Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Baja Rack is on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baja Rack is on...

All,

Big props to Baja Rack for making a rack specifically for the 3rd generation 4runner! I have been looking for a rack that would not be so high up from the vehicle roof line and it has taken me over 2 years to find a rack that would fit the bill. I was not looking for a rack that spanned the entire length of the roof since I am going to get an expedition trailer built soon. Also, big props to Jacque at TRDParts4U for sending me pics and having this rack in stock. I ordered it, it shipped the next day, and it was on my rig two days later...

Anyway, I got a chance to visit with John at Baja Rack, and was informed of 4 offerings for the rig currently (Note: their web page has not been updated yet...call for specifics). The Mule, Mega Mule, and two just for the 3rd generation. Both 'Mule' racks fit onto the factory cross bars and set higher that the 3rd gen racks.

Here are a couple of photos of Jacque's rig with the mule...

The 3rd generation specific racks come in two different configurations. A full rack complete with 6 inch rails and the other one, for roof top tents, comes without rails. Both are 60" long x 41" wide.

Here is the 3rd generation expedition rack with the RTT (Thanks John for the pic)...

I went with the full rack as the trailer will get the RTT eventually. These new racks will retro fit into the factory rails and will sit considerably lower.

When my rack arrived, my initial impression is that it is light. I was able to hoist this unto the roof by myself due to it weighing under 52 pounds. The finish is durable, and looks good right out of the box. Comes with instructions, all of the mounting hardware, and a cargo net. It shipped as one piece...

The rack bolts to feet that slide into the rails as such. Not seen is the foot that is in the rail itself...

The accessories that I went with were the following: Hi lift jack mount and the axe / shovel mount...shovel will get here in two days...

There is a hole drilled in the mounting bolt that will allow a small padlock to lock the wingnut down. I found some steel spacers to prevent the wingnuts from loosening too much and slow the thieves down. Hopefully, they will see the effort needed to kipe (s.p.?) my goods and move on...

These accessories are pretty reasonable when compared to the other rack systems available. Kudos to Baja Rack for giving us value for our hard earned buck...

Enjoy! and THANKS AGAIN TO Baja Rack and TRDParts4U :wings:

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited by bigwapitijohnny; 09-29-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM

nice man thats a good lookin rack
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM

I really like how you went into details with the picures and descriptions. Hopefully this makes someones elses decision easier! thanks!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

I think last time I saw your rig I was itching to throw you a couple bucks to get some 33s at least, if i get ten people i will throw in ten dollars to support the cause looking great man, love the 'quality over quantity' philosophy that's guided your truck
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 PM

New and improved, I like it!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome post Johnny. Did you have to buy the mounting brackets separately?

Chaplain, what size did you get? I want a full length one like that.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Everything was included...

SC4,

Thanks for the props. Everything was included in the kit. Including the hardware, cargo net, and sticker schwag. Go get one, these are the bomb...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Last edited by Chaplain; 09-22-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Awesome post Johnny. Did you have to buy the mounting brackets separately?
That is humorous only because when I first contacted BajaRack they didn't think anyone would ever want a full length one on a 4Runner. There is hardly a week that goes by that someone doesn't ask me about my rack.

I have the MegaMule originally designed for the fj and to fit ontop of oem racks existing cross bars. I modified their mounts so it would fit directly to the roof thus lowering the rack probably 6in.

The one to get is the one Johnny has. It is sleeker/skinnier made for the with of a 4runner (mine is wider and looks a little funny). Just ask BajaRack to give you the extension so its full length. I work Sergio down there, but everyone is pretty cool 760.621.0171.

Here is a pic of my custom shovel mount http://durkadurka.net/photocart/inde...iewImage=39652
Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info Chaplain.

Ok so they sell a extension? Interesting.

Buy directly from Baja Rack?

Ya I want the mounts that fit right into the runners on the top of the roof, not on the cross bars

ALso are they aluminum or steel?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Doubt that thing is steel and under 25 lbs
Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Hey Bigwap, I just checked out the Baja website and I couldn't find those mounts that fit down into the rail anywhere. Did you get those from a 3rd party dealer or fab them up...or did I just mis them? Those are clutch, mounting the rack on the cross bars puts it way up there.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Chaplain and Johnny.. So how much do these run cost wise?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DMONEY
Hey Bigwap, I just checked out the Baja website and I couldn't find those mounts that fit down into the rail anywhere. Did you get those from a 3rd party dealer or fab them up...or did I just mis them? Those are clutch, mounting the rack on the cross bars puts it way up there.
The 3rd gen 4runner rack comes with the inchannel mounts...that's why it's 3rd gen specific.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DMONEY
The website is outdated and will be updated soon. I would call them for that information. The 3rd gen rack came with these mounts included...hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

Originally Posted by itsdchz
Chaplain and Johnny.. So how much do these run cost wise?
3rd generation rack is $450. While the expedition style without the rails is $395. Seems quite high but I compared these to Thule, Yakima, and Gobi...Better value with the Baja Rack if this is rack meets your needs...

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited by bigwapitijohnny; 09-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM

BJW,

I really like the looks of your Baja Rack and am thinking about replacing my Surco with one of these models. My dilema is whether to mount this new rack to my existing Yakima crossbars, or get the one specifically for the 3rd gen that mounts in the roof channels. After all the years with the Surco on the Yakima racks I've gotten used to the height and width of the crossbars (about 5" off the roof and 58" wide) and am a little worried that the 3rd gen rack will be too "low profile" for my taste. How high off your roof is the bottom of the Baja Rack? Also, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you take a picture from the front of the 4runner so I can get an idea of how the width and front angle of the rack?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 AM

Tarheel,

Here you go...

The Rack attaches to the rails with 3 bases on each side. The middle base is about 1/2 inch above the rail while the other two bases are about 3/4 ~ 1 inch above the rail. Hope this helps...The height of the rails are 6 inches which is similar to that of the FJ cruiser racks...

By the way, I can tell you that the impact so far from a gas mileage sake is not really an issue at all without the hi-lift and shovel / axe on. Since this is my DD, I'm going to leave all of the accessories off until I go into the woods...hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited by bigwapitijohnny; 09-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM

BMJ - thanks so much for the pictures and info. I just talked to the guys at Baja Rack - the 4runner edition is 41" x 60" x 6" and the total rack height off the roof after mounting is approximately 7". There are 6 total mounting points (3 on each side). I really like the lower profile look of this rack, planning to put my current rack system up for grabs in the classifieds and invest in one of these!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM

Hello Guys,

Just a quick correction the weight of the rack is 51 LB, the frame is made of carbon steel and the wind deflector of aluminum.
In two weeks our new site will finally have this product.

Cheers

Sergio Murillo
BajaRack Adventure Equipment a Division of:
CCM Assembly & Manufacturing, Inc.
2598 Fortune Way
Suite E, Vista CA 92081
Phone: (760) 621-0171
Fax: (760) 539-9960
Nextel: 125*172789*1
e-mail: smurillo@bajarack.com
web site: www.bajarack.com

BajaRack Europe
Werther Straße 69
D- 46419 Isselburg, Germany
Phone: (+49) 2874 903906
Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Sorry about the mistake...

Correction made to the original post regarding weight...

Regards,

BWJ

Quick Reply: Baja Rack is on...