Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bambi messed the front end up... need bumper, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bambi messed the front end up... need bumper, suggestions?

I hit bambi today on my way to work. She messed the front bumper up really bad, the lower plastic valence was rubbing on the tire really good and I just had to rip it off to continue driving.

Anyone have any tips for a bumper? I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet so I have no idea what brackets need to be replaced, but autoparts warehouse sells the brackets for about $65... so ill just get new ones probably.

I was considering an off road bumper, but $800 is just too steep I think. If anyone has any suggestions about my possibilities I would love to hear them. I haven't had the time or money since I was in college to continue with any upgrades, but now that I have a job and have graduated I want to get back into fixing my 4runner up. If the price is right, putting a good bumper on now is an option.

i'm at work and my lunch break is going to end in about 5 mins, otherwise I can throw some pics up later tonight of the damage.

Thanks fellas,
-Chad

edit: BTW: after looking at it I realized I am going to need to replace more than the bumper, the passenger fender is bent a little bit, im hoping to bend it back. head light sticks out a little bit so everything around it seems to have pushed in.. hopefully nothing important is damaged.

Last edited by chadbobb; 10-30-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Unless you find a used one somewhere, a good aftermarket bumper for 3rd gen's are going to start at about $800 for everything.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM

that's kind of what i figured.... maybe ill just go the replacement route for the time being... Anyone ever deal with the replacement brands vs a OEM bumper? On of the comments on one on autopartswarehouse was that they are thinner than the factory bumpers.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hit bambi today on my way to work. She messed the front bumper up really bad, the lower plastic valence was rubbing on the tire really good and I just had to rip it off to continue driving.

Anyone have any tips for a bumper? I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet so I have no idea what brackets need to be replaced, but autoparts warehouse sells the brackets for about $65... so ill just get new ones probably.

I was considering an off road bumper, but $800 is just too steep I think. If anyone has any suggestions about my possibilities I would love to hear them. I haven't had the time or money since I was in college to continue with any upgrades, but now that I have a job and have graduated I want to get back into fixing my 4runner up. If the price is right, putting a good bumper on now is an option.

i'm at work and my lunch break is going to end in about 5 mins, otherwise I can throw some pics up later tonight of the damage.

Thanks fellas,
Doesnt part of you,, oh I dont know.......want to show us? I mean, If its not to much trouble, maybe. And sooner then later..
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Any aftermarket I have looked at for my pickup are cheaply made and cheap for a reason, but a bumper from the dealer might run you a pretty penny, have you priced one from the dealer? Depending on how much they want might make your decision. I needed a lower valance for my truck and after looking at one at the yard I waited for a used one, it was almost like a pop can compared to factory which seems to be like all aftermarket the same but thin thin thin. Post some pics of the carnage
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Do you have comprehensive insurance? If so, file a claim! If not, look into it for the future! It's usually pretty cheap compared to collision. We have so many deer down here it doesn't make sense not to have it.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Doesnt part of you,, oh I dont know.......want to show us? I mean, If its not to much trouble, maybe. And sooner then later..
when I got off work it was already dark. I snapped one photo right after it happened.
see it here

Originally Posted by '884Runner
Do you have comprehensive insurance? If so, file a claim! If not, look into it for the future! It's usually pretty cheap compared to collision. We have so many deer down here it doesn't make sense not to have it.
I do, at first i thought this was considered a collision but I just got done doing the research and figured out it is comprehensive. I was avoiding the collision claim because my deduct is $500 and at that price, plus the insurance price increase i figured i would repair it myself. But at $250 deductable for comprehensive, I am really considering that now.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If there are any salvage yards around you, you might get lucky and find a good one. At that point I'd probably just go with an off road one.

Here is a list of some bumpers that is one of the stickies.

I like the addicted offroad bumper. Scotty has a really good reputation and the bumper looks great too. It's also cheaper than $800. Maybe someday when I graduate or hit a deer I can get one.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBurt
If there are any salvage yards around you, you might get lucky and find a good one. At that point I'd probably just go with an off road one.

Here is a list of some bumpers that is one of the stickies.

I like the addicted offroad bumper. Scotty has a really good reputation and the bumper looks great too. It's also cheaper than $800. Maybe someday when I graduate or hit a deer I can get one.
thanks for the info. One of the ones that I have been looking into for a while is the ARB... they also happen to be the only dealer with readily available info on the bumpers...

I'll look into the arb bumper more, but does anyone have any experience with it?