Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Baffle Broken Inside Cat Converter...How to Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**UPDATE: My cats are okay...the Dealer just tried to screw my over! See Post #23 for more info.**

Ok, so while we are on the subject of catalytic converters failing or being stolen, I’ve got an issue w/ mine; thought I’d seek some YT advice.
Since Feb, a baffle has broken inside the 2nd cat on my 4Runner. It’s not throwing any codes, but it’s annoying as hell to hear during acceleration. Gives me a headache now and then.

Is the best possible solution to cut the cat out, remove the loose baffle and just weld the cat back up? Dealer wants $1,118.00 for a new cat, so that option is out. I’d prefer NOT to go w/ an aftermarket cat, so no go there either.

I know for a fact I can get a new OEM cat for only $300 installed (part of the Govt's "Go Green" campaign currenly enforce), but I first have to prove that my oem cat will fail an emission test. Lasted tested 2 months ago, it passed w/ flying colors.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 11-21-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
What baffle are you refering to? As far as I remember, there is no baffle in there. If something is rattling around, your cat is shot.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Well maybe not a baffle per se, but some of the honeycomb material inside. I can tap it w/ a hammer and hear the stuff rattle around. Obviously it rattles much louder when accelerating.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea your cat is toast...........
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Well maybe not a baffle per se, but some of the honeycomb material inside. I can tap it w/ a hammer and hear the stuff rattle around. Obviously it rattles much louder when accelerating.
The "honeycomb" material IS the catalyst. Your cat is junk, you cannot simply "fix it" you need to replace the cat, and also figure out what is causing your cat to burn out in the first place!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 PM

^x2 on the cat being bad. As well as the honeycomb, there are rings inside of there that are barely tac welded in there. When mine went bad these wussy tacks rotted and those rings were rattlin' around in there...very annoying. Not only that but if your honeycomb is at the crumbling point, if it's anything like mine, that honeycomb will come out the tailpipe.

I had a bad sensor which was causing the cat to work MUCH harder, and eventually the codes were thrown and the cat failed. Just a matter of time now, but if I recall the idiot light would come on for about a week, and then be off for months...

I ended up going with a high flow cat (magnaflow) and I haven't had any issues for over a year now...
Old 07-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I did figure it was toast, but again, my truck still passes the emissions test w/ flying colors....and it has sound like this for quite some time. I keep waiting for a code to be thrown, but it has yet to happen. Therefore, until I fail the emisson test or a code is thrown, is there a real a reason to have it replaced other than the fact it's just noisey?

And since it has failed, why not just remove it, clean out the loose material inside and weld it back up? I mean, it could be the tac welds that have come loose and are rattling around.

Worst comes to worse, I may just have to go w/ Magnaflow. It's just irritating that the cat has obviously failed, yet I continue to have the cleanest emmisions around.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM

my Magnaflow cost me about $70...and why weld a cat back up w/ no guts...? It would essentially be straight piped...and then most certainly won't pass emissions.

When my cat went bad I saw a slight decrease in mpg...not sure if this matters to you or not, but after a new cat and O2, back up to good fuel economy...
Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KrashDH
my Magnaflow cost me about $70...and why weld a cat back up w/ no guts...? It would essentially be straight piped...and then most certainly won't pass emissions.

When my cat went bad I saw a slight decrease in mpg...not sure if this matters to you or not, but after a new cat and O2, back up to good fuel economy...
The only reason I wanted to remove it, clean it out and weld it back up was cost. Again, it's obviously toast, yet I still pass the emission test.

Guess I'm just a bit optimistic about aftermarket cats...seems like I always read about them throwing a code. I may look into the Mags today though.

And is it safe to assume my 02 sen is still good since my 4Runner has yet to throw any codes?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 AM

have your cat stolen.....
Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

lol...yet I've considered that as of late. Just need to stash the sawzall at a friend's house I guess.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Does Magnaflow not offer a cat for a '02 4Runner?? Every site I come across only offers a Magnaflow front cat, but not the 2nd cat...Any reason why a magnaflow cat that fits a '99 or '00 4Runner would not fit my '02?

This site has a Mag cat for a '00 4Runner for only $66...yet not one for mine: http://www.magnaflowcatalyticconvert...tion=0&page=10.

However, Eastern Cat offers a cat for only $78 specifically for my '02...just never heard of Eastern before:
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ota&md=4Runner
Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

...is there a real a reason to have it replaced other than the fact it's just noisey?
Some 2000-2002 MR2 Spyders had pre-cat and main cat failures. When the honeycomb failed it partially restricted exhaust flow, created back pressure all the way into the cylinders, collapsed the oil rings allowing massive blowby and before the owner realized the oil loss, roasted little 1ZZ's. They never threw codes before grenading.

I'd replace the cat ASAP.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
I'd replace the cat ASAP.
I'm open to brand suggestions
Old 07-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I've never replaced a cat. Luckily, bad cat (low efficiency) codes from the past were solved with new O² sensors.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Buhundred
Just weld in one of these cats. I've seen a few members on here use them and I don't think I saw anything about them throwing codes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories
I may just go ahead and get it...it's worth a shot.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-22-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I think you will be fine welding one of those up. I don't think it will throw a code. Like I said, I have that setup and it's been over a year and I'm still going strong.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Magnaflow not offer a cat for a '02 4Runner?? Every site I come across only offers a Magnaflow front cat, but not the 2nd cat...Any reason why a magnaflow cat that fits a '99 or '00 4Runner would not fit my '02?

This site has a Mag cat for a '00 4Runner for only $66...yet not one for mine: http://www.magnaflowcatalyticconvert...tion=0&page=10.

However, Eastern Cat offers a cat for only $78 specifically for my '02...just never heard of Eastern before:
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ota&md=4Runner
Sounds like your 4runner came from the Republic of California. You might try a search on CA cats. They are different from the ones the rest of the world uses.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

He doesn't need a CA catalytic converter, all 01-02 4Runners came with daul catalytic converters IIRC. He would need a CA catalytic converter if he lived in CA or his truck would not pass emissions but he does not live in CA.
That is correct.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KrashDH
I think you will be fine welding one of those up. I don't think it will throw a code. Like I said, I have that setup and it's been over a year and I'm still going strong.
Just weld in one of these cats. I've seen a few members on here use them and I don't think I saw anything about them throwing codes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

Got one on order

Quick Reply: Baffle Broken Inside Cat Converter...How to Fix?