Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Battery, Battery, which one to pick...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery, Battery, which one to pick...

Ok, my battery is just about dead. It has got to go. So i am woundering what battrery i should get to replace it.

I will be using a fair amount of power without the enigne running so i need a battery that will last. It is not uncommon for me to have to leave the lights for a good while without it running. Or have the radio on (i will have a nice one once i get it installed, 1000W amp ect...)

So should i go with a Optima? or just an oversized normal battery? What "oversized" batterys have ya'll used with good luck? Thanks!

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use a interstate (they make optima's) i have'nt had any problems with it
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a Lexus dealership, so I just used a 24F-575 OEM battery which is made by Interstate. Works for me.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

depends on how much power you have to drain. if you have soundsystem, lights, and other aux options than an optima red top would be best suited for you. medium power consumption doesn't really require anything special, just look at walmart/autozone, etc.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

id say go with a yellow top optima.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

My power drain is not so much fast power drain as long times without recharging and draining.

I just want a battery that i can count on and won't die anytime soon.

I figured i would just go with a regular battery but wanted to see what ya'll had to say. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM

Yellow-top Optima. I had no idea that Interstate Batteries made the Optima. Interesting...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Get an Odyssey. They are the best, hands down.

EDIT: 2000th post!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM

The optima type of battery seem to hold up better to vibration as all the cells are seperate and they have gel in them not liquid. I haven been returning my batt on waranty (on my 4th) every 6 months as the vibration from offroading seems to loosen the plates and grounds the plates together.Anyone else have this problem? Once the warrenty runs out I am getting an optima.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
My power drain is not so much fast power drain as long times without recharging and draining.

I just want a battery that i can count on and won't die anytime soon.

I figured i would just go with a regular battery but wanted to see what ya'll had to say. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a good job for a yellow top. By far best battery I have ever owned. Its in my 3rd rig right now, 7 years later. It will take the type of abuse you are going to put it thru with long drains between charges. I once killed my yellow top deader than dead, I left the dome light on for 6 weeks with the truck parked. When I got home the truck wouldnt start, measured the voltage at .010, any other battery would have been a boat anchor at this time. Put a charger on it for 24 hours and it was back up and running, that was 3 years ago, not one issue since.

Based on how you described your usage I would not get a red top, if you kill them once they are done for good.

linky
Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

I have been looking at batteries for the last week and hereis what i have found now that i have some un-baised input.

There are actually only about 3 - 4 car battery manufactures. Those few make all the car batteries in the US. they just put differnt lables on them.

Although i do want to best battery i can get i also don't have unlimited funds. I have been really wanting that yellow top but there are 2 thimgs keeping me from it.

1 : it costs $160 vs $75

2 : the red top and other batteries have 3 year free replacement + 72 mo proreated. The yellow top has a 1 year free replacement and 36 mo prorated (i think, might be a little more but it is a lot less than other batteries).

Your example with the dome light is now making me think twice about the warranty thing though...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM

I have been looking at batteries for the last week and hereis what i have found now that i have some un-baised input.

There are actually only about 3 - 4 car battery manufactures. Those few make all the car batteries in the US. they just put differnt lables on them.

Although i do want to best battery i can get i also don't have unlimited funds. I have been really wanting that yellow top but there are 2 thimgs keeping me from it.

1 : it costs $160 vs $75

2 : the red top and other batteries have 3 year free replacement + 72 mo proreated. The yellow top has a 1 year free replacement and 36 mo prorated (i think, might be a little more but it is a lot less than other batteries).

Your example with the dome light is now making me think twice about the warranty thing though...
Shop around, it can be had in the 130 range.... the red top is not what you want based on what I have read.... My next battery will be a yellow top, and probably the one after that too...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Shop around, it can be had in the 130 range.... the red top is not what you want based on what I have read.... My next battery will be a yellow top, and probably the one after that too...
I would like to know where to find it for $130. If it was that cheap i would snatch it up. Sams club is the cheapest i have found and they are 160 for the yellow top.

And i agree that the yellow is the way to go. The smaller warranty just made me wounder if it would last or if it was a battery that would go out in a year...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 PM

You know come to think of it that price was at a PX on an army base... got any military buddies??

I think the warranty is shorter due to the intended nature of a deep cycle.... you can expect to deep drain and recharge and be okay, but I dont think they will survive more than a few complete drainings...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

True, i think you are right. It is like lawn mowers, you can get the honda residentual and it will have a 3 year waranty or get the commerical and only get a 1 year...

I will have to check with a few guys i know at the local military base....
Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Optima's can have reliability issues. Several of my friends have used them and the AZ heat just kills them. Pretty pathetic. Other brands offer a much better product, but don't have the marketing driving them like Optima does.

I recommend Odyssey or the Exide Orbital XCD (what I have; $150 shipped). These are better options than the Optima, especially the unbeatable Odysseys. I used an Odyssey PC680 (aircraft size) for 2 seasons in my Honda daily driver/road racer mounted right near the header in the Arizona heat and even drained it completely several times. The battery NEVER failed in the toughest conditions I could imagine for any battery. It's the best you can buy...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

You know, those Odyssey's are starting to look good. I never even really looked at them since no one local sold them and i thought shipping would be outrages.

so has anyone mounted one of them in a 4runner? What model to get...

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-02-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i run an Orbital black top. 1017 cca. Mounted on its side so i have a complete set of free terminals on the top..
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Optimas are manufactured in their own plant near Denver International Airport. The company is part of Johnson Controls, and Johnson Controls is one of the biggest automotive battery manufacturers in the world - they produce many OEM and private branded batteries (including Interstate).

To the best of my knowledge, the Optima plant is a stand-alone operation in Colorado, and it is considered the flagship of the Johnson Controls brands - the only one mentioned, by name, on the J.C. website.

Just wanted to point that out, since Optima is a long time Colorado company. They were developed here, and are still manufactured here.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

You know, those Odyssey's are starting to look good. Especially since i looked up there price. I never even really looked at them since no one local sold them and i thought shipping would be outrages.

so has anyone mounted one of them in a 4runner? What model to get...
Some people on expeditionportal.com have them. I think they now make one in whatever group size the 4Runners use.

If I remember right, they have a 10 year life expectancy.

Quick Reply: Battery, Battery, which one to pick...