Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bah!! Can't figure out my diffs!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bah!! Can't figure out my diffs!

I'm been searching around and can't figure out what type of 4wd system I have on my 96 4wd ltd. I just picked this thing up and I'm a complete noob to the 4x4 scene. I looked through here, but couldn't find what i'm looking for.
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

Everything is OE on the truck. I'm pretty sure I don't have any lockers. Is it a LSD on the rear? What about the center and front diffs?

It would be hard for me to believe that there are open diffs on all 3. I was under the impression that on 96 4runners you had to push the transfer case lever to go from 2wd hi to 4wd hi, but mine has a button for 4wd hi.

Please help. I just need to know what I gots or in what mode I have what.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:25 AM

Look to the left of the steering wheel on the dash board and to the right of the dimmer nob. There should be a RR diff lock button there, if there isn't...then you have no locker. The center and front diff are more than likely open as the center locking diff doesn't come until the newer years and I've never heard of a front diff being locked from factory. I'm not sure about the rear...it is possible its a limited slip but then again it could be open. Check the manual or better yet...go get it dirty and find out.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

How about some pics of your transfer case lever and some pics of your dash just to the left of the steering coloumn?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Well I was pretty sure I didn't have any lockers to begin with.

Is it a complete open diff in the back or a LSD?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM

open diffs...post your axle code, its on the drivers side door jamb
Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

I'm fairly certain you have open axles.

Only L4 and H for the x-case????
Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
all wheel drive.

You have open open open, unless you have a button on your dashboard that says "CENTER DIFF LOCK". It would maybe be by your clock?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A '96 limited with push-button 4WD and a center diff? This does not compute Did someone swap in a 1999-2002 tranny/t-case combo?

I don't think any 3rd gen 4Runners came with factory limited slips, so I doubt it has one. It definitely doesn't have a locker because there is no button for it.

Last edited by mastacox; 04-05-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM

okay...when you push that 4WD button...a little picture of 4 wheels and a frame thing, should come up on the gauge cluster. that means you are in 4WD. when that lever is forward, you are in 4 lo. when it is in the middle, you have nothing. and when it is back you are in 4 hi. when you push the button again, the little picture goes away, and you are back into two wheel drive.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

So, I'm guesing its (kinda) like my '99 Limited with the push button.

I have a push button on the side of my transfer case lever, same as yours, that allows All-Wheel-Drive on Drive pavement up to 62mph. Of course, this is also great for sketchy weather, snow, rain, etc. However, this does not lock the center diff though.

I can then shift into 4Hi, which allows 4wd for dirt roads, etc. Again, the center diff is not locked. But, the gears are reduced, and speed is limited. I forget what the maximum suggested speed is in 4Hi.

I can then sift into 4Lo, which then locks the center diff and splits the torque between the front and rear 50/50. This also reduces the gear range, and allows one to drive very slow over rough terrain.

It appears, that you have just a couple of options in your vehicle. Either All-Wheel-Drive or 4Lo. However, I would reference the owners manual for more information. Also, I would stop by the dealership and ask one of the Master Mechanics about this setup. I'm sure they could explain it a little better.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure full-time 4wd (AWD) was even an option on 1996 4Runners, Limited or not...

Something's fishy here, or I'm just confused.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know either, thats just the way it is on mine with the push button. I suppose it may help if MIdnight Runner read the owners manual. If he doesn't have it, ask the Master Tech about this strange setup. I'd like to know what the deal is with this kind of setup.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mastacox
A '96 limited with push-button 4WD and a center diff? This does not compute Did someone swap in a 1999-2002 tranny/t-case combo?

I don't think any 3rd gen 4Runners came with factory limited slips, so I doubt it has one. It definitely doesn't have a locker because there is no button for it.
My buddy has a 95.5 Tacoma ext cab 4wd loaded, p/w, p/l, sunroof, power antenna, cruise and tilt. It has the V6 and it has the push button but his is manual trans. The picture above is just push button 4wd. It is NOT AWD. I have never seen a lever in an AWD vehicle unless it comes with the choice of part-time and full-time 4wd. Part-time is AWD. If any of you are familiar with Fords with push button 4wd they use an electrical motor to move the forks in the transfer case. This is the same idea what Toyota did. I believe all the limited types had this push button transfer case.

James
Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Maj

You have a part-time 4WD system. The front and rear diffs are open (unless modified aftermarket). In "H" (high) without the 4WD button mashed you are rear wheel drive. Mash the 4WD button the transfer case locks and the Automatic Disconnect Differential engages giving you 4WD. The system is not designed to be engaged on hard surfaces (street). Moving the t-case lever to L4 puts it in low range 4WD (there is no low range 2WD selection). Mashing the 4WD button is not necessary when shifting into low. A dash light will blink until 4WD full engages (in high or low).
Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maj
You have a part-time 4WD system. The front and rear diffs are open (unless modified aftermarket). In "H" (high) without the 4WD button mashed you are rear wheel drive. Mash the 4WD button the transfer case locks and the Automatic Disconnect Differential engages giving you 4WD. The system is not designed to be engaged on hard surfaces (street). Moving the t-case lever to L4 puts it in low range 4WD (there is no low range 2WD selection). Mashing the 4WD button is not necessary when shifting into low. A dash light will blink until 4WD full engages (in high or low).
yup

I have a 96 limited. Basically you have the same thing as a manually shifted 4wd system, except instead of having the t-case shifter move to the side to engage the front output of the t-case there is an electric actuator underneath that moves with push of the button. In short, instead of moving the shift lever to the side you push the button.

IMO, manual engagement is better. Why add the weight and potential for failure? Simple mechanical operation works ok for me. Damn those soccer moms and their needs. I'd prefer hubs and cable lockers too, but unfortunately... rant over.

There is no AWD. Center diff (which isn't really a diff in the normal sense) is always locked, its just a question of whether the front is engaged or not.

good luck
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesD
It is NOT AWD. I have never seen a lever in an AWD vehicle unless it comes with the choice of part-time and full-time 4wd. Part-time is AWD.
Ahh, you are correct, apologies. i meant full time 4wd, not AWD but i didn't see the button, so this would indeed be a part time electronic case. My mistake.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Maj
Ah ok, perfect. Thank you very much. That explains things very well. The previous owner told me not to engage 4wd at all on tarmac.

With all the responses, hopefully people understand why I wasn't sure which diffs were open and which were not. Except I guess there isn't a center diff.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
Damn those soccer moms and their needs. I'd prefer hubs and cable lockers too
Agreeing... manual everything please, less chance of something dying when I need it most
Old 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Maj

Originally Posted by fork
Agreeing... manual everything please, less chance of something dying when I need it most
Amen. For my rig, 4WD is engaged in the t-case via an electric motor. The motor sometimes does not want to work leaving me out in the 2WD cold. Since the problem is intermittent, I can't get it to misbehave when I want to troubleshoot operation.

Apparently, soccer moms find locking hubs and moving a transfer case lever barbaric (like any of them would ever use 4WD anyway). So the manufacturers cater to them and the rest of us are now stuck with the woosy, unreliable 4WD systems...
Old 04-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
I learned a LOT about differentials (front, rear, center) by checking the site: www.howstuffworks.com

No disrespect, but it has models where you can SEE things in motion and how they lock together, etc... It cleared up that whole center diff (AWD) issue in my mind, anyway. Just search for differentials at the site. You'll see why it's a great learning/confirming tool.