Does Optima not make a battery with the reverse terminal layout as required on our Toyotas??
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I just turned my red top on its side - no modifcation needed, except to the battery hold down.
rimpainter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JSharp
Silly question here - Does Optima not make a battery with the reverse terminal layout as required on our Toyotas??
I believe they made an Orange top which was just the Red top with the posts reversed so it fit like a stock battry. but it's been discontinued I think.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
Old 12-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Yeah, Keisur is right. I bought the red top anyway though. Autozone doesnt know crap.
rimpainter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Autozone doesnt know crap.
hehe, tell me about it. I was there getting some gear lube one day and the "chef" that was installing the batteries for the women told this woman not to touch the black post because it will cause the battery to go dead in 2 weeks. Even my wife looked at me when we overheard that and she started snickering. I felt like making a fool of him but then he threw out the old disclaimer statement "I don't care what anybody says but it's true." with that I started snickering back at my wife.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
Old 12-02-2003, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

i just bought a red top with the post on the back where you need them, i have to redo my cables though for a new set of connectors, the orange top is now red
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
the orange top is now red
nope. they discontinued the orange. they used to make both but now only make the red top. Never heard of anybody needing a different post clamp unless you got the one that has the screw ins on the side in which case you could just get screw-in posts so you wouldn't have to change your connectors.
2013 Jackson Cuda 14
2013 Jackson Big Tuna
Old 12-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
batteries, battery, black, blue, bracket, cable, cables, extebsions, extend, extension, optima, positive, stuff, walmart, wire